gordiegaffer

Coach Net Or FMCA Roadside Assistance?

Its been one year that I last replied to this subject. I still am very pleased with AARP The Hartford for my insurance needs. I do not think that the other guys come close to the coverage, but that"s just my opinion. $2100.00 for 12 months for a 2017 Chevy Cruze Hatch Back and a 2007 40ft Forest River Charleston. On the RV the Towing and labor roadside assistance is included as long as you have the comprehensive coverage that costs $260.00 per year. This includes unlimited towing and labor, you just pay for parts. This includes fuel if you admit that you ran out:ph34r: and jump starts ect... Flat or blowout service no charge you just pay the cost of the tire and that's it. If your batteries take a dump while on the road they will come to you and install them and you just pay for the batteries, no labor or road service. Anyway I sleep good at night and sometimes during the day, afternoon naps , knowing that's one last thing I need to worry about. Again this is just my opinion , not ditching any other coverage out on the market . Check out your insurance coverage and you just might be surprised that you have roadside coverage that you did not know you had. I had Good Sam coverage for two years until my agent asked why, because I had better coverage in my policy. I had no reply except that I thought I needed it . Live and learn.

I don't do business with anybody associated with AARP.

$2,100 for a year is pretty steep!  I paid GS $270 for three years.  As noted in an earlier post, I had a RF blow out.  GS brought a new tire and rim (for which I prepaid), mounted the new tire, credited me for the rim, which I did not need, and helped trouble shoot an electrical issue that occurred when the tire blew and ripped out some wires.  All without charge...other than the tire.  I did give him a nice tip.:lol:

I might have not been clear in my last post but the $2,100 is not the cost of the roadside assistance it is the yearly premium for the car and the coach with full coverage ( 500 deductible on collision and 0 deductible on comprehensive ) The roadside assistance is included.I also had GS and was happy with the coverage , but never needed to call for assistance. As I stated in the post last year if someone is happy with their coverage , that's all that counts. 

We have had including last year both Good Sams and Coach Net. Don't how we manged to do that.

We had good and bad experiences with Good Sams such as the provider would not the distance to replace the tire and Good Sams did  not have or could not ind anyone else, on a Sunday.

Coach net had nothing but good things to say. They had a Service Provider come from Rogersville, Ark ha way across the state to help us. And we have been towed with right equipment to a Freightliner Dealer for a Freightiner chasis problem.

I could not believe wife paid the 249.00 for the new Coach net that will only tow to nearest provider , even if the provider cannot handle the problem, not being familiar with MHs etc.

This is the new way of  business, buy a brand with outstanding product and service, change the contract to maximize profitability, and multiply the price, with most Folks thinking they are still buying the superior product. Eventually they will go down the tube.

So, does the FMCA coverage say to nearest facility " capable" supposedly, of fixing the problem, even if they are only open mon through friday, or does it stipulate to facility you choose like the old Coach Net, and is it more economical?

Got to decide this week.

On 2/23/2018 at 4:47 PM, timetraveler said:

So, does the FMCA coverage say to nearest facility " capable" supposedly, of fixing the problem, even if they are only open mon through friday, or does it stipulate to facility you choose like the old Coach Net, and is it more economical?

As a point of information....AAA Premiere including RV'S is available and they will tow you to the facility you choose within the 200 miles tow range...oh yeah, they will make sure it's an approved AAA garage...so, you probably won't get ripped off.. they vette the people they work with... 

The AAA has been operating in the United States for over 100 years.

Edited by hermanmullins

MWeiner, I would think you could just add roadside assistance to your insurance policy for $7 to $10 a year and forget about it.  It isn't like you have some big special RV to have to worry about towing or fixing a flat on.  

23 hours ago, MWeiner said:

As a point of information....AAA Premiere including RV'S is available and they will tow you to the facility you choose within the 200 miles tow range...oh yeah, they will make sure it's an approved AAA garage...so, you probably won't get ripped off.. they vette the people they work with... 

The AAA has been operating in the United States for over 100 years.

That could be a problem for motorhome owners. I've never seen a Freightliner dealer that's a AAA member or a tow company capable of towing my motorhome. 

11 hours ago, ISPJS said:

MWeiner, I would think you could just add roadside assistance to your insurance policy for $7 to $10 a year and forget about it.  It isn't like you have some big special RV to have to worry about towing or fixing a flat on.  

There's a lot more to a AAA membership than just roadside assistance.. obviously, you don't know that...I've been a member for more than 35 years... I'm sure not going to try and even explain this to you or anyone else..

http://www.camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks

1 hour ago, MWeiner said:

There's a lot more to a AAA membership than just roadside assistance.. obviously, you don't know that...I've been a member for more than 35 years... I'm sure not going to try and even explain this to you or anyone else..

Yep....they can help me book a hotel but I haven't stayed in one in over ten years. My coach has more square footage than some hotel and with a modern kitchen and large shower that has endless hot water. Like I posted earlier, can AAA refer me to any qualified towing company or mechanic to work on my Cummins engine or Freightliner chassis? My roadside service covers every vehicle I drive including yours if I was driving it. 

49 minutes ago, elkhartjim said:

Yep....they can help me book a hotel but I haven't stayed in one in over ten years. My coach has more square footage than some hotel and with a modern kitchen and large shower that has endless hot water. Like I posted earlier, can AAA refer me to any qualified towing company or mechanic to work on my Cummins engine or Freightliner chassis? My roadside service covers every vehicle I drive including yours if I was driving it when it broke down and would tow it a thousand miles if there was the nearest qualified repair facility. Blow your Mercedes engine in the Big Bend National Park and see what it costs to be towed to Odessa or El Paso.

AAA helps with car registration, sales, insurance matters, overseas travel, DMV and much more.... It's not just hotel rooms....

Last time I enquirer they only did cars pickups and vans. They would only change tire if you had a spare. They told me they did not carry specialized equipment for larger truck tires.

We had AAA and their car insurance once upon a time. My father in law gave it to my wife when she got her license at 17. He told her don't call me 1st, call them :lol:. She had it for quite sometime afterwards. When they offered insurance we hopped on board, rates were decent. We bought our first motorhome and they wouldn't cover it. I have since looked into it a few years ago and they considered our motorhome a commercial vehicle, wouldn't cover it. Bought into Coachnet then, since dropped that also, waste of money. All the money spent on that nonsense I could tow my coach coast to coast and enjoy the sites by now :D.

Never looked back. My car/coach registration I do online, takes 5 minutes. Can't imagine paying for a service to help with such a minuscule task. Maybe a hotel discount...wait we don't stay in hotels, have a motorhome full size kitchen endless hot water, King size bed, same appliances, well except the Kitchen Aid mixer but I've got duplicates of everything else. 

I only stay I hotes for work, I have so many points I'll never use them between Hilton and Marriott.

11 hours ago, MWeiner said:

http://www.camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks

Well thank GOD for that. I am tired of your condescending attitude that you are the only one who is smart enough to make THE RIGHT decisions on what to buy what to drive and where to stay. 

"I've been a member for more than 35 years.." So what!!  That makes you a rooky compared to a lot of people on here. It has been posted by many people that AAA has not responded properly to calls about RV's. They may do OK on little campervans but don't try to convince me that they are what I need because you say so.

"AAA helps with car registration, sales, insurance matters, overseas travel, DMV and much more.... It's not just hotel rooms...." By the way the DMV is where you register your car, and no I don't need any help as I can do my registration from home. Why would I pay extra? 

I drove a compact little campervan 40 years ago and thought it was neat but I grew up and moved up. I no longer want or desire to be told about what would be "best" for me to drive. I had to laugh at your one more bit about "Ideal RV Length for Fitting into National Park Campsites". One more stupid comment from the un knowing.  Is camping in National parks the only camping you do? What makes you think that just because you Think you have the perfect size camper that you can get into a campground in a National or State Park? Let me see Yellowstone National park offers 12 campgrounds with over 2,000 sites. Yet during the peak season they have over 30,000 visitors a day. I will continue to make reservations for the campgrounds where I want to stay and they are mostly commercial places with more  room and more amenities and about the same price as dry camping in the park.

Bill