marynphil

Moving from CA to GA

Question

We are new members and new to the diesel pusher community.  We just got a map and route and mistakenly thought we would get recommended campgrounds along the way.  We are hoping to travel about 6 hours per day to make the journey enjoyable and not just from one destination to another.  We have chosen this route hopefully for a best chance of decent weather.  Is there a website, app or publication that could assist us with finding places to stay because we have no idea how many miles per day we are actually able to comfortably travel?

10 answers to this question

If you have a smartphone, RVParky is a pretty good app for what you are asking for. Also 6 hours driving is a pretty good allocation, about 250 to 350 miles per day, depending on route and weather conditions. Welcome to the forum, many happy trails and tales to you.

What route have you planned?  Maybe others can give you an idea of place to go and things to do.

3 hours ago, marynphil said:

We are new members and new to the diesel pusher community.  We just got a map and route and mistakenly thought we would get recommended campgrounds along the way.  We are hoping to travel about 6 hours per day to make the journey enjoyable and not just from one destination to another.  We have chosen this route hopefully for a best chance of decent weather.  Is there a website, app or publication that could assist us with finding places to stay because we have no idea how many miles per day we are actually able to comfortably travel?

Welcome to the forum. You have a good plan

Here is a list of tips and apps. 

I use google Maps to see how far it is between places I plan to stop and Google Earth to see what some stretches of road look like.

http://www.rvparky.com/ Easey tool to find parks/places to stay.

http://www.rvparkreviews.com/ once you found a place see what others think about it.

https://www.nps.gov/index.htm  Information on the national parks.

https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm  Also look at getting a pass and if you are 62 or older definitely get a Senior Pass it is a $10 Lifetime pass that covers everyone in your car.

You may have to wait till you get to your first park, they have a great way to record the parks you have ben to. It is called a Passport, you buy it in the visitor’s center, it kind of looks like a Passport but you add stickers and stamp the date and time you were at the park. 

http://www.passport-america.com/  One other thing you need is get a Passport America discount card. This is a tool to help campgrounds fill empty spots during the week or slow times. Each campground sets the time and discount but most times it is 50% and some places 3-4 days. We saved about $450.00 last year. I think I got my $44.00 back.

I like Yelp when on the road to see what places there are and to get reviews, see menus. Who wants to drive 2000 miles to eat the same fast food stuff you have at home.

Oh Ranger is a park locater for those hidden gems like Antelope Island in the great salt lake.

Rest Stops, is a good app. You might look at the apps for all the big truck stops Pilot Flying J, Loves, or get the ALLSTAYS Big Truck Stops.

For navigation, I highly recommend CoPilot. We have used it for several years and it does a great job. The big benefit is you can down load maps when you have Wi-Fi and it doesn’t use data. I have it on the phones and on my tablet. The tablet gives a bigger picture to see and follow.

Gas Buddy You can download it from your app store. Find cheap gas and you can record your gas/fuel expenses. You can look ahead and see what the prices are where you are headed . It helps plan fuel stops.

Thats enough for now. Let me know if you have any questions.

Bill

On February 10, 2017 at 7:13 PM, WILDEBILL308 said:

For navigation, I highly recommend CoPilot. We have used it for several years and it does a great job. The big benefit is you can down load maps when you have Wi-Fi and it doesn’t use data. I have it on the phones and on my tablet. The tablet gives a bigger picture to see and follow.

We were really excited about the prospect of having a bigger picture, sharing a common GPS. and putting an end to our endless litany of navigation misadventures. RVCopilot promised to be the perfect solution. I paid the $39 and entered some routings that had led to grief in the past. Sure enough, RVCpilot took us right through those same problem areas. Too, using its Google search feature didn't get ordinary Google results at all: certain chains of campgrounds are "masked," so users cannot locate them. 

The software only accommodates rigs up to 45' total length, and 26,000 pounds.

We ring in at 65 feet and 53,000 pounds, so it is clearly not suited to us and a refund from iTunes would surely be forthcoming.  Right?

Not so fast. As you can see in the screenshot below, refunds aren't authorized via iTunes. Then, when you contact the people who distribute the software, they are suddenly unreachable.

Avoid this faulty product.

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.56.31 PM.png

Sorry, but the only thing I know about that is 26,000 lbs and a RV is a fifth wheel over all length.  A DP rig goes around 47,000+ in a 45 footer and I know of no rig at 65 foot ! :blink::wacko:

9 hours ago, AndyShane said:

Screen Shot 2017-04-19 at 10.56.31 PM.png

Yes my bad I should have pointed out I use the basic CoPilot and haven't tried the RV version. The reviews didn't look that good. With any navigation device I like to look at a map to verify the route. In Settings under Vehicle Routing Profiles You might see if changing some of the preferences improve your results.

Bill

Carl, I did see one that was an articulated bus converted to a n RV. The picture below is not the one that I saw but is similar.

Image result for articulated rv

23 hours ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Yes my bad I should have pointed out I use the basic CoPilot and haven't tried the RV version. The reviews didn't look that good. With any navigation device I like to look at a map to verify the route. In Settings under Vehicle Routing Profiles You might see if changing some of the preferences improve your results.

Bill

Not at all. I'm sure it works well for some folks.

Funny, that they steadfastly refuse to make refunds if buyers discover it doesn't work for them. This was in my Inbox today.

Thank you for contacting CoPilot.

We're sorry to hear you are disappointed with our CoPilot RV app. Some of the topics you mention in your App Store review we believe we can clarify for you, and for some of the other issues you've described we'd like to see if we can put them right.

POIs only showing nearby. 
When searching for POIs the app by default searches those nearby. You can switch by tapping on " Search nearby" to "In Different City" if you have not yet entered a stop. 
If you already have a stop entered you'll have "On My Route" and "At My Destination" as your options.
Missing POIs
If you could provide us with some additional information on which ones there are, we can double check with our POI data provider.
Routing Issues
This may be caused by a missing size restriction within the map data. If you could provide us with the details of the sample routes you tried, and where the trouble points are we'll certainly investigate what the issue is and try to correct.
Maximum Dimensions
Your use case for the RV app with a 45ft RV and 20ft car hauler is something we'd like to look at in more detail with our product management team so we'll keep you posted on that item.

If you have further questions; please do not hesitate to let us know.

Regards,

CoPilot Consumer Support