pcowen

Hitch Pins - Locks Or Clips

Are there any thoughts on using hitch pins with locks versus clips. Had a clip stolen in a Florida rest area, luckily I ID'ed the problem before hitting the road and had a spare.

Worry with locks is keeping lock clean and getting on or off easily. Any feedback greatly appreciated. 

Phil

I haven't had a problem, but I do a walk around if I have been out of sight of the rig. Most of the time I do it anyway. I know of some who use locks and I don't know if they have problems.

Bill 

I have been using locks for the last 6 years, they are a brass body and I occasionally lightly spraying them with rust check in the red can and have had very little problems getting them off.

Phil.

Have used both.  Prefer just the pin!  I unfortunately miss placed the lock key, some years back...my parking spot was a back in.:o made for a very long afternoon, I did find some bolt cutters and saw blades...I still have them in my garage! :lol: That ordeal, was in Red River, NM.

Carl

I use pins, but that is part of my preflight inspection if the toad sat outside all night hooked to the MH.

Have always used locking hitch pin. 10 years now.  Keep the key on my Motorhome key ring so it's always with us.  

Have never had an issue. And good piece of mind when I leave the tow bar on the MH when we're away site seeing, shopping, touring , it's secure.  

Tow bar to Toad, Pins, no locks. I have considered it but never moved on the purchase. I keep a spare set in the basement. Every stop I walk around and look, push/pull inspect hoses and light cable. The hitch riser on the coach and the tow bar to the coach has locks, those are keyed the same and the key is on the coach key ring.

Same as you now, Joe.  In 34 years of towing a toad, have never had anyone attempt to take it..even in the industrial area of Gary, Indiana, as we did an overnight in a parking lot...1984 ! :)

I am more concerned with my tow bar walking away at a CG or parking for the night then I am the Toad. When we park for the night I set the parking brake on the toad, shift the transfer case back into 2wd, lock it up and it has a factory alarm and its equipped with a hard top. I figured if you tampered with the toad the alarm would wake us. While we are disconnecting the toad at a CG the coach is idling down (cooling) so I don't want to pull the keys to disconnect, if I keep them separate I know I will loose them :).

Why back into 2 wheel drive?  So many accidental set off of alarms that no one pays attention anymore.  My Jeep is always looked when in tow!  A thief is opportunistic, you of all should know that.  If it takes more than 30 seconds, he's looking for a easier hit !

I lost the key one time also, so no more locks, although I have considered a combination lock, that way the combination could be written down and stored in the coach.

I put it back into gear, just in case someone thinks it would be ok to unhitch it and push it away. If they gain access to the interior the parking brake being set is obvious with that being said most thieves are dumb, to shift the transfer case into neutral so it rolls wouldn't cross their minds. The alarm only has to wake us up, and it will, DW sleeps with one eye open :P.

Joe. I understand fully, why DW sleeps with one eye open !  Apparently keeping track of you isn't easy...:rolleyes: I could not help it. :lol:

49 minutes ago, manholt said:

Joe. I understand fully, why DW sleeps with one eye open !  Apparently keeping track of you isn't easy...:rolleyes: I could not help it. :lol:

Probably the reason :lol:

On 2/13/2017 at 7:19 AM, jleamont said:

I am more concerned with my tow bar walking away at a CG or parking for the night then I am the Toad. When we park for the night I set the parking brake on the toad, shift the transfer case back into 2wd, lock it up and it has a factory alarm and its equipped with a hard top. I figured if you tampered with the toad the alarm would wake us. While we are disconnecting the toad at a CG the coach is idling down (cooling) so I don't want to pull the keys to disconnect, if I keep them separate I know I will loose them :).

My ignition key is detachable fem the key ring. About the only time it is attached is when we are not traveling.  By having a detachable I can put it up on the TV crank handle so I remember to lower the antenna when I take the key down.  All other keys are in my pocket.  By detaching the ignition key when moving it keeps he weight of the heavier key ring from pulling and possibly destroying he ignition switch.

Okay, so I'm paranoid.

My receiver hitch is a keyed lock with the key on the master key ring.  All other clips are the circle-clip.  So far no problems.

I keep spare pins and I check the hitch every time I am away from the coach for any period of time.  Stop at a truck stop?  Check the pins before I leave!  I also had a pin removed at a truck stop once but was lucky enough (smart) to check everything including tires and belts and towed before hitting the road.  Pulled out the spare pin and we were on the road as if nothing ever happened.

On 2/14/2017 at 5:34 PM, manholt said:

Wayne.  Do you have to leave key in ignition when towing?  I don't,

Carl 

Carl,

Only if I need the coach engine running. If I'm going down hill I can shut it off and remove the key, coast and save fuel.

In a pinch, if you should lose a hitch pin, and do not have a replacement, an electrical wire tie of adequate size works well, at least until it can be properly replaced. I keep several sizes in the coach at all times.