nat58

Starter Won't Engage When Key Is Turned

Check with mfg for location of the starter relay 

or follow the click or the small wire on the starter 

nat58.  Welcome back ! :)

When was the last time it cranked over?  Is it cold weather where your at? Since your an electrician, I suspect you have checked your batteries for proper water level and voltage!?  This is sort of like last time, Nat.  Would like a tad more info ?

Carl

nat58,

As Carl just said, a tad bit more information. 

Gas or Diesel?

Engine Make, Cummins, Detroit, Navistar, Ford, Chevy.???

First make sure your batteries are fully charged. Check for corroded post and lugs.  

You stated that all you could hear was a clicking noise. Sounds to me like a Bad Starter Solenoid. 

Herman

Look at your Allison shift pad (assuming this is a diesel coach with Allison 3000 transmission).

Does it illuminate as it should when you turn the key?

Turn on the dash HVAC fan which I assume only runs with the key on.

Does it function each time you turn the key or only when the engine tries to start.

If these things are not happening as they should, the IGNITION SOLENOID or switch itself may be the culprit.

If these things work, then, yes look further back in the coach.

If you determine that either the ignition solenoid or ignition switch may be bad, let us know and we can walk you though troubleshooting and also emergency "work arounds".

A couple of points, I have a Detroit Diesel...it does not have a wait to start light and, before turning the key, you must wait until all the lights on the dash quit flashing and all the beeping stops.  The key does nothing until the prestart flashing and beeping stop.

Good information, Brett, thanks.

1 hour ago, FIVE said:

A couple of points, I have a Detroit Diesel...it does not have a wait to start light and, before turning the key, you must wait until all the lights on the dash quit flashing and all the beeping stops.  The key does nothing until the prestart flashing and beeping stop.

Good information, Brett, thanks.

I would have to wait a long time because the low air buzzer won't shut up till air preshure comes up.  :P

Bill

Glad to know you found the problem. Goes to show, sometimes it isn't any of the common items, battery voltage, solenoid, or connections, sometimes it realey is a bad starter.:o

Bill