pcowen

Bleach In Water System For Sanitizing

I will be due intermixing my unit soon.  Ideally I would like to being to sanitize water system after flushing antifreeze.  

Are there any guidelines for time I can leave water tank with bleach mixed in.

Could be a week before I get on road to agitate the system.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I use hydrogen peroxide instead of chlorine bleach, I usually use a quart in approximately 5 gallons of fresh water in the fresh water tank, then use pump to flush all of the lines, starting with the valve farther away from the tank, then to the ones closer in, one at a time. Bleach is OK, but the smell lingers for a while, and the peroxide is odorless and has equal  sanitizing capabilities. Also with either, you will need to use fresh water after use and flush well. If you add sanitizer before fresh water, the filling should agitate sufficiently, I like leaving home or any place with good water in the tank.

I do the same and also, since I have a water hose reel, I pour about a quart in to hose and then hook up to faucet and run some water thru, turn off and let sit for 20 minutes, then turn faucet on and run water thru system.  I do the reel every month during the hot months and fresh water tank 2 times a year!

Carl

We also use hydrogen peroxide in our fresh tank after thoroughly flushing the RV antifreeze out. I just leave the HP in and it will break down to water after a couple days. BUT, I must also say that we do not drink the water from the fresh water tank. We use bottled water for drinking and making my coffee.

4 hours ago, nitehawk said:

We also use hydrogen peroxide in our fresh tank after thoroughly flushing the RV antifreeze out. I just leave the HP in and it will break down to water after a couple days. BUT, I must also say that we do not drink the water from the fresh water tank. We use bottled water for drinking and making my coffee.

Why?  After you go through the proper sanitizing procedure it will probably be better than what you have at home. I have a filter on the inlet hose and a filter on the water dispenser faucet. Yes I will check out the water where I am camping before hooking up. Several times I have gotten a wad of rusty water when I first turn on the faucet. 

Bill

I empty the fresh water tank and then pour a pint of hydrogen peroxide into the fill hose and run about 10 gallons of water into the tank.  I run water thru each faucet and the hot water tank.  Let stand for a couple of hours and then fill the tank and I'm good to go.  Been doing this for many years.

Bill, we sanitize ours, I have an inline filter and do not drink it either. Did for a while then..... lets just say we all spent a lot of time sitting down :(. DW buys spring water by the gallon we keep one cold, one room temp (for Keurig coffee maker) and spares under the dinette. I drink probably 1.5 gallons of water a day so an alternative would be nice but not worth the risk. I will most likely buy a filter pitcher this year to keep in the refrigerator.

Maybe it's a full timers thing, but I can't imagine not using my on-board water supply or the water from the campground water supply for my drinking and cooking needs.  If you have an ice maker that water is going to be coming from that source anyway.  I added a separate refrigerator / ice maker filter for even better ice and water but everything else comes in from clean city water connections.  The water has a small amount of chlorine and keeps my tanks clean and the water tasty year-round.

Joe.  Brita water pitcher...I use mine at home for coffee.  In coach, I agree fully with BillA and Desertdeal.  I remember back when you could not drink the water in about 2 dozen Countries (probably still can't) and Tourists would order Bourbon or Scotch on the rocks...Why do I have Montezuma's revenge?  Duh !

Carl  

We cook with it, since its boiling its ok. I use ice cube trays we fill in the coach with spring water. Carl, I agree on the rocks...wonder where those cubes came from :lol:...some people :blink:.

Oh, well.  At least your a harmless neurotic ! :lol: Just one question.  How does you and your young family get fluoride into your system?  There's a lot of things that our bodies need for good health, that comes from water and not purified spring water.

Carl

The thing most people don't understand is if you travel. That is with a capitol period. You are being exposed to different microbes. Do you eat out, do you buy food when on the road? Have you ever eaten any fresh produce in your coach or out at a restaurant when traveling?

The bottled water may not be as pure as some think.  http://courses.washington.edu/h2owaste/assignments/ExtraBottled Water.pdf

Yes I have some bottled water  in the fridge because it is convenient to use the bottled water when going on side trips because I can just dispose of the bottles (properly of course) and not be carrying an empty container around.:D

Bill 

Pick on Joe day! :lol::lol: We got to remember that most Science classes was not mandatory or perhaps available when he was in High School...he's a pup compared to most of us! :o:huh:

HAHA, not picking on Joe, teaching Joe Day, think positive Carl.....geese :).

We all drink the water at home, runs through a filter on the door of the refrigerator. Its City Water, not from a well. Our last coach we drank the water, I had a separate spigot on the sink for drinking water with a filter under the counter.

Bill, unfortunately we eat out often while traveling. While it is enjoyable its expensive. We also like to grocery shop while traveling, stuff you can get in most parts of the US you cannot buy in the NE :angry:.  Now class are we consuming enough fluoride and microbes? There is going to be a quiz on this later :lol:

With that reply Joe, my brother and his family were transferred to Pittsburgh in 1964 from Birmingham of course. We all love turnip greens here in the south, so sis in law went to the local grocery store to get turnip greens, only found turnip roots, she inquired where the greens were, you probably guessed it, they were in the dumpster. She asked the produce manager to save some for her next time, they ate greens the entire four years that they were in Pa., for FREE.;)

Had a neighbor that was pulling beets out of his garden. He would break the greens off and throw them in a pile. I asked what he was going to do with them and when he said throw them away I asked for a couple grocery sack fulls.  Took them in the house, Earlene prepared them, brought a bowl with butter on to to the fence and said, "Try these."  Never could get another bag of greens from him.

And vice-a-versa Joe.......we can't find fresh pierogis anywhere other than the salt belt!  I got hooked on them when living in PIT.

I miss those but not the cold!

Blake