pcowen

Bleach In Water System For Sanitizing

Would someone tell me if the water purification filter brand is a big deal?  I have a Flow-pur 8-2 cartridge assembly. I went to the local rv dealer and paid $76 for what it looks like on Amazon I can get for about $17 a piece or $34. 

2003 Monaco Windsor PST 40'

Paul

Paul,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Please tell us the make and model (or better, click on the "chain icon" above and post a link to each so we can compare specs.

Thanks.

Paul.  Welcome to the Forum!:)

Yes, it would be beneficial if we knew make/model, there are a lot off differences between 2002 & 2017.

Okay got it. 

WaterPur CCI-10-Ca-$38. Each rv store

WaterPur CCI-10-CLW-2 pack for $16.95 (amazon) I'm guessing this may be a knockoff. 

Thanks

Paul

I just hope it's the same filter!🤷‍♂️

Thanks and thanks for the welcome. I graduated from 5th wheel to mh. Looking forward to getting down your way for some fresh seafood and Skippers for breakfast. Just pitching in since I noticed you guys like to talk about food!😃

Paul

Skippers-- WAIT-- with a boat at Watergate Marina for the last 20 years, we KNOW Skippers. It is the breakfast place and, at least before Hurricane Harvey was the place for Greek food.

Brett

Skippers in Florida is a form of lobster....been to Brett's Skippers, when I had 2 boats hanging side by side in Clear Lake.  Wonder if it's still there?

Paul, same filter, just modern!

What is the proper ratio of Bleach to water?  1 cup per 5 gal capacity??    1 cup per 15 gal capacity ??  I have heard both.

The Class-C was drained and had antifreeze over winter. Was drained but not flushed when I left campground after Perry in March. Want to sanitize and flush before I head out in 3 weeks.

Here is what my manual says for an 85 Gallon tank: Works for me and I have been doing it for many years.

City Water Tank and Hose Disinfection

This procedure can be used periodically to sanitize the city water hose, and can be used as an alternate method of adding bleach solution to the fresh water tank if desired.

1. Connect a water hose to the Fresh Water Inlet (located in the water service center).

2. Turn the Fresh Water valve to the Tank Fill

3. Remove the Full-Coach Water Filtration cartridge from the filter canister. Refit empty canister to filter head for procedure.
(My Note: Disconnect any other filters, under sink, refrigerator - they make a bypass plug for the one under the sink.)

4. Hold the “city end” of the water hose upright and use a funnel to pour 1 1/2 cups of household chlorine bleach (sodium hypochlorite solution) into the hose. Keep the end of the hose held upright to avoid draining the bleach solution.

5. Connect the hose to a city water source and turn on slowly, allowing the water to force the bleach through the hose, then continue filling the tank with water. (This will disinfect the city water hose at the same time).

6. Let the system stand at least 4 hours when disinfecting with 50 ppm residual chlorine. If a shorter time period is desired, then a 100 ppm chlorine concentration should be allowed to  stand in the system for at least 1 hour.

7. Drain the chlorinated water from the freshwater tank and refill with clean water.

To Wayne's list, I would add:

Be sure to use non-scented bleach.

After bleach has been in the tank for an hour, turn on pump and open each faucet (both hot and cold) and run until you smell bleach.  It will take awhile on the hot side because of the water heater.  This will insure that all lines are disinfected as well.

Sometimes takes a couple of rinses to remove chlorine smell.