spearfish1@gmail.com

Info Needed On Toad: Grand Cherokee?

Spearfish,

You can find them from time to time in the classified ad section of the monthly FMCA magazine.  Are you a member?  For example:  the November '16 issue has an '07 Grand Cherokee with a Blue Ox set-up for $7,700.

Blake

Just stay away from the 2014 and newer GC.  They have an issue with the steering that causes a Death Wobble unless a special kit is installed and installed properly.  Costs about $400 if you can find someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Bill,

I've only heard of problems with the Cherokee.  Not Grand Cherokee.  There's a difference.  We tow a 2016 Grand Cherokee and never had had a problem.

Blake

Thank you all for responding to our interest in the GC Jeep for towing behind our Motor Home.

The FMCA  Magazine,January Issue, notes that the GC requires a Quadra-Trac ll/Quadra-Drive ll 

and the vehicle needs to be four wheel-drive.  Is the towing equipment installed at the factory or can it be added to

a used vehicle.  Thank You!

Rick Barbush in Harrisburg, PA

24 minutes ago, Spearfish said:

Thank you all for responding to our interest in the GC Jeep for towing behind our Motor Home.

The FMCA  Magazine,January Issue, notes that the GC requires a Quadra-Trac ll/Quadra-Drive ll 

and the vehicle needs to be four wheel-drive.  Is the towing equipment installed at the factory or can it be added to

a used vehicle.  Thank You!

Rick Barbush in Harrisburg, PA

The towing equipment such as base plate and wiring for lights is aftermarket. I did make it part of the deal when I bought my CR-V. Even then the dealer farmed it out. There should be no difference new or used. Just get the right year base plate.  

Bill 

On 2/15/2017 at 5:20 PM, BillAdams said:

Just stay away from the 2014 and newer GC.  They have an issue with the steering that causes a Death Wobble unless a special kit is installed and installed properly.  Costs about $400 if you can find someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

The 2014 Grand Cherokees do not have any towing issues. You may be thinking of a Cherokee.

Some folks don't know how to read the whole thing, they just see the word Cherokee, and think it applies to both vehicles.

The Cherokees (not Grand) are basically 2wd and AWD/4WD Fiat suvs that are rebadged as Jeep product, complete with Transverse engines and trans-axles. The 2wd versions are front wheel drive. They are really crossovers rather than true Jeeps.

"True Jeep" = Wrangler.  I prefer the 2 door, due in part to turn radius...I'm more on 4 x 4 trails, than paved roads..:D

2 hours ago, manholt said:

"True Jeep" = Wrangler.  I prefer the 2 door, due in part to turn radius...I'm more on 4 x 4 trails, than paved roads..:D

I understand the desire to go off road. It must be a real rush. :o  Been down that road with fast and loud cars. Now I'm for smooth roads (hard to find) soft seats and Air Conditioning. :wub: Besides, the beer stays cooler so it is cool to drank when you arrive. :lol:

Herman

Well "Dad", when I get to your age :rolleyes:, I'll probably do the "soft thing" ! :lol:

Linda's toad is a nice big Expedition, fully loaded, ice chest of cold beer ! :wub:

Best of both worlds..:D

Carl 

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

I understand the desire to go off road. It must be a real rush. :o  Been down that road with fast and loud cars. Now I'm for smooth roads (hard to find) soft seats and Air Conditioning. :wub: Besides, the beer stays cooler so it is cool to drank when you arrive. :lol:

Herman

I've owned two Grand Cherokees and two Wrangler Rubicons. The beauty of the Grand Cherokees is that they can be equipped to go everywhere that a "Stock" Wrangler will do and still go down the smooth road  and rough roads smoothly. Sort of like Tiffin's "Roughing it Smoothly!" Notice that I said "stock" Wrangler. The beauty of the Wrangler is that you can turn it into anything that you want with aftermarket add on's and mods.  :P In my mind, the best thing would be to own one of each!

On February 15, 2017 at 7:01 PM, blakeloke said:

Bill,

I've only heard of problems with the Cherokee.  Not Grand Cherokee.  There's a difference.  We tow a 2016 Grand Cherokee and never had had a problem.

Blake

Ditto, the wobble as I've read was with the Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee. 

We have and flat tow a '16 Grand Cherokee Summit coupled by the Roadmaster Blackhawk II and SMI Air Force I aux. brake controller.

With >5k miles in tow thus far, we've not had any issue whatsoever, i.e. flawless. We also purchased the GC as a pre-owned vehicle with 4,900 miles on it, saved $16k vs. the cost of the same exact car brand new, then spent ~$3k having it outfitted with the Blackhawk II, AFI and Guardian Shield.

Note: during the processes of installation, we had previously planned to purchase/install and use the Invisibrake but learned from our installation techs at NIRVC that there is/can be an interface problem with the Invisibrake system and the late model Grand Cherokees' wiring hence their recommendation was to go with the SMI Air Force I which we did and have been very pleased with. We also like the small LED lights that come with the AF1 and attaches to the backside of the tow vehicle rear view mirror whereby we can confirm the lights/brake system is activated by simply applying our coach brakes and looking in our rear view camera (thus avoiding the need to run a separate wire from the tow vehicle to the dash of the coach and install an indicator light)

Preparing the Grand Cherokee for flat towing is a simple procedure and clearly outlined in the vehicle's owners manual. Takes all of 3-5 mins. and your set to go.

The AF 1 is one of the best, the other is M&G that I use, for my after market Wrangler, it works the best for me...at 60% of the price!  I have had all of them at one time or another!

Great buy on your GC!!!

On 2/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, Rewillia said:

Ditto, the wobble as I've read was with the Cherokee and not the Grand Cherokee. 

We have and flat tow a '16 Grand Cherokee Summit coupled by the Roadmaster Blackhawk II and SMI Air Force I aux. brake controller.

With >5k miles in tow thus far, we've not had any issue whatsoever, i.e. flawless. We also purchased the GC as a pre-owned vehicle with 4,900 miles on it, saved $16k vs. the cost of the same exact car brand new, then spent ~$3k having it outfitted with the Blackhawk II, AFI and Guardian Shield.

Note: during the processes of installation, we had previously planned to purchase/install and use the Invisibrake but learned from our installation techs at NIRVC that there is/can be an interface problem with the Invisibrake system and the late model Grand Cherokees' wiring hence their recommendation was to go with the SMI Air Force I which we did and have been very pleased with. We also like the small LED lights that come with the AF1 and attaches to the backside of the tow vehicle rear view mirror whereby we can confirm the lights/brake system is activated by simply applying our coach brakes and looking in our rear view camera (thus avoiding the need to run a separate wire from the tow vehicle to the dash of the coach and install an indicator light)

Preparing the Grand Cherokee for flat towing is a simple procedure and clearly outlined in the vehicle's owners manual. Takes all of 3-5 mins. and your set to go.

Just found this while researching the wobble issue with my 2017 Grand Cherokee TrailHawk... So the issue exists also with the GC. There's a forum on IRV2 concerning this but it's focus was also on the Cherokee which has a TSB issued. Haven't found a fix for the GC yet.

I'm towing with a '14 Tiffin Allegro Bus, Demco Dominator tow bar, Blue Ox base plate and Air Force 1.

Still looking for a fix. We're Hurricane Irma refugees right now but we'll check with our Jeep dealer when we get back to Florida... 

Nelson1948.  Welcome to the Forum!

Don't know where your at as a refugee and we all feel sad about the prospect of a CAT 3 rolling up the FL peninsula.  That said, I would have your GS situation taken care off where your currently at.  It will probably be month's before "your Jeep dealer" can look at your Jeep! :(

13 hours ago, manholt said:

Nelson1948.  Welcome to the Forum!

Don't know where your at as a refugee and we all feel sad about the prospect of a CAT 3 rolling up the FL peninsula.  That said, I would have your GS situation taken care off where your currently at.  It will probably be month's before "your Jeep dealer" can look at your Jeep! :(

Thanks Manholt... I was thinking it looks like it could be a long drawn out process since it looks like FCA hasn't even acknowledged the issue exists with the Grand Cherokees. The existing TSB addresses the issue with the 2014 - 2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee, and is dated February 24, 2016 so I reckoned it would be better to corner my local Jeep dealer where I bought it in case some throat grabbing is required. Once I get back down there I'll pretty much be there all winter. In the meantime I'll try the bungee-cord-tied-to-the-steering-wheel solution. I'll be calling the FCA Customer Service line tomorrow just for kicks. (We're on the Georgia/SC border just off I-85 presently)

Thanks for your concern!

Maybe there's something unique with my GC. It's a hemi powered '17 TrailHawk. The wobble seems very similar to the Cherokee - typical scenario is: Sharp left turn from a dead stop, some minor pavement dip or hump (once over a railroad crossing) then immediately after straightening out the wobble starts and the only way to stop it is come to a full stop, then start off again - somewhat annoying to anyone following, I reckon!!

I rang up FCA customer assistance today and the nice young lady was very familiar with the issue on the Cherokees. She started a new case for me so I'll letcha all know what happens.

Edit: Just heard that FCA made a change to the electric power steering starting with the 2016 GCs, so that might explain why dons2346  doesn't have a problem. What year is yours, cwswine?

Edited by nelsons1948
updated info