FMCANationalOffice

Flat Towing A 2017 Lincoln Continental

The 2017 Lincoln Continental is NOT approved for four-wheels-down towing, a Lincoln spokesman said today (February 17).

That is a reversal from the information published in the 2017 Lincoln owners manual (first printing) and in the Ford/Lincoln 2017 RV & Trailer Towing Guide.

Family Motor Coaching magazine relied on those sources, as well as email confirmation from a Lincoln media relations representative, when preparing "The 2017 Towing Lineup" that appears in the January 2017 issue. Our online towing guide will be corrected, and we will publish a correction in the magazine's April issue, which we're working on now. 

It's unclear why Lincoln originally deemed the 2017 Continental towable four wheels down, and then reversed course. Family Motor Coaching has requested an explanation.  

I'd really be steamed if I bought a Lincoln to use as a toad ('cause that's the only reason I'd buy a Lincoln) then found out it could not be used as a toad.  I kind of doubt they would be like Walmart and cheerfully refund my money.B)

This a case of Damned if you do and Damned if you don't. FMCA did their due diligence in checking all the facts with each manufacturer as to the tow ability of their respective vehicles. After the results are published one company comes back and says sorry we have decided that we don't recommend towing that unit 4 down and will not honor any warranty claims if towed 4 down. Thank you FMCA for notifying the membership so quickly.

Now if I had purchased the vehicle mentioned for the specific purpose of towing it 4 down because it was so advertised as such, then I would love to see them turn down a claim for damages. Different story for those sold after the change, but not for those sold before.

Herman    

Agree!  But then again, towing a Lincoln Continental behind a coach and not in a trailer, makes as much sense, as towing a Bentley 4 down!  Luxury cars should be in a staker or enclosed, out of sight out of mind, trailer!   That is also, probably, what the underwriters are thinking and told Lincoln to nix it...Liability issues!

Carl

Okay Carl, you are saying that towing my 2013 Lincoln MKX is a senseless mistake I made. Hmmm! I'm going to have to give that some thought.:wub:

Wayne, Maybe Carl thinks a proper toad would be a 2017 Bentley Bentayga. But I couldn't get an answer from them that it was towable 4 down. For the curious-- the one for sale near me was $250,730. ;)

Bill

Nor do I.  Wayne, yours is old, the fix was not in yet! :P  I actually have seen a RR being towed 4 down behind a Newell in Amarillo,  TX. 18 month's ago!  :wacko::rolleyes:

If REMCO doesn't make a pump or disconnect for a vehicle then it is not towable 4 down.

DW's 2004 Lincoln sits in our garage with 106,000 miles on it. Still in excellent condition.

Having two Lincoln's is the reason we have the pinto of the Winnebago line.

It is like the guy that sat on the cactus.

When asked why he did it he replied, "Well, at the time I thought it was a good thing to do."