bryanw47

Hour Meter Replacement: 8000 Onan Generator

Hour meter quit working on our Cummins Onan 8000 generator.  Purchased new meter.  

Not sure how to change reference getting to old meter and installing new one .  

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  

Thank you in advance .

I have never changed one but it can't be to hard. Sounds like famous last words doesn't it.:o Do you have the new meter? Is this the one in the coach? I bet it has 2 wires just change one at a time. It is probably held in place by a clip that needs to be squeezed in so it will pull out of the mounting bracket.

Bill

If it is like mine it is a DC hour meter, so just match up the + and - wires for the right polarity they have simple push on spade connectors.  I changed mine from a mechanical hour meter to an LCD meter because the tick tick tick was bothering me.

Same here.  My coach did not come with one inside.  Had an LED installed and it was a + and - connection. On mine, the Tech set it to the hours on the Generator (I'm second owner), that was easy also, he used a paper clip to push in to each number, even the tenth!  Changed out all inside lights with LED at same time.  The meter's been going now since November 2013.

Carl

Thanks for the replies.  The meter is located on the generator ( outside under the nose ) of the motorhome.  Need to find or figure out how remove cowling holding meter.  Yes , look's like a plug and play situation with two terminals on the meter that you attach + and - wires and a black plastic bracket that you squeeze to hold meter in place .