flyinglow

Dolly Towing

If your only option was to Dolly Tow, what preference would you use,  Electric or Hydraulic braking systems,   and would anybody have preferences as to make and models of dollies ?  

flyinglow,

We towed with a Roadmaster dolly with electric brakes for several years.  Had only one problem and that was a tire blowout.  No damage to vehicle but the dolly fender got bent up.

Actually, my dolly is looking for a new home!

Blake

Acme would be my choice if buying new also, but a PM to Joe sure can't hurt because Roadmaster is a very good brand. To send a private message, click on a member name or avatar, then message. Welcome to the forum! By the way, next to a trailer which really prefer but it is much harder to store it in a campground, I really like using a tow dolly over flat towing.

flyinglow.  Welcome to the Forum !

What make and model, do want to tow ?  What make and model coach do you have to tow it with ? 

Carl

11 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Acme would be my choice if buying new also, but a PM to Joe sure can't hurt because Roadmaster is a very good brand. To send a private message, click on a member name or avatar, then message. Welcome to the forum! By the way, next to a trailer which really prefer but it is much harder to store it in a campground, I really like using a tow dolly over flat towing.

Would you elaborate on that last statement. "I really like using a tow dolly over flat towing." Because that puts you in the extreme minority. I would go back to using a dolly if it was the only way to take a towd with me but I wouldn't prefer it. 

Bill

Bill, I know that I am in the minority on this issue, but I like the ability to tow any vehicle that has front wheel drive, we currently own 4. This way I do not need to special equip 4 vehicles, ie transmission coolers, or have to shop for a special vehicle that allows recreational towing, or need to put supplemental braking on all of these, or move one unit between those. Also I like to carry the golf cart to a lot of places, and my dolly has provisions for that, as it is a tandem dolly. The dolly has surge brakes which is legal at this time in all states that I will be going. As I stated, I still prefer a trailer, which I have a car hauler also, but most campgrounds do not have facilities to store it unless I rent an extra space, which I am not going to do. Also the only time that I have ever had an issue towing was twice, and both times, I was towing 4 wheels down. Not trying to say that it is best for everybody by no means, but there are different issues for different circumstances. On the golf cart issue, I could place it in the back of the pickup truck, but I would need to add a driveshaft disconnect, and on and on. By the way if I used a manual tranny in most cases there would be no need for the dolly except that the BOSS;), DW refuses to drive a straight shift!!!! Darned if you do, darned if you don't.:rolleyes: Thanks for asking, Kay

Thanks Bill, I am aware of that, just forgot to mention, that's when a trailer works well. Even some of the 4 wheel drives can't be towed 4 down or on a dolly.

I agree, if you have multiple Front wheel drive cars, or are utilizing a golf cart and car, the Dolly is the best option. We started out with one, at the time it was the cheapest option and with the car we had it worked. At the time I found a Demco Kar Kaddy SS used (needed some TLC) and I think I spent $250.00 for it. Two tires, fenders and lights later we were on the road. It was equipped with Surge brakes, while they were a little jerky but they worked.

I would much rather tow four wheels down but we use a Acme tow dolly with surge breaks because we lease our cars and cannot modify for towing and it keeps mileage from racking up.

We used to lease one car, when the DW would rack up mileage (back then they were minivans), so I didn't have to deal with them being worn out in year 4, at year 2 1/2 I would walk in hand them the keys, walk out in the lot and pick out another, sign on the line and leave (I would bake in the extra mileage up front).

None of the toads we have had accumulate mileage while in tow, if that happens something is not shut down.

50 minutes ago, rickkey2 said:

I would much rather tow four wheels down but we use a Acme tow dolly with surge breaks because we lease our cars and cannot modify for towing and it keeps mileage from racking up.

Just so you know there is no mileage accumulation when towing. 

Bill

On some occasions, I reserve a rental car at my destination, don't worry about towing at all. When not site seeing along the way to the destination this worked well for us. If anyone is not already equipped for towing and only travel a couple times a year, it will be cheaper to do this. Again, not true for everybody, but certainly an option.

On 2/22/2017 at 8:50 AM, flyinglow said:

If your only option was to Dolly Tow, what preference would you use,  Electric or Hydraulic braking systems,   and would anybody have preferences as to make and models of dollies ?  

You have gotten a wide variety of responses but if you are going to use a dolly here is something to help you when geting the car ready to tow. 

When you load the car on the dolly stop with about 2 in between the tire and front stop.  Place the hold down straps over the tires. Now place the car in neutral. Now tighten the hold down straps. The reason for doing it this way is the straps will not slide on the tire. This allows the tire to rotate forward and take the slack out of the back side of the strap. After the straps are tight you can put the car in park and set it up for towing.

Make shure you set the car up based on the dolly manufacturer's instructions. Some need the steering locked and some like the Acme need the steering to turn. Not doing this part right will cause damage to your car.

Bill

36 minutes ago, kaypsmith said:

On some occasions, I reserve a rental car at my destination, don't worry about towing at all. When not site seeing along the way to the destination this worked well for us. If anyone is not already equipped for towing and only travel a couple times a year, it will be cheaper to do this. Again, not true for everybody, but certainly an option.

Just to pick on Kay a little today.:D This is the high risk way. The idea of renting instead of towing comes up often on the different forums. I have heard of at least a couple people who had reservations at places yet when they got there the rental company didn't have a car for them. I did a little survey along those lines a couple of years ago when I was using a dolly. I was amazed at how many places this wouldn't work. Especially around major parks and attractions. 

My personal travel style is I want my car right here right now so any time I can go to the store go sightseeing go out to eat or just because. :D

Bill

Bill, you have a point about possibilities, but, I will only rent from a REPUTABLE company. Just think how that would work out if a CEO flew into an airport and the car rental didn't have a car available after he a reserved one.:o I tell my DW often, if you didn't pick on me every once in a while, I would not think that you still love me.<_<

7 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Bill, you have a point about possibilities, but, I will only rent from a REPUTABLE company. Just think how that would work out if a CEO flew into an airport and the car rental didn't have a car available after he a reserved one.:o I tell my DW often, if you didn't pick on me every once in awhile, I would not think that you still love me.<_<

We still love you :P. Yes these were disreputable companies like Avis and Enterprise. I don't know where my notes went. I quit caring after I bought my current toad.:D

Bill

I have rented cars before and well understand Kay's reasoning...The biggest downside to me, would be out in the middle of nowhere (yes Bill, we still have room to roam), and have a flat or breakdown and no bars on my phone!  I have an option when I tow! :P

Dolly?  To long to set up and tear down, also uneven wear on tires! :o

My wife and have a system to load and unload car on dolly, takes 5 minutes to load, and 3 to unload. And remember that I did not say any method was best for everybody. Remember, "Different strokes for different Folks", that was a sitcom, but it still applies here.:D

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

My wife and have a system to load and unload car on dolly, takes 5 minutes to load, and 3 to unload. And remember that I did not say any method was best for everybody. Remember, "Different strokes for different Folks", that was a sitcom, but it still applies here.:D

I agree I would go back to a dolly if I had to. I can't see me fighting a trailer. But I will never be on the road without a toad.

Bill