flyinglow

Dolly Towing

Kay.  Yes, the sitcom still holds true, especially for me and my lady friend. :) We both tow 4 down, both have Roadmaster, hers is 10,000 pounds and Air Force One breaks, she tow's a 2014 Expedition.  Mine you know about.  She thought about a Dolly, but being alone, felt it would take to long !  We are not Spring chickens and don't bend much anymore! :ph34r:

Carl

JimOC towed on a Demco tow Dolly with surge brakes. Nice thing about Demco is the steering axle which keeps the toad from cheating on tight turns. We now tow a 2014 Ford SUV all wheel drive which can not be towed with front axle on a dolly.  The only difference to me is the storage issue,

Storage is not an issue if you have a pull through. But when you have to try and push the dolly up a slight grade on wet grass then it becomes a problem.:D

Bill 

Since I'm carrying the golf cart most of the time, I use it to place the dolly. 2 inch ball on the back also comes in handy around the house for moving those bags of leaves. The golf cart is a miniature one, weighs only308# and is about half the size of a regular one but can carry up to 4 people unless they are the size that I used to be.:P P.S. works well on grass also, but not well in mud.

I prefer electric brakes, but they do cost more and are more difficult to up fit the coach with a brake controller. I believe you will find most dollies with brakes are hydraulic.

I prefer hydraulic surge brakes because of the ease of hooking up to them, no electric controller needed and legal in all states. 

We're I "designing" one to be used behind a coach with air brakes, I would build it air over hydraulics, but then again that is only a dream.

5 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

I prefer hydraulic surge brakes because of the ease of hooking up to them, no electric controller needed and legal in all states.  Were I "designing" one to be used behind a coach with air brakes, I would build it air over hydraulics, but then again that is only a dream.

I have a Demco tow dolly with surge brakes.  I installed a air over hydraulic master cylinder.  It worked too good lock up the brakes on light brake pedal so I put an inline pressure regulator to reduce the pressure.  I will have it at Chandler if you want to see it.