Sign in to follow this  
johntelling

Using a Dish TV VIP 211z Receiver With Coax

I am planning to switch from DirecTv to Dish, which requires that I purchase a receiver. The recommended one is the VIP 211z. However, it does not have a coax out to TV, and my coach is wired with coax.

I have heard that the VIP 211Z output can be converted to coax, but I am not sure what this requires, or how well it will work.

Any TV experts out there who can help me?

Thanks,

JT

Here is a converter box http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/172364991994, very simple, just plug AVI cables to the box, and coax out of box to TV. Unless your tv is pretty old (crt style), it probably will have AVI located on the tv, most LCD/PLASMA/LED's  usually have both hookups. And there is a device that can be added to the receiver that as DD69 said sends to all TV's within range, simply tune the tv to the correct channel required by the transmitter, last one that I bought, was $99.00 at Radio Shack.

The issue is not the TV's themselves, but the switch box (which allows you to select the input source for each TV) and the cabling from it to the TV's. It is coax in and out.

JT

John,

I have Dish at both home and in the coach. I had the Hopper installed in both. I didn't have to purchase any receivers at all. I have a Hopper (aka the receiver) in each. All other TVs have a Joey attached to the TV. In the coach I did have to have a HDMI cable from the Hopper to the TV but that ran in the cabinet about 2 feet. The Hopper is on the Coax from the Satellite. The Joey on the back TV also has a HDMI cable and in the cabinet behind the TV.

I did do some changing to our system like taking out the selector box and wiring it like a house. I have a DVR wired into the back of the TV and ran the cable and roof coax's into a "Y" into the TV also. All I have to do to switch is go into the TV's menu and select the input.    

This works for us.

Herman

If you can get a 211K instead of the Z, it has a coax output.  For the best picture you could try to locate the receiver near your main TV and run a new HDMI cable to that TV for full HD.  You could then use the coax output (or the adapter above with the 211z) to run a standard def. pic to the 2nd TV using the current cabling.

If you use a Dish Hopper, you can support two tvs from it.  The 1st tv would need HDMI cable to get HD, but the second tv would use a Joey.  The Joey communicates with the Hopper via coax.  This would get service to the second tv, which to get HD there, would only require HDMI from the Joey to the TV.