Sign in to follow this  
Sf49erfan

Replacing Tire

I have a 2006 Monaco with tag axle. When I lowered the jacks to take the coach to be cleaned, one of the middle tires was low.  The tires are arranged two in front, 4 in the middle and then two on the rear.  The tire that is low is the driver side, outside middle tire. If I need to replace the tire, do I need to replace in sets of two or can I just replace that one tire?

Tracey

If you need to replace a tire on an axle with dual wheels then you need to replace both.  You could take the 2 drive tires and move them to that position and install new drive tires as well.  You just want both tires to have the same tread depth so putting 1 new tire on a set of dual will give you 2 tires with 2 different diameters and is not recommended.

Tracy,

Another definition.

DOT Number is the Department of Transportation date of manufacture. Example 14/16 means that the tire was made in the 14 week of 2016. We all go by those number plus visually looking at the side walls and between the treads for signs of cracking. Some people call it crazing but either was too much or too deep of cracking is not a good sign. If you are in doubt, have a trusted dealer look at your tires. The age that most all of us go by is 7 years. I for one start really looking my tires over is in the 5 to 7 years.

To answer your question about changing just one tire on a set of duels amount to the same as having on a pair of shoes with one heel worn down more than the other. On has to take more of the load than the other. Does that makes sense? It is not as big a deal when you are talking about a steer or tag tire. They turn independently from each other.

Hopes this helps.

Herman 

More information on reading the DOT number/date code.

The full DOT number is molded into only ONE sidewall of each tire.  Could be facing outward, or could be facing inward.

The date code is generally in a raised/indented  area, since that part of the tire mold is changed weekly.

The date code is the last 4 digits. so in Herman's example the last 4 would read 1416.  That would mean the tire was manufactured the 14th week of 2016.

There is no magic time when a tire goes from good to dangerous. 

Many factors affect tire life. Here are some:

Never run under-inflated/overloaded. PSI based on actual wheel position weights, with all tires on an axle inflated to the same PSI based on heavier wheel position. A TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitor System) makes monitoring this a lot easier.)

Not exposed to UV light (i.e. stored under cover or indoors of with tire covers on them)

No petroleum-based tire dressing used.

Driven frequently better than being parked for months/years at a time

If your tire has not had the best "care and feeding" or you do not know how it was treated before you bought the coach, err on the side of safety.

I have a number of posts on my blog that focus on replacing tires in a "Dual" drive position.

I suggest you review all 4 posts to learn what you need to know.

Can you "Limp" home on a failed dual?

How to replace a tire in "Dual" application

How to match dual tires when replacing one new tire.   < has short video

Match Duals... Does anyone really do this?

You might want to learn more about tires by reading other posts on the blog or attending my tire seminars at FMCA Convention in Indianapolis