philair@cfl.rr.com

Onan HGJAB 5500 shuts doen

While travelling this past summer, the outside air temps were very hot, between 100 & 105 regularly. As the dash AC is woefully indadequate to deal with these temps, we would run the generator to use the coach AC. When we did so, after varying periods of time, the generator would just shut down as if it were turned off. Try to restart & it just cranked as if no fuel. There was no way to suddenly stop to go try to sort out fault codes, but when I was able to, I couldn't get any.

As I said, attempts to restart were fruitless, as if it wasn't getting fuel. If I waited for an hour or so, it would start, run fine, and if still on the road, would again shut down at some point.

At the end of the day, I would run it to try to duplicate the problem, which, of course, I couldn't do...it ran flawlessly. I checked & replaced the fuel filter, air filter was perfect.

Once the weather cooled off, the problem did not reappear. I had two different Onan shops check & neither could find anything wrong.

My research leads me to suspect the MAT (manifold air temp) sensor, but they are not cheap & I'm not sure how difficult to get at it. I'd rather not wait until the hot weather returns to have it happen again.

Anyone have any suggestions?