hardy1135

Tire Cupping On Towed Car Rear Tires

The rear tires on our 2011 Honda CRV all wheel drive have had cupping problems, resulting in rough handling and lots of road noise. Have replaced tires twice. Never had this problem on our 2002 CRV. Any ideas?

2006 Itasca Meridian 36g

2011 Honda CRV toad

Cupping is usually caused by imbalanced tires, or bad shocks or something loose on the suspension. There are other considerations, but these would be my first to have checked if cupping is the proper term for what is happening to your tires. If you are towing four down, make sure that the tow bar is parallel with a flat roadway that you are sitting on. Simply measure down from the front of the tow bar and also at the rear of the tow bar. If not pretty close to the same measurement, make the proper adjustment at the coach hitch to correct this problem.

I agree on the balancing. When you have tires needing balancing there is a good way to determine front or rear. If you feel the vibration in the steering wheel you have a front tire or tires out of balance, if you feel it in your but or feet it is in the rear.

Hardy, have you felt any vibration when you drive your CRV? Does it bounce too much when you hit a bump? Balancing would be the most economical place to start. Ask the tech that balances your tires to spin them first before removing any weights. I have found severely out of balance when I had this done.

But I will also stand by the alignment. By having it aligned you may find some worn parts.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Herman    

Yes 4 wheel alignment is certainly in order, because a competent shop will be looking for worn parts, and with todays independent suspension there is a lot more parts to wear. Here is a very informative web site to look at with some good information. http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25re  If the tires already have signs of cupping again, be sure the alignment shop has this condition pointed out to them. Just a little foot note on tow bars, if the end next to the toad is higher than the coach end, the pull downward puts undue weight on the front tires while pulling the load, while lightening the load on the rear tires, which can cause problems with the rear tires. About 30%, 3 out of 10 that I see rolling down the highways are improperly aligned.