hardy1135

Protectant On RV Tires?

Check the chemical compound on any rubber conditioner. If it has solvents in them, don't use them on tires. It will dry them out prematurely.

I've had good luck with Meguiar's tire products for all of my vehicles including my motorhome.  Meguiar's products are moderately priced at your favorite Walmart or O'Reily's Parts store.   Meguiar's has the tire conditioners and anti-ozonants comparable to other tire conditioner products.   I like the simplicity of spray foam application versus messier sponge/brush application of liquid conditioners.

I tried the 303 on my coach tires, I will admit I will not do that again. My tires now have a brown sludge residue on them that wont wash off. You can scrape it off with your finger nail and If they do crack you wont be able to see it through the sludge. Its so bad when you take the wheels off even after washing and cleaning, your hands turn brown and slimy :angry:.

I will look into the Meguiar's product for the new tires I have on order.

4 hours ago, jleamont said:

I tried the 303 on my coach tires, I will admit I will not do that again. My tires now have a brown sludge residue on them that wont wash off. You can scrape it off with your finger nail and If they do crack you wont be able to see it through the sludge. Its so bad when you take the wheels off even after washing and cleaning, your hands turn brown and slimy :angry:.

I will look into the Meguiar's product for the new tires I have on order.

Wow...I've been using it for a couple years and never had anything like that happen. Were the tires clean before applying?

2 hours ago, rpelatt said:

Wow...I've been using it for a couple years and never had anything like that happen. Were the tires clean before applying?

YUP.

I prefer foaming sprays if you are going to use anything. I would not use any brush or pad on tire I would not use on paint that is on my RV.

IMO if the "tire shine" washes off in heavy rain then I believe it is not doing harm to the tire or removing the tire company protestants..

On 3/1/2017 at 0:53 PM, jleamont said:

YUP.

Yepper's X's 2:)!

However, I only apply 303 to a clean tire. I  make it a point to clean the tire and apply 303 at least every two months. And while traveling, I do not cover the tires with a tire cover. When parked at the vacation home, only the passenger front tire has any direct sun hitting it - that tire I cover.

The fuse times I've run out of 303, I do also use Zaino's tire product. If it matters to you, it does not to me, the Zaino's does leave a darker and shinier shine. I'm more interested in UV protection, then appearance enhancement:)!

The Maquair's spray on product is easier to apply, but does leave a glossy look to the tire. And in a thread on another board, one member reported that the UV protective values were not as high as 303's. (As I recall, no documentation to back that up, but I'll repeat what was reported by this poster:)! And, no reason to not believe him, as he was a long time member of the board.)

Best to all, be safe, keep the protected rubber side down,

Smitty

Colony Tire, where we bought all our new Michelin's thru the FMCA program told us don't use anything on your tires except a good car wash. That's it. There is no safe protectant or shine product, that will not age your tires.  One of the techs went so far to say, the shinier they are the quicker they die (dry  out) Just clean them with soap and water. Also they said to cover them with a UV screen, not the wrap around type unless it is made from a breathable material. They prefer the snap on screens that cover the wheel well.  They protect your tires from UV light even on a cloudy day. Mine were custom made by Kool RV Sunshades. Considering what 22.5 tires cost, I took them at their word and followed their advice to the letter. 

Colony Tire

My Tire dealer said the same thing when I bought my Michelins too just mild soap and water.  Michelin has a video and I believe they say in it that chemicals migrate from inside the tire to the outside to naturally protect it

I use 303 on my car tires and Harley tires, but seldom if ever on the RV tires.  I figure it won't really matter on the tires that wear out due to use instead of time.  Just like I don't worry about covering any of my tires except the coach.  Finally found the right covers also.  Custom fit covers that are made out of the same screen material that I hang from my side awning.  It shades my tires but lets them get air.

9 hours ago, ISPJS said:

I use 303 on my car tires and Harley tires, but seldom if ever on the RV tires.  I figure it won't really matter on the tires that wear out due to use instead of time.  Just like I don't worry about covering any of my tires except the coach.  Finally found the right covers also.  Custom fit covers that are made out of the same screen material that I hang from my side awning.  It shades my tires but lets them get air.

Good plan. I have written a few times on my RVTireSafety.net blog on the advantages of tire covers and the importance of keeping tires cool.

I use white vinyl type on my Class-C.  I have also run a test on the "screen" type and IMO the screen type does not have to be white to keep the tires cool as air can circulate between the screen and the tires.

I know of no spray on "protectant" that keeps a tire cool as a white cover or screen can.

I also do not recall ever seeing any of the mfg of the various sprays providing data on independent test results.