I had seen the previously published Technical Service Bulletin 018 last revise in 2015 that the 2 wheel drive manual transmission Kia's could be flat towed.  I was about to buy a 2016 and called the company customer service line for Kia to see if this had been updated.  Kia reports that beyond model year 2015 their cars can not be flat towed - they are sticking to only the emergency towing listed in the owner manual.

Some of the Kia's have gone to electronic steering. Nearly all of the newer vehicles that have electronic steering have been a problem when towed flat, ie. the death wobble seems to develop with them. This may be the reason Kia decided not to recomend flat towing except in emergency. I owned a 2014 Kia Soul that had electronic steering, that is a great improvement in steering over plain power steering. It was an automatic which required dolly towing anyway. I'm not saying that is what Kia is saying about their flat tow ability, it is only a suspicion of mine.

We flat tow our 2015 Kia Soul stick, tows great, Blue ox plate & tow bar, plug in wire kit, turn the key to off and leave it in steering stays unlocked. Feel free to PM with any ??

IMG_20160323_190908.jpg

FMCA was contacted this week by an FMCA member who spoke to Kia customer service and was told that the company would no longer recommend flat towing its 2016 and 2017 vehicles. FMCA has contacted Kia and asked whether the company has changed its stance on four-wheels-down towing, and we are awaiting a response. We will report that information here as soon as we receive it.

Each year, as we gather information for Family Motor Coaching magazine's towing guide, we contact Kia corporate and request information about towability of its vehicles. In each of the past two years, a Kia spokesman has confirmed that certain 2016 and 2017 model-year Kias are flat towable, and that information was published in January's towing guide. The most recent confirmation that certain 2017 model-year Kia vehicles can be flat towed came in November 2016. 

In addition, while compiling the towing guide each of the past two years, we have asked Kia whether Technical Service Bulletin 018 has been updated. TSB 018 spells out requirements for flat towing Kia vehicles. It was last revised in 2015. No updates have been released since then.      

Thanks Corona4me - I have revised my search to try to find a 2015 Soul manual to make sure I am covered by Kia.  And thanks to John at FMCA for jumping right on this question to see why the information from Kia is different now.  I have a GMC Terrain which I could tow but since it would be towed with a B+ I am thinking hauling something that is about 1000 pounds lighter would be a good idea.  I do need to keep something large enough that I could move the dogs and cats and me to the car to get around if the RV is not available for use.

4 hours ago, catsaplenty said:

Thanks Corona4me - I have revised my search to try to find a 2015 Soul manual to make sure I am covered by Kia.  And thanks to John at FMCA for jumping right on this question to see why the information from Kia is different now.  I have a GMC Terrain which I could tow but since it would be towed with a B+ I am thinking hauling something that is about 1000 pounds lighter would be a good idea.  I do need to keep something large enough that I could move the dogs and cats and me to the car to get around if the RV is not available for use.

Soul is 2700# and the back folds down for the pups :D