RANDYLACY

Planning Trip: TN to Yellowstone

Question

5 answers to this question

I would suggest you head to St. Louis and then KC, KS, N on 29 to Sioux Falls and then 90W through the Black Hills so plan at least a couple of stops.  90 all the way to Livingston and then S on 89 into the park.  This is the least steep option unless you want to come in from the South through Jackson, WY which is also a good route but involves much more off the Interstate driving and added time but the roads are good and saves many miles.

That route would be to stay on 80W all the way to Rock Springs, WY and head N on 191.  There are actually a couple of options for roads going N. including 287 but Rock Springs keeps you on Interstate longer.

2 hours ago, RANDYLACY said:

Any suggestions trip planning to Yellowstone from Tennessee.

won't have a problem. like to avoid really steep routes.

Could plan for two to three weeks.

randy

Welcome to the frum. Please add your rig to your signature it will help you get better answers. I would go I-40 to Amarillo then 287 to Denver then I-25 north to I-90 west. to Gardner, then south on 89 to the park. This isn't the shortest but it is about as flat as you are going to get. If you can handle the hills on I-40 in Tennessee you shouldn't have a problem. 

Bill

In case you are not familiar with the hills of TN, they really are just hills.  You will need to gear down a bit to get up and down but Interstate highways are limited in their grade so you won't come up  on anything bigger than a 5-6% grade.  It's an easy drive.  If you have any concerns just fall in behind the 18 wheelers and let the 4 wheels have the other lane.

Good point !  I would go with BillA's advise on I-80 to Hwy. 191N in Rock Spring, WY.

Safe travels.

Carl

2 years ago I took 287 N all the way from where I picked it up in S. Texas to the GTNP South Gate at Moran WY. It was a wonderful drive. I have done the drive 4 times now from FL going different ways each time to my summer job in the National Park. The last time was driving my 39' Canyon Star (gas) which I now full time in. No problem with the mountain passes in or out of the area. I do have a Bnaks system. I have been  all over the area out there. About the only pass I wouldn't want to do with the motorhome and toad is the Bear Tooth Hwy--otherwise they are all doable. I do my best to stay off the interstates--you see the real America that way.