wryonki

Motor Oil Recommendation: 2005 Cummins

We purchased a 2005 40 foot Holiday Rambler Endeavor.  We are going to service the motor.  What motor oil should be used on a older model?  The engine has only 18500 miles on it.  Runs beautifully.  Cummins recommends Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40.  

Thanks!

FYI, I just visited with Chris Crowel, Cummins Motorhome & Emergency Vehicle Engine Market Leader about the new oil designations here at the Chandler Convention.

His/Cummins recommendation is: CK4 15-40. NOT FA4.

I am perplexed, why not just follow the manufacturers recommendation of  Valvoline Premium Blue 15/40?

15 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

FYI, I just visited with Chris Crowel, Cummins Motorhome & Emergency Vehicle Engine Market Leader about the new oil designations here at the Chandler Convention.

His/Cummins recommendation is: CK4 15-40. NOT FA4.

BTW, just got off the phone with the Service Manager for the large Caterpillar shop in Houston.

His recommendation is the same: CK4 15-40.

Brett,

From the conversation last evening I got away from the point.:wub:

Does the CK4 designation reference the Chemical Compensation of the Lubricant and not the Manufacturer? 

Herman

24 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

Brett,

From the conversation last evening I got away from the point.:wub:

Does the CK4 designation reference the Chemical Compensation of the Lubricant and not the Manufacturer? 

Herman

Yes, said another way It represents the spec the oil must meet. One thing I learned a few years back at an oil seminar; oil specs have a range that each manufacture must achieve to call their product CK4 compliant. Some just barely make it while others cross the minimum threshold and continue to accelerate to the top of the requirements. These are usually the tier 1 manufactures. That answers Ian's question of why branch away from the manufactures recommended oil. OEM fill is not usually a tier 1 product due to costs. So the thought is purchase the better product for engine longevity, better oil analysis reports and hope to gain fuel economy.

One thing not mentioned, the proper spec is more critical on engines requiring it, older engines can benefit but its not necessary as the oil technology has improved over the years.

My owner's manual reads "Cummins Inc. recommends the use of high-quality SAE 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil, such as Valvoline Premium Blue, which meets performance specifications......."  Note: "such as"

We are currently using Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 which has a CK-4 designation described in posts above.  The beauty of this oil is that it has a backwards compatibility rating for those of us with older engines where original specs called for CH-4 designation.  That's the case with our engine.

Why Delo 400?  Probably because Deb and I have a collective 60+ years working for Chevron.  Maybe an emotional tie there!

Blake

1 hour ago, blakeloke said:

My owner's manual reads "Cummins Inc. recommends the use of high-quality SAE 15W-40 heavy-duty engine oil, such as Valvoline Premium Blue, which meets performance specifications......."  Note: "such as"

We are currently using Delo 400 SDE SAE 15W-40 which has a CK-4 designation described in posts above.  The beauty of this oil is that it has a backwards compatibility rating for those of us with older engines where original specs called for CH-4 designation.  That's the case with our engine.

Why Delo 400?  Probably because Deb and I have a collective 60+ years working for Chevron.  Maybe an emotional tie there!

Blake

Well that would be a great reason to support Chevron! Its like paying yourself back, more oil you buy more $$ goes into your pension :lol:

6 hours ago, blakeloke said:

Blake

And where do you buy Delo 400 15W-40 oil?  In gallon jugs?  Average Price???

Joe...:lol:

RedandSilver.  Welcome!  It would work better, if we knew what make, model and year your coach is...like what is under my signature.

Carl

Ck-4 is the spec the oil must meet. Here is a good read about the new standards. It looks like they will be using at least a synthetic blend to meet specks.

http://rotella.shell.com/products/pc-11.html

OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® t6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil

API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4

ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Bill