predvers@gmail.com

RV rental usage

When not in use, my RV is stationed at a motorhome rental company. They rent it out and we split the income.

Most rentals involve a minimal free KM allowance, and a per KM charge for extra use. There is also an option for unlimited KM at $77. per day.

My motorhome is stationed near Toronto. Last November someone rented our unit for 14 days. In that 14 days the renters put on 14,000 KM. That's enough KM to drive from Toronto to Mexico City, and back, by way of Vancouver. When the unit was returned it did not seem to raise any eyebrows at the rental company. Nobody querried the renter. Nobody bothered to call me to tell me that one renter had used up a year's worth of milage in two weeks.

I, of course, was suspicious. Who drives 1,000 KM a day for 14 days straight? The rental manager says it's uncommon, but some people do like driving vacations. Sure, in a Class A with big windows, maybe, but 1,000 KM per day has to be highway driving with no sightseeing aspect at all. The generator was not used, so they sure were not dry camping.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome.

Paul

Time to read the small print in the contract between you and the motorhome rental company. Some people have a fear of flying and drive long distances in short periods of time.

In the United States I do not know of any place you can rent a truck or an RV for more than one day that offers an unlimited milage option.

For example: Cruise America RV Rentals applies an estimated mileage charge to all rentals. The charge will be a per night charge based on 100 miles for a local rental and 250 miles for a one-way rental. The rate is 32¢ per mile. At the end of the rental you will be refunded for any excess mileage charges, or be charged at the rate of 32¢ for additional miles in excess of the estimated mileage. Cruise America does reserve the right to modify the estimated mileage charge based on the type of rental. In Canada, the nightly charge will be 160 kilometers for a local rental and 400 kilometers for a one-way rental. The rate is 32¢ per km.

Road Bear Rv Rentals offers a "500-Mile Packages" for the motorhomes to be purchased and prepaid in any number at $190 each to suit the individual travel needs. No additional mileage packages will be sold at time of vehicle pick-up and additional miles driven are payable at a rate of $0.39 per mile plus local sales tax, due upon vehicle return.

I would have lots of questions. Did they check the oil during this epic vacation? I would think your unit is now due for routine service at the very least. I would be curious how many times the rig was logged through customs.

Certainly you post reinforces the views of those who feel that motorhome rental is not for the weak at heart.

I truly hope that final inspection shows that it was just a "cruising" vacation and all works out well.

Merry Christmas.

Yeah, I'd be suspicious. I've rented airplanes for years. Most are lease back to the FBO that rents the airplanes. Several years ago we had a sweet Cherokee Six that we flew all over the country. Toward the end of the rental period we began to notice that there were some problems with the plane. One time I went to check it out and the passenger seat back wouldn't stay upright. It wasn't long after that one of the renters was arrested for being involved in running drugs. We worried about our luggage being flagged as it went through the commercial airlines security checks but we never had a problem. Anyway, if there is a way to abuse a rental, some people will take it to the maximum. In 8+ years of full timing, I can count on one hand the number of times I have driven 1000 km (AKA 620 miles). Clearly somebody was hauling the "mail." If you've never been anywhere before you can do sightseeing from the windshield of a motor home on the interstate highway but then if you've never been anywhere before you'd likely not take off to everywhere in one huge drive-like-crazy trip.

I'd press the company that rents your motor home for more information. I'm betting that they have a name and you should pursue this issue. Talk to the RCMP, I'll bet they would be interested! If you can't get the name, they might be able to.

Yeah, I'd be suspicious. I've rented airplanes for years. Most are lease back to the FBO that rents the airplanes. Several years ago we had a sweet Cherokee Six that we flew all over the country. Toward the end of the rental period we began to notice that there were some problems with the plane. One time I went to check it out and the passenger seat back wouldn't stay upright. It wasn't long after that one of the renters was arrested for being involved in running drugs. We worried about our luggage being flagged as it went through the commercial airlines security checks but we never had a problem. Anyway, if there is a way to abuse a rental, some people will take it to the maximum. In 8+ years of full timing, I can count on one hand the number of times I have driven 1000 km (AKA 620 miles). Clearly somebody was hauling the "mail." If you've never been anywhere before you can do sightseeing from the windshield of a motor home on the interstate highway but then if you've never been anywhere before you'd likely not take off to everywhere in one huge drive-like-crazy trip.

I'd press the company that rents your motor home for more information. I'm betting that they have a name and you should pursue this issue. Talk to the RCMP, I'll bet they would be interested! If you can't get the name, they might be able to.

How often do you check on rental company thats renting your motorhome? Sounds like its 3 or 4 rentals and only told you it was one rental.

i have 3 motorhomes that I rent out and am in your area. Feel free to contact me by private message.