hayesfamily

Registration Fees In Maryland

When we purchased our Bounder in October we assumed that people who works for various state agencies would understand the various laws and see structures when it came to recreational vehicles specifically non trailer motorhomes.

Our journey began when I tried to transfer the title over to Maryland from New York. The title in New York had a shipping weight of 16640 pounds period Maryland interpreted that as greater than 3700 pounds and less than ten thousand pounds. I tried to get the vehicle inspected after paying the appropriate fees and the inspection station refuse to inspect it because the vehicle was in the wrong class. So I tried to take the motorhome to a place that inspected cars which I was politely told they don't even have a lift that can get it off the ground much less get in their garage so back to the DMV I go. 

After spending 12 hours and the motor vehicle administration talking to six supervisors I came to the conclusion that absolutely nobody in the entire State knew what they were talking about. After figuring out that the gross vehicle weight should be close to 21,000 Pounds  and finally finding someone that would inspect it because of the weight I ended up being in  the EPO class for large trucks. So apparently Pop pop has been driving a motorhome that apparently has been under the wrong class for the last 12 years and it has never been caught or challenged.

Needless to say now my title reflects my gross vehicle weight at 21,000 lbs and I was able to get the appropriate inspection done and returned to the motor vehicle administration.

I knew there was going to be a little bit more money when it came to registration but what I was not aware was how much. Maryland for a multi-purpose vehicle greater than 3700 pounds is $187 for two years. Once you go over 10001 gross you pay $11.75 per thousand pounds plus the $17 fee period but I was unaware of is that yearly not biannual so I pay in excess of $265 a YEAR for registration.

Am I the only person paying over $500 every two years?  If I am can somebody please tell me what in the world I am doing wrong and how do I correct it

I pay over $500/year here in TX.  Sounds like you have a pretty good deal!  Virginia adds personal property tax that costs thousands of dollars per year for an RV.

Move to Florida for the lowest that I know of. Alabama is where I reside, and if your rig is over ten years old, you would qualify for minimum value, $1000.00. Then you will be OK, tag for class 3 here, about 110.00. But if newer, hold your wallet, I was in the tag office when a gentleman came in with a top of the line Itasca, tag was $3775.00 for one year. We pay ad valorem tax here yearly based on the black book value, another reason that I will not buy a new coach while living here. I agree with Bill, sounds like you have a pretty good deal. 

In PA it was $89 but it just went up to a little over a $100 but you do need an annual safety inspection, which is not a bad thing. 

Texas, I pay a total of $780 per yr. that includes the $7 annual inspection fee for a diesel, rest is weight over 26,000 pounds...my Jeep is $83 + $25 for inspection.  Stay where your at or move to Montana or Oregon!

Carl

Motorhome fees in Oregon are the plates and off the top of my head, I don't really remember that cost ... I want to say about 200/year, but don't quote me ... no other fees associated, including no sales tax if resident.  However, our other taxes are not favorable.  I'd move, but it's a PITA ... lol

So after doing a little bit of research I found out that a lot of new motorhomes that are not necessarily inspected the way used Motor Vehicles are inspected have been classified wrong. When they get purchased used typically the registration and title gets corrected but that is an MVA or Motor Vehicle Administration issue.

After taking the time to talk to another FMCA member that is a part of the capital chapter here in Maryland I was informed that indeed my vehicle is registered properly even though I'm paying a lot more money than people who have the same or similar motorhomes with the same gross vehicle weight.

It turns out because I'm over 10,000 gross my registration per year is calculated at $11.75 for every thousand pounds and I have to pay a surcharge of $17 to the state of Maryland period at $263 a year that's not bad compared to what I've been seen from other states. If I live in the state of Virginia it would probably be two and a half to three times more so this is where I stop talking and I'm thankful the good Lord sees fit so let me enjoy this time with my family and chalk my registration fees up to the cost of doing business in the state of Maryland.

After my last post I ended up doing some more research. The more research I did the more I realize that the state of Maryland has a severe flaw in its system when it comes to registering motorhomes.

After lengthy arguing with the motor vehicle administration it has been determined that any motorhome that weighs over 3,700 lb is considered multi-purpose and it does not have a cap per se on the weight of the coach.

So I say the system is flawed because how do you have enforcement for those whose coach comes in and greater than 26,000 gross because the driver's license class only has to match the weight dictated on the title and registration so as long as it says multi purpose greater than 3700 lb I can drive a 35,000 lb coach with air brakes on a Class C license which everybody knows is a big No-No.

Needless to say I got my registration feed down to $93.50 a year versus $263 per year. I would throw a political sidebar however I do not wish to get thrown out of the forum.