astmi

Service By A Towing Company

Recently a friend of mine had a  mechanical problem while traveling in San Diego (California). His class A MH  had to be towed.

The MH was towed by Angelo's towing. The towing neglected to disconnect the driving shaft thus causing damage that amounted to over $7,000.

It has been impossible for him to talk to the owner of the towing co. The company never replied to  letters sent by my friend nor to many phone calls and neglected to follow up on many requests although a guy he thoughts to be a supervisor admitted that the towing procedure was not OK.

Would anyone know this company and could help us. My friend since traveled to Florida.

Thanks for any assistance. 

astmi.  Now we and anyone else who reads this post, will know not to use Angelo's Towing in San Diego, CA.  Other than that and passing word of mouth or Internet, I can't see how FMCA or the Forum can help your friend.  Come to think about it, why is your friend not on the Forum?  He could have done this himself or herself.

Carl

Was this done as part of a paid road service that he subscribed to?  If the Co. will not respond I am sure his lawyer can get a response.

Several questions. Where was the coach when it broke down? In an RV park or on a San Diego Freeway? If on a freeway did the police tell the driver to get the MH off the road ASAP? Was this company sent by their Road Service provider or did they call the company on their own? When communicating with the towing company did they questioned the company about their ability and knowledge to tow a diesel pusher motor home with an Allison transmission.

I am not siding with the driver or the company just asking question by not knowing all of the entire situation.

Herman

Second hand info is always vague and mostly out of context !   Not implying that it's not true, but we are missing the where, what and when! :( 

This brings up a few questions.

IF you are on the side of the road and broke down and need a tow - Should you demand a flat bed trailer be used vs. just lifting the front wheels and

pulling it to where ever they take it?  Or is that not something you can demand?  Seems it should be cheaper than $7K in damage to a transmission.

IF the coach won't move under it's own power is it OK to winch it up onto a flat bed and do no damage to the transmission for such a short distance?

Does anyone know what it takes to unbolt a transmission from the engine and how is the transmission held up while being towed?

I had to be towed a little over 40 miles to Cummins dealer.  The tow truck driver, as did I, knew to disconnect the drive shaft. On a diesel pusher that drive shaft is less than 4 feet long, well on my 40' er it is.  When we arrived at the Cummins facility he re-installed it. Removing and installing took less than 5 minutes.  Just some bolts that need to be removed.

The "LESSON" here is that anyone with an Allison transmission should be aware that the drive shaft has to be removed before towing with the drive wheels on the ground. It's in my manual is how I knew.

Flat bed would ok, but most of the time the driver of the tow truck will ask about unbolting the drive shaft, or in some cases, just remove the axels from the drive axel. The hubs are on bearings so they will coast just fine. I was typing while Wayne was, that is why the redundancy.

I had to have my coach towed to have the radiator repaired. A very nice young man came with as big a wrecker as I have ever seem. He lifted the coach by connecting to the solid front axle. Connected an air line for the brakes. He then asked if I could start the engine, which I was still able to do. We raised the coach to the max. He crawled under the coach (he grabbed the right wrench right off the bat) and removed the drive shaft. one thing that amazed me was that he had a remote control that he was able to move the coach back so that the drive shaft would rotate enough to remove the last 2 of 4 bolts. He dropped one of the caps and said that he would have the shop put in a new "U" joint at no charge.He even went so far as to tie up the mud flap so it would not drag. All in all it was a great service from a young, but very knowledgeable, man. Made me proud of our newer generation. (plus his father owned the company and he said if he didn't do it right each time, there would **** to pay)

Herman

PS: I will post the name of the company when I return home. The Bz. Card is there.

I keep a number of my lists in my MH "go book"...good CGs, good places for service, good things to see, etc.  Angelos is now on one of the lists, not the one they want to be on.

On 3/9/2017 at 9:07 PM, astmi said:

Recently a friend of mine had a  mechanical problem while traveling in San Diego (California). His class A MH  had to be towed.

The MH was towed by Angelo's towing. The towing neglected to disconnect the driving shaft thus causing damage that amounted to over $7,000.

It has been impossible for him to talk to the owner of the towing co. The company never replied to  letters sent by my friend nor to many phone calls and neglected to follow up on many requests although a guy he thoughts to be a supervisor admitted that the towing procedure was not OK.

Would anyone know this company and could help us. My friend since traveled to Florida.

Thanks for any assistance. 

Same thing happened to us in Houston from a Good Sam tow. Unhooked driveshaft. I told them to pull it but didn't and took tranny out. Recommend  that you make sure tow company  properly tow and remove shaft or axles  

Dave in Ohio