RonaldNC

Monaco Bedroom Slide Trim Removal

My bedroom cable slide is acting up and I need to remove the wooden trim to access the mechanism.

I can't seem to find any easy way to release the trim pieces... do I have to pull the nails loose to take them off?

I really don't want to destroy the trim... but can't seem to find another way.

Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Our Dynasty has some access to the slide mechanism under the bed. You have to lift the bed and then remove the panel on the box. It is secured by several screws. However I have never done anything other than looked.

Herman

1 hour ago, hermanmullins said:

Ron,

Our Dynasty has some access to the slide mechanism under the bed. You have to lift the bed and then remove the panel on the box. It is secured by several screws. However I have never done anything other than looked.

Herman

Herman,

Thanks.  This slide is on the opposite side from the bed.  It is a cable slide (Accuslide).  I've got the service manual, but it doesn't tell me how to remove the wooden trim that Monaco puts on.

Thanks!

Ron

6 hours ago, blakeloke said:

Ron,

Are you able to take a picture and post?  Are there drawers or cabinets where the slide is?

Blake

Blake,

I've attached an old photo of the slide.  I'm not sure if it helps much... if there is something particular that you would need, let me know.

Thanks,

Ron

new-2009-monaco-cayman_38pkq--6169-4834026-15-400.jpg

Ron, remove the drawers and see if you have false bottoms. You may have a to start a screw into the bottom to have something to lift by. 

Hopefully you can access there.

Herman 

The motor and cables are over the top of the slideout cabinets, inside the trim around the opening in the coach, not underneath the drawers. Unfortunately the picture does not show the top trim over the slideout. I have the same slide and my trim has a fabric insert which is held on with velcro, remove that and you see the motor, and the chain drive the cables are connected to.  This is only a guess but I suspect you may have to remove the medallions on each end of the top trim to gain access. A better picture with the ceiling line showing,  could help to verify that.  

Ron,

I was headed in the same direction that Herman stated.  My slide mechanisms are electric gear driven.  Sounds like Gramps had better info for your application since he has same set-up as you.

Our slide mechanism is a bit more handy to get to.  I went out and looked under the drawers and was really surprised at what I found.  Hint: It wasn't OEM and our laundry hamper is in that same cabinet.

Blake

IMG_1225.JPG

2 hours ago, -Gramps- said:

The motor and cables are over the top of the slideout cabinets, inside the trim around the opening in the coach, not underneath the drawers. Unfortunately the picture does not show the top trim over the slideout. I have the same slide and my trim has a fabric insert which is held on with velcro, remove that and you see the motor, and the chain drive the cables are connected to.  This is only a guess but I suspect you may have to remove the medallions on each end of the top trim to gain access. A better picture with the ceiling line showing,  could help to verify that.  

Gramps,

I think you've got it, except all my trim is wood.  The picture doesn't show the top trim, which looks just like the slide trim.  I've tugged on it a bit and it looks like it's all put together with some brads/nails... which is too bad.  I pulled the slide in part way and have verified that the inside, lower right cable has broken away from the stand-outs.

I'll have to continue to "help" the right side retract until I get this fixed.  It appears that they make a cable replacement kit to repair the problem.  I'm not going to remove the trim until I have the kit... only want to do it once.  When I replace it, I'm going to try reassembling the wood using velcro to make the next repair easier.

I'll post the results once I get it done.

Thanks to all who replied!

Ron

If you intend to make the cable repair yourself  you will need a pair of  bolt cutters and a swagging/crimping tool. I carry both with me all the time and six repair kits. I have not had to use one to make a repair for a couple of years now. When you get ready to make the repair, I can be available if you need me, I have done it a bunch of times until I had the standoffs adjusted correctly, then the cable fraying stopped. 

14 inch bolt cutters 

swagging/ferrule crimping tool

AccuSlide website with how to videos.

On 3/12/2017 at 5:57 PM, -Gramps- said:

If you intend to make the cable repair yourself  you will need a pair of  bolt cutters and a swagging/crimping tool. I carry both with me all the time and six repair kits. I have not had to use one to make a repair for a couple of years now. When you get ready to make the repair, I can be available if you need me, I have done it a bunch of times until I had the standoffs adjusted correctly, then the cable fraying stopped. 

14 inch bolt cutters 

swagging/ferrule crimping tool

AccuSlide website with how to videos.

Gramps,

Thanks for the offer!  I will probably check in here as I start the effort.  I ordered the repair kits and they are scheduled to arrive on Thursday, so will work on it Friday or Saturday.  My main issue is finding the proper crimping tool.  I'm in West Texas right now and tried a couple of places, but no joy.  I'll be in Waco in a couple of days and there is a Home Depot there... will give them a try.  I've watched all the videos and download the documentation.  I think I'm ready (famous last words).

One question... the crimping tools I've seen online have a 1/8" and 3/16" notch, but the cable is 5/32".  Do you use the 1/8" notch?

I called Monaco today and they said that the trim is put on with pin nails.  They recommended removing them slowly and carefully so they can be reused.  I plan on reinstalling  with Velcro.  My guess is that this is not the last time I'll need access to the motor and cables.

I really appreciate the help!

Ron

Yes to the question about the crimping tool. I bought it at Lowes and the cable cutters as well. The crimp doesn't have to look good, just has to hold. If the cable you are replacing is a 

bottom one its not as hard to get over the pulley in the overhead as others. The kit comes with a Chinese finger trap (hey that's what I call it.) and I have found that sometimes I need a small gauge wire inserted in the trap and that wire taped to the cable to pull it thru. You will need to remove the overhead trim  and the side trim so you can remove the metal cover over the cable channel that runs up the side of the slide out opening. 

Good luck and you can call my cell if you need some assistance. I will PM you the number.

Derrick

Okay... got good news and bad news.  I bought all the tools, replacement cables, etc.  I removed the top layer of trim above the slide and could access the motor and cable.  However, I couldn't remove the bottom layer of trim that provides easier access to the cables.  There are three long screws that attach it to the ceiling... got two out, but not the third.  I'll have to wait until I get access to an "easy out" or a cutter wheel.  I also can not figure out how to remove the side trim on the slide itself (to provide access to the cable ends).  Very frustrating!!!

Now the good news.  To my surprise, I found that none of the cables are broken!!!  They were just so loose that they felt broken on the sides.  The cable adjusters were all nearly falling out.  I tightened the adjustors (which was difficult without all the trim off) and the slides work great now.  When I get better access, I'll put some lock tight on them.  I'm going to call around some more to find out how to remove the trim... I know I'll need to do it someday.

Thanks for the help!

Ron

The piece on the side you need to remove is about two inches wide and matches the wall not the wood. The slide out stops on it when in. It isn't really designed to be removed so what I did was after I pried it off the wall made my repair, I screwed it back on , instead of nailing it. I used screw covers, those plastic caps that you see all over a coach. I figured it wouldn't be the last time I had to remove this trim piece. 

I discovered too that the box that houses the motor and chain drive is a bit tight. I used a saws-all and cut it open so I could get my hands in there without having to remove the whole thing. Then I modified the fabric insert to fit the larger hole I made. By the way, my living room slide out is cable driven as well as one bedroom side. Notice the piece with the screw cover, that is one that has to be removed to get to the metal cover over the cable channel.

DSC03475.JPG

Gramps,

I didn't have any trouble removing the two inch strip... it was just attached with two-sided tape.  What gave me trouble was accessing the place where the cable attaches to the slide.  My is also covered with wood, but I couldn't remove it.  How do you access the cable end?

Ron

To get to the inside standoff end,  I remove the top corner decorative medallion (for lack of a better word),  and remove the ribbed insert. There are brackets behind then which hold the whole thing on to the metal frame. I unscrew those.  I don't know if you have a solid trim or some extra trim that i don't have. 

Hmmm... I removed the decorative medallions, but it didn't allow me access to the ribbed inserts.  I've got it all buttoned up now, so will have to wait for a later occasion.  Everything seems to be working good now.

Thanks for all your help!

Ron

Your picture makes it look like your vertical wood pieces/trim are solid, anyway glad to help out.