Sagorsch

Tar/Sewer Smell From Battery Compartment

Greetings,

I just read Wolfe10's post about how over charged batteries can have a sewer type smell. I think I experienced that.

My 2002 Winnebago Adventurer is equipped with  2- 12v batteries, a 30 amp/32v Paralax converter and an Onan 5500 gas generator. I also have an OEM 10 watt solar panel which is charging either house or chassis battery. The chassis battery is in the same compartment (stair well) as the house batteries.

Could any one:

1. Educate me on the safety concerns associated with over charging batteries.

2. Enlighten me as to how the batteries can be overcharged.

3. How I can avoid over charging batteries in the future.

4. What do I do if the smell occurs again.

Thank you in advance.

Sharon Gorsch, F464157

Hi Sharon,

Welcome the Forum.

Overcharging batteries could be as damaging to the batteries and under charging them. When overcharging the batteries they will produce a gas called hydrogen sulfide H2S.  The smell is often referred to as rotten eggs.  In higher concentration H2S is harmful and flammable.  I'm surprised your batteries are in your stairwell unless the stairwell is open to atmosphere.

My suspicion is you have one or more bad batteries.  Are the terminals corroded?  Are you able to get voltage readings with a meter (charger off/un hooked)?

Many of us use battery maintainers that keeps the right voltage to the batteries when the coach is not being used and sitting (storage).  I have one for our chassis batteries because my charger/inverter does not charge those.

Hope this helps some and soon there'll be more answers (and battery replacement options) for you from experts like Brett, Rich, Joe, Herman and Carl.

Blake

Sharon,

Yes, there is some danger when you smell that "sulfur" smell, which indicates overcharging, as Hydrogen gas is the other byproduct of overcharging.

As to the cause:

1. A battery with a bad cell.  So, even the best charger will try to charge that 10 VDC battery as if it were a 12 VDC battery.  So, one dead cell and the other 5 will be severely overcharged. If wet call batteries, this is best diagnosed with a hydrometer (under $10 at any auto parts house)

2. Charge voltage is too high, which can overcharge even a good battery bank. 

Correct float voltage (after being plugged in for at least a few hours should be 13.2- 13.5 VDC.  WHAT DOES A DIGITAL VOLTMETER READ AT THE BATTERIES (digital voltmeters start under $20)?

Sharon.  Welcome!

I think Brett pretty much, covered all the bases.  Does your Solar panel work when your hooked up to shore power? 

Blake.  You forgot about Brett ! :lol:

Carl

Carl....I think about Brett all the time!  In a good way of course!  Reread my post.....:P

Now go have some Blue Bell.....we have vanilla tonight!

Blake

Regarding the 2002 Winnebago Adventurer battery issue,

Yes all batteries, 2-12 V deep cycle chassis and 1-12 V house, are all located beneath the entry stairs which is open below to provide appropriate venting.

Regarding your model and year, it is quite common for the house battery's 6 cells to "boil" or just "evaporate" dry and require a top up of distilled water every 6 months.

I suspect that the smell from your battery compartment that you are experiencing is due to the converter trying to charge dry cells. 

Servicing the Deep Cycle House batteries every 6 months is the only solution I know of...

Ian

Checking water level every 6 months may be OK in cold climates, but in hot weather, a monthly check of water level will save you a lot of $$ on batteries.  This is particularly true if you do not have a smart charger THAT HAS BEEN PROPERLY PROGRAMMED.

Blake.  Your right, you did not forget...Sorry, my bad ! :unsure:

Brett.  Looks like I'm in TIME OUT...not you! :lol:

Sharon.  If you do find out your batteries are cooked.  May I suggest replacing with AGM's, yes they do cost more, but last longer and you don't have to worry about over charging. :)

Carl

Once a month I check and top off all 4 6 volt batteries in the coach and all six batteries in the Golf Cart. I have a pump up sprayer filled with distilled water. I took a pump up sprayer and cut off the spray head. I purchase my distilled water at Dollar General, some time about $0.50 per gallon but most of the time right at $1.00.

Herman

Welcome to the forum Sharon Gorsch. The first thing is to check the water level in the batteries. Next do some research on your charger / Parallax converter to see if it has a "smart charger". This is a charger that will taper off the charge as it reaches full charge so it doesn't overcharge them.

Bill

Having a battery with low water will expose the plates to the atmosphere and cause the area exposed to dry out and flake off. Those flakes will, over time, build up and short out the plates. This was called in the past a "Sulfaited  Battery". Until really bad, the battery will jump start and start all day long but left over night the battery will discharge. A Sulfaited Battery is gone and should be replaced. 

Herman

47 minutes ago, FIVE said:

This thread is a good reason to have AGM batteries...install them and forget about them.

Absolutely true as long as your smart charger or inverter/charger has been properly programmed.

SO, AGM's plus proper programming= trouble-free 12 VDC system.

I have heard about a method to install a Smart Charger on my coach. I have a receptacle in the engine compartment for the heater. It only has power when on shore power or generator. A friend told me he had known someone that had connected a Smart Charger to his chassis batteries and plugged it into the outlet. He said that each time he was on shore power the Smart Charger would maintain the batteries levels and not over charge them.

I am going to give it a try and will let you know the results.

Hope this isn't one of those, "A friend of mines third cousin, twice remove on his step father's brothers side, best friend told that it was rumored that it be so.":o

Herman    

Yes I do, however it is on with the inverter, generator and shore power. The plug I was talking about is off unless the coach is on gen. or shore power. That would be when that trickle charger would be on. 

Herman 

Thank you all for the information and warm welcoming!

I spoke with a tech engineer at Parallax and they actually recommend a temperature compensate module, which I am definitely thinking about having installed.

Sharon

Sharon.  Due to the placement of your batteries to begin with, how often do you remove the caps, all caps, to look at the water level?  By keeping them at the right level with distilled water, I don't understand how a Temp. Module is going to help? 

Carl 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 6:29 AM, hermanmullins said:

I have heard about a method to install a Smart Charger on my coach. I have a receptacle in the engine compartment for the heater. It only has power when on shore power or generator. A friend told me he had known someone that had connected a Smart Charger to his chassis batteries and plugged it into the outlet. He said that each time he was on shore power the Smart Charger would maintain the batteries levels and not over charge them.

I am going to give it a try and will let you know the results.

Hope this isn't one of those, "A friend of mines third cousin, twice remove on his step father's brothers side, best friend told that it was rumored that it be so.":o

Herman    

Herman,

I did same exact thing.  My maintainer is plugged into the outlet in engine compartment (used an extension) and the Battery Tender is on the small shelf in the electrical panel (right rear behind wheels) then the cords to the tender go to battery compartment from there.  Works perfectly and my chassis batteries haven't gone dead since.  We're always plugged in at home.

Blake

Be aware that this thread has separated into two related discussions:

1. The "care and feeding" of the house battery bank-- correct charging voltage, if wet cell, checking water level, etc.

2. How to keep the chassis battery bank charged.

Two basic methods:

a. A "smart thief" such as Xantrex Echo Charger that charges chassis battery bank when house bank is above a certain voltage (basically a smart battery combiner).

b. A separate small smart charger dedicated strictly to the chassis battery bank.