rfsod48

Maxxforce Engine

I am looking at a 2012 Monaco coach with the Maxxforce engine. Is this the Navistar engine that went under? Coach is priced at what seems to be a real bargain $142,000 but it has this engine. I think I know the answer but this is one I should pass on I guess.

Roland

Hi Brett,

The coach is a 2012 Monaco Knight 40DFT. Roadmaster chassis and Maxxforce 10 engine. It is at PPL in Texas.

I have not contacted PPL yet, price seen to good to be true for this year of coach. That is why I question the engine.

I believe the Maxxforce engine is the same one used in the International Trucks. International Trucks are made and sold most everyday all over the country. I have two friends that both have Monaco's Made by Navistar with Maxxforce engines and each have said they find no issues with the engines. One has had many problems with their coach while the other has had very few.

I personally love the Monaco product but would not consider purchasing one made after 2008.

Herman 

Roland, Google Maxxforce engine problems. I am going to side with Herman, after 08 Monaco would drop off of my list also.

Finding out there might be problems before you spend the money beats doing it after you have spent the money. Had a friend who found a car he liked and the prices was good so... After he bought it he stoped down the street for gas and the first thing the guy at the station says "I see they unloaded that old taxi on you". :o

Bill

Bill, that's cold.

Roland, when I look at coaches you might be interested in...I first think of your sons needs, secondly what you started this post with, steady ride! 

Carl

As an owner of a 2012 Monaco with the MaxxForce 10 engine I can say that there are no more issues with it than any other RV engine. All the owners I have had contact with like the engine. Those who jump in with the " Maxxforce has problems" comments forget to state which engine, the series 13 and larger are the engines with the emission control problems not the 7 or 10. I have over 36000 trouble free miles on mine. I wouldn't hesitate with that coach if it's the floorplan you want.

Thank you Carl, that also is my concern. Right now it seems that Monaco and Fleetwood Revolution are the top contenders for our needs. I am following up on a lead for each and I am sure I will have further questions.

Thank you all!

Roland

If you have a need to know just drive today down US Hwy 287 from Amarillo, Texas to Wichita Falls, Texas, Going east bound with a 25+ south wind. Great learning experience. Steering wheel at 1:00 o'clock for many and many miles.

Herman 

That was the trouble we had coming home from Arizona 2 weeks age, gusts up to 40mph. I could keep coach in lane but with much effort. Not fun to drive.

Roland

Cross winds are where two physics principles come together"

Long wheelbase/overall length WINS.

Good weight distribution (i.e. properly loaded front axle on a DP) WINS.

And, where things like proper sway bar, shocks, etc come in.

That is why we drive the coach we do. Don't expect any coach to "defeat" physics.

Sadly, most coaches are sold on interior layout and decor, NOT how they drive.

I need advice, I am looking at a 2008 Monaco Knight 40 DFT. It has a Cummins ISL 360 engine with no DEF and a RR8R chassis. It is a bath and 1/2 and appears in very good condition. It only has 14000 miles on it, I know this is a negative. The owners live in Arizona and use it to vacation in California. I am going to go see it as soon as I can get flight. How much concern is the engine and what othe concerns do you have?

Thanks all for your help!

Roland

Bill.  Agree, but as Brett pointed out, some do better than others!  In 2013 when I went along on I-10 in the dust storm that caused me to seek shelter in Deming, NM.  I don't know what the mph was, they shut down I-10 for 18 hours from El Paso, TX. to Wilcox.  With traffic on it !  Being able to see was my problem, not driving at 15-25mph!  I was buffered, but I did not have a problem staying in my lane...biggest concern to me was the OTR's, trailers was wandering...:wacko::blink:

Carl

Sorry Roland, you snuck in!

It's not a race car, you should have no rust problems, engine will need some servicing, you got one of the best chassis made.  Ref engine, is it a 06, 07 or 08?  Other than that, it's a win, win coach.

Roland, send a PM to Joe and VIN#.  I hope it's a 06' then it also does not do a re-generation on a Particulate filter!  2010 or newer is DEF.  My chassis and Engine is Dec. 09, coach is Jan 2010...no DEF !