palmettorambler

Connecting/disconnecting Sewer Hoses

Arthur-itis sometimes makes it difficult to connect/disconnect my sewer hoses to each other. Twisting those nipples into the slots, then untwisting is most difficult at times.

I keep a little white grease on those connections, but still have problems.

Anyone have a solution you've tried with success.

I thought an adjustable oil filter wrench might work, but not an ideal solution for several reasons.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

Marc,

Welcome to the Forum.  You may consider converting to a macerator system.  It takes longer to pump out (small hose vs bigger gravity hose) but it is much easier to handle.  Our hose stays attached to pump discharge all the time then I just cap off the end and put the hose in the bay.

Takes Arthur out of the equation.

Blake

My gripping strength is also suffering as I age. I keep a small hammer handy. A tap on one of the studs while holding the other section stationary usually works for me. Getting old beats the dickens out of the alternative. ?

If you type in RV sewer wrenches on the net you will see there are a few companies that make them, I think they will solve your problem. Smokeater75

4 hours ago, smokeater75 said:

If you type in RV sewer wrenches on the net you will see there are a few companies that make them, I think they will solve your problem. Smokeater75

I'm looking for the "Like" button.

Amazing what can be found on the bright web.

Thanks.

I have the magic to solve this problem.  My son-in-law, that constructs swimming pools, turned me on to this when he saw how much trouble I was having unloosing these four pronged fittings. Go to a swimming pool supply store and ask for a tube of Magic Lube.  It comes in 5 oz, or 1 oz tubes.  It was specifically formulated for the filter covers for swimming pools to make them easy to remove and also seal them.  It is a lubricant and a sealant.  It is non toxic and can be used on your large water filter O-Rings as well.  Basically it is a PTFE based non-melting, non-toxic, formula that is waterproof for use in wet and dry environments. A wide temperature range of 0 - 425 degrees  I tried it and I am 100% sold that this is the answer.  The caps and fittings come apart with no effort at all !!!!!  It is distributed by Aladdin Equipment Co. Inc. Sarasota, FL 34240 and it is MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Herman and all,

I discovered that my water filter housing wrench will fit the sewer fittings perfectly. Plan on getting another one or two and using them. Also, thanks, Paul, for the Magic Lube suggestion. Between the two of these, I'm sure I'll never have this problem again.

Glad to see others saw this and found help as well. Getting old is "****", but appreciative of the time here.

Thanks to all.

The oil filter wrench that is three position works great on the slinky connections. For about $10 you will be able to disconnect/connect them with little to no effort. I'm a 44 year retired aircraft mechanic/technician and my hands don't work as good as they used to. But this does work. 

image.jpg

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:48 PM, paul20436 said:

I have the magic to solve this problem.  My son-in-law, that constructs swimming pools, turned me on to this when he saw how much trouble I was having unloosing these four pronged fittings. Go to a swimming pool supply store and ask for a tube of Magic Lube.  It comes in 5 oz, or 1 oz tubes.  It was specifically formulated for the filter covers for swimming pools to make them easy to remove and also seal them.  It is a lubricant and a sealant.  It is non toxic and can be used on your large water filter O-Rings as well.  Basically it is a PTFE based non-melting, non-toxic, formula that is waterproof for use in wet and dry environments. A wide temperature range of 0 - 425 degrees  I tried it and I am 100% sold that this is the answer.  The caps and fittings come apart with no effort at all !!!!!  It is distributed by Aladdin Equipment Co. Inc. Sarasota, FL 34240 and it is MADE IN THE U.S.A.

Note to self; buy stock in Magic Lube. Thanks Paul.