rggarrott

Issue With Nationwide DBA AMCO Insurance

When I purchased my coach new in June 2015, I established coverage with AMCO Insurance, a subsidiary of Nationwide Insurance.  I THOUGHT I had my online presence properly set up, but it turned out I was wrong.  While on an extended summer trip through the West in 2016, my renewal came due.  Since the notices were sitting in mail holding back home, I never got the word and my policy lapsed.  My bad, my job to keep track of this.  As luck would have it, on the last day to reinstate my policy, I had a claim for a fairly significant rock strike on the windshield as I entered West Yellowstone, MT.  I contacted Nationwide Claims per my insurance card and received a claim number, despite the fact my policy had lapsed.  What I didn't get was the statement "We're sorry, Mr Garrott, but your policy has lapsed and this claim is not covered."  I made a call to my preferred service center in Georgia and gave them the claim number so they could order the glass.  I continued my meanderings home for another 12 days and 2000 miles, blissfully unaware that I was driving an uninsured vehicle.  We arrived safely and I was shocked to find multiple letters from AMCO in my held mail.  When I called Nationwide and asked the Claims Manager why they issued a claim number on a lapsed policy, he stated that the claims staff issuing the claim numbers did not have access to policy validity information.  I find that extremely difficult to believe and my opinion is that they deliberately kept me in ignorance so I would not reinstate the policy and have a valid claim.  Having lost trust in Nationwide and having become a bad risk (I actually filed a claim), I found other coverage and made darned sure that I would receive all correspondence via email.

The moral of the story is that RV owners need to carefully verify that a system is in place to receive insurance renewal notices when on the road.

rggarrott. Welcome!

All I read here, is you made a mistake!  Nothing of fault by either Nationwide or AMCO....blaming them or putting out a hypostasis, to wiggle out of your bad, is not fair to them or anybody else who reads this!

Carl 

Well, I do not believe the OP is actually degrading the insurance company to that degree, he is advising others to not make the same mistake that he did, by neglecting to make sure that his insurer has the ability to keep him notified by means other than snail mail. I use Allstate, and they have an app that I have downloaded onto my ;)semi smart phone that will keep me informed if I am smart enough to check it when the app will and does notify me. rggarrot, WELCOME to the forum.

I agree that the OP was at fault and Not AMCO. Sorry rggarrott, you seem to be a smart fellow, you have a computer and possibly a smart phone with a calendar. If I have something special I need to remember it goes on the calendar and I receive a reminder. Plus I have a wife that is on to of each and every bill we have.

Might I suggest that since you are on the road for extended periods that you have important bill put on auto pay. We have many of our bills on auto pay and paperless monthly statements. I get emails of bills due plus drafts that have been drawn for those on auto pay.

It sounds like AMCO went ahead and covered the claim, am I wrong?   

Herman