casuall454

FMCA Under Construction Feedback

Like many others I received FMCA National President Charlie Adcock email about allowing towables to join. The initial thought is greater numbers, greater influence into to the global (Recreational Vehicle) RV community. With most advantages their are usually disadvantages, the most obvious concern with this proposed C+BL modification is each group of RV owners will bring their points of concern and desired expectations of FMCA membership. If we as a group can't efficiently and effectively administer to the current membership, how can the FMCA administer to the needs, wants and desires of a larger more diverse membership with each division (Towable, Motorized, etc.) expecting to have their issue(s) be addressed by the FMCA?

After having attended FMCA rallies now in Georgia and Arizona. What I saw occur at Area and then President "meetings" was a system bound by 50 years of tradition, unchanged by the evolving world and membership needs with in this organization. In having conversations I am dumbfounded as to how conversations usually turn to FMCA membership and chapter dues that are "out of control", that are $80 to $100 USD annually while the person is discussing their most recent $470,000 USD coach purchase.

As I am a son member F184893S I had the fortune to travel with my parents, create lasting memories which lead me to purchase my coach. What I had the misfortune of viewing and hearing in the 1980's & 1990's with my parents at GLASS (Great Lakes Area Spring Spree) rallies was the politics of FMCA membership. The area rallies and national rallies at their "meetings" have deteriorated into a war of attrition as to which member, chapter or group can wait out the meeting the longest, get the most vocal so as to have the greatest influence.

In summery I offer the following;

1) FMCA needs to hold chapters into their area caucuses, you can't run a meeting with 400 different views and thoughts from each chapter wanting to rise and support their issue. The chapters need to formulate the key issue(s) of concern and empower the area presidents and executive board / director to act on their behalf for the collective FMCA. The current meeting system is dysfunctional at best. To be pointed I left during Perry, GA meeting as it was so nonproductive and dysfunctional.

2) FMCA needs to adjust their associate or retired dues, usual and customary charges are 1/2 of annual membership FMCA should reassess what associate dues are.

3) On-line payment of National and Chapter annual dues.

4) Life Membership at a cost that would allow FMCA to receive annual revenue from invested Life Membership Dues.

5) Tiered membership benefits aligned to (Associate, Member & Life) this practice is usual and customary with other organizations.

6) Continued expansion of FMCA member benefits. Examples of FMCA lagging behind benefits offered by other groups.

a: Good Sam has greater campground participation and percent of discount then FMCA

b: Local RV Show offered $2.00 discount with Good Sam membership, yet noting for FMCA

7) Local recruitment at RV shows, link to the "Largest Show in Ohio", KOA, Good Sam, Passport USA, Pilot/Flying J, Ohio State Parks Volunteers in Parks (VIP program) and numerous other organizations. Guess what group I didn't see with a recruitment or benefit of membership booth / table?

http://www.ohiorvandboatshow.com/

8) Enter into working partnership with motor-coach manufacturers. If a person purchases a new coach offer a "complementary" first years membership at renewal time waive the initiation fee. Let's capture perspective new members at the time of purchase !!

The current FMCA directors are attempting to resolve past practices and 50 years of tradition, unchanged by progress that has placed the FMCA in this position. I'm just not sure that expanding membership base best serves the organization as a whole. If membership cost (annual dues) to benefits offered (return of value by membership) increases then membership would increase.

Here is the hoping that some suggestions serve as talking points, for the directors of the FMCA.

Fraternally,

I looked at the link, and the comments.  One that struck my thought was the "If I can't get a FREE ticket, then I can't go"!  If $12 is an issue?  How then can you afford anything that is being promoted? :blink::wacko:

I have never run across Chapter dues, that are more than $25 a year! :o  FMCA rally's can add up if you want 50A. Your choice on how many Area Rally's you want to attend...or Pre Rally.  :P

Carl

We are not rally goers. We like the small get-to-gather groups of about 20 rigs or less. It let's us get to know the people and we have made some life-long friends in smaller groups. Texas Boomers and RV Mutants are the two groups that we get together with and have wonderful times and memories.  All the hoopla of large rallies are just not for us.  Hey, to each their own. 

The other benefits of belonging to FMCA out-way the annual cost. 

I always wondered how the FMCA Assist would work. Well, I  now know.  This past month or so friends went to Florida in their RV.  He had a heart attack and only has 20% muscle working his hart.  After stabilization FMCA Assist provided a medical Lear jet with medical personnel on board and flew him and his wife to Little Rock where a better care surgeon was located.  Fortunately they also live in LR.  FMCA Assist was going to provide for getting their motorhome back to LR and flying the two pooches back to LR.  As it was, friends went to Florida and drove the MH and pooches back. FMCA Assist is picking up their expenses.

My personal thoughts on opening up the FMCA to other than Motorhome owners will enhance the coffers and be able to continue to provide that wonderful additional benefit. 

Thanks FMCA.

I did provide comment using the link contained in National President Charlie Adcock email. That e-mail response to FMCA President Adcock was anonymous, now I am on the forums to possibly offer others discussion points for the executive board to consider. I am hopeful that change will occur with the directors of FMCA or I expect in the future FMCA will continue to exist in some form.

The question will be in what capacity and function ? How many businesses and organizations do you remember that have gone dark? After they vacated the market, what was their lasting influence or remembrance?

I prefer not to b***h, gripe, moan, groan, complain, wimpier or whine with out offering at least one solution (in my opinion). Listed above are eight (8) of what I considered workable solution(s) for the board to consider or possibly use as talking points were in my opening post.

Does anyone consider them viable? with out merit? do you have a suggestion / recommendation? If so post it here, let others see our recommendations for change. FMCA is "OUR" organization, we need to take an active roll in this process. Our blame no one yet ourselves if failure occurs. Here is to hoping that someone, anyone from the executive board reads this !!  If you are from the executive board, please respond I for one would be very pleased to know that someone who resides in the crystal palace would be willing to interact with us, your minions.

In summery FMCA board of directors;

Status quo is not status good enough. ~ John Harbaugh

John.

Bottom line is how each individual member of a club or chapter feel or believe should be done, they take a vote and pass on to me, how they want me to vote at the National Convention July 11th!  As a National Director for the Swinging Golfers INTO aka SWG INTO.  It is my responsibility to represent and Vote on any Amendments or Officer, per the members off SWG.  Not what I feel or want ! 

Do you belong as a member of a club?  That's the best way to make your own opinion heard via the ND for that club.

I read what you have to say and the same with all others!  I can't vote for you.

Carl

Well I am not setting in a Crystal Palace, but I would be happy to talk to anyone that has any questions. I can't type real well, but feel free to call me.

My # is 501-278-6172.

Charlie Adcock

I wanted to clarify a few details about our remodeling plan:

1. 1)  Per the FMCA constitution, any change approved by the Governing Board goes out to general members for a vote. Details of any proposed change approved in Indianapolis would be placed in our September, October, and November issues of the magazine. That gives membership 90 days to cast their vote. Membership has the final say.

2. 2)  The question has come up about complimentary memberships. We currently have exactly that program in place with many of the dealers and manufacturers. The buyer is given the opportunity to accept a complementary one year of FMCA membership. 24% of complementary offers are redeemed. Of those that redeem, 47.5% renew after their complementary offer expires. The program is working, and we continue to add new dealers and manufacturers every day.

3. 3)  Do we want to keep FMCAssist? The answer from members is a resounding YES.

FMCA’s ability to offer it as part of FMCA membership is in jeopardy. Our average member age is 71, which is driving up our loss ratio. If we finish the year at our current loss rate, the yearly premium for FMCAssist will rise above $800,000. This premium is currently paid out of investments. With our investment account around $7.7 million, one big correction paired with this hefty premium could do a number on our balance.

Getting younger and having a larger pool will help with the premium cost. 

I did receive the complementary membership when I purchased my motorhome, and then renewed when time was up.

I am on the 5 year plan also.

Can't make Indianapolis this year, but will be in attendance next!

I still think the membership dues are affordable and the benefits offer good value!

Membership expires 11/19/2017, on the fence to renew. I really don't see much in benefits, I get more out of comradery then benefits. I will be 45 this year and DW will be 47, getting there but not close to the average age. I would go to a rally, but to drive for 2 days to and from is a bit much while working full time.

One observation that has me deeply concerned, if you look at the other forums on the internet the "other RV" people on there are often angry, this includes Facebook. All I keep picturing is the current FMCA (calm friendly people) turning into the bashing each other and derogatory comments you see elsewhere and I don't want to see that on here. While you can manage it this is not the place for it, the people on here are considered to be friends and extended family. I know you can't hand pick the members and there are good and bad on each side, just seems to be worse over there. Stop and look around most campgrounds, take it in and digest it, maybe in a place where the average age is retired its not common, I could believe that.

If we do renew it will be at Hershey, nice people in the FMCA booth, always welcoming with open arms.

Joe.  Mine was not due until 4/18...It's not a perfect world.  As Wayne has under his name.."it is what it is, then it's what YOU make of it".  5 years now for $200 is a no brainer to me!

Just saying! :)

I am very pleased that comments have been read and responded. Thank you for taking time from your obligations to respond.

Charlie I was never presented a FMCA membership offer with my 2014 purchase ? I am pleased to know that some suggestions are currently being utilized. Hopefully a few of the other suggestions serve as discussion points for consideration and review of viability. Thank you for you phone number, l welcome the opportunity to speak with you.

An update to FMCA membership;

FMCA President Charlie Adcock not only took time to read my post and others within this post and provide comment back. He further took the often difficult stance to reach out and speak with a person who has a different opinion then his. As a testament to his leadership we continued to speak and explore the difficult path ahead for the FMCA and its members. We had spirited conversation and direct dialogue on matters effecting the FMCA both internal and external, he was engaged with my feedback and view on the FMCA from the opinion and eyes of a 50 year old "young member".

He truly believes that we are the future of the FMCA and I must concur, however we the next generation of members and future leaders require the mentor-ship of our tenured members. We need to know what the FMCA has done right, what it has done wrong (and learn from those mistakes, less we make them again) and how we make the FMCA a better organization. It is easy to hold knowledge and take the "I know more then you approach", however does anyone really gain with that approach? Holding of knowledge and not providing of mentor-ship coupled with succession training wasn't accepted in the US Army and it isn't accepted in my current job with the Fire Department. To our tenured members with many years of FMCA experience share your knowledge and assist us, the future generations of the FMCA.

Charlie I wanted to thank you for taking time to speak with me, coupled with your offer of personally meeting July in Indianapolis. If my schedule allows for it, know that I welcome the opportunity to  meet and further discuss issues effecting the FMCA.

Thank you for the follow up post. I was thinking about this on the way in to work today. Pondering in my head where the future of FMCA is headed and what is around the corner. While I am not 100% on board with the change and here is one reason I am concerned.... I truly believe less than 40% of motorhome owners are members and I'd bet the vast majority of the other  60% doesn't know FMCA exists or doesn't see any value for their dollar. It needs to be put out in front of people at the time of purchase to begin with, step one... make people aware. With that being said what number of folks will know about it if and when it opens up to trailers? I feel we and FMCA leadership need to get out in front of our target members and sell it. So what do you sell? The younger generation often doesn't think forward enough to see the benefit in FMCA assist, or feel they don't need it yet. Trailer folks wont get any value in the tire program, Continental and Michelin both do not offer small trailer tires that I can find on either web site. Perhaps campground discounts for the future would be a good selling point to start with, other stuff? Any ideas? 

Here is a great example of how little know of FMCA. Every time I book a campground, I always ask if FMCA members get a discount (I do it on purpose as a test), the response is almost always "what is FMCA? No, sir do you have Good Sam"? One time in 8 years I got a YES we will give you the same discount as Good Sam.

In order to sell something you have to have a product that is desired, how do we accelerate above the competition to make it desirable? Let's toss some ideas out so there so it can move forward and give FMCA leadership something to look into.

How about updating and getting more FMCA commercial campgrounds on board, the ones I have seen are pretty rundown, perhaps that needs some attention?

GO

If the Rally in the Valley, Chandler, AZ is any indication of the health of FMCA, then I don't think we are going away, any time soon!  Since we all are now in the computer age, it's easy to get an average age of our membership, so I wonder what the average is for GS?  Anybody on the Executive Board know?  I also wonder, like Joe, how we would get cross overs from GS to FMCA...what can we offer that GS does not already offer?

I also, would like to know, where do you think or what kind of study has been done, to lower the age group of RV owners?  I know that Jeff and his group are working hard to make Rally's a fun experience for children and teens, but they're not about to go out and buy a RV anything, at this time! 

Let's say we open up to towable owners, and we get 10,000 new members in FMCA.  I think the age average would be about the same and we would have the same financial burden as we do now!  Older people join clubs...today is not like it was, pre 2000.  The family unit has changed, dramatically in the past 20+/- years! 

One thing is for sure, in my humble opinion.  We do need to change with the changing time, we can't think like we did from the 1960's to the early 1990's and expect to survive!  My other thought is that only RV owners can give an idea as to what they want, not spending a bunch of $$$$ that we supposedly don't have, on outside consultants, that probably don't have a RV ! 

Thank you for letting me put a few things out, here!

Carl (74 years young)

Mr. Adcock,  I have several thoughts, comments, suggestion and proposals that I would like to put out there; however, not on social media

May I prepare and send them to you via the old fashion way?  Mail, that is.  If so, to what address may I send such correspondence?

kmcabee1960,

You may send Charlie a PM, just click on his picture and select message.or You may send it to cadcock@fmca.com. Charlie will respond to either. If you give him your phone number, I can assure you that he will call you. He is great at reading, He has his PHD in talking but failed typing.:rolleyes:

He would rather talk directly to you so there will not be any misunderstandings.

Herman 

On 3/23/2017 at 9:34 AM, manholt said:

Let's say we open up to towable owners, and we get 10,000 new members in FMCA.  I think the age average would be about the same and we would have the same financial burden as we do now!

Exactly.  Don't fool yourselves into thinking there aren't young people with motorhomes out there.  Over 51000 new motorhomes shipped to dealers last year. That means 51000 potential new members.  Either these new ones were bought by people new to motorhomes, or people trading in older ones.  The older RV's are then bought by new motorhomers, or trading in even older motorhomes. Eventually these older motorhomes are bought by younger people. You don't need trailers, you need to find these older motorhome owners.