On another forum the subject of towing 4 wheels down with no rock guard on motorhome came up. Some there felt that the toad and back of motorhome stayed cleaner without the rock guard and only mud flaps behind the dual wheels. Has anyone done this here and what were the results? 

Roland

I tow my toad 4 wheel down without a rock guard, just mud flaps on the MH.

No rock chips in toad paint or windshield, does get dirty at times, maybe I just been lucky.  25k miles of towing in last 5 years.

Jim

Roland.

If you look at Prevost and Newell, you'll only see a stiff mud flap, between the drive wheels and tag.  We had a very long Post on this same issue a couple of years ago!  On top of main page there is a box for Search, enter rock guard and you'll find it.

I towed my first toad in 1985, behind a 1981 Apollo 31 foot gasser, no RG and no damage.  Then a 1987 Barth 34' DP, no RG, no damage.  Currently, I have a RG and need to replace windshield on Jeep...I think it was the luck off the draw, never had it happen before and this is my 9th toad !

Does a RG help to keep rear or side radiator cooler in summer, due to turbulence?  The Vote is still out on that too!  My feeling is that if 2+ million dollar coaches don't have it, I don't need it.:P

Carl

I towed a Black Silverado and didn't notice any rock chips on the truck, I then traded it for a White Silverado and then I noticed quite a few chips. The paints undercoating was black and didn't show up on the black truck but it was a different situation on the white truck, I could then notice each and every chip. Would a rock guard help, I don't know. I have a small mud flap behind my tag and a full flap across the rear. It is tucked under the rear maybe 2 feet. Could it be re-positioned maybe, would it help I don't know. Maybe I could get NASA or GM to let me use their wind tunnel and test to air flows in the rear for turbulence.:huh:

Herman 

I think this is an area some people have a fear and the RV industry advertising talks them into stuff they probably don't need. 3rd Jeep toad now none have had any chips or damage. This coach has small flaps behind the rear wheels and a rock guard. The last coach had nothing. I have always felt the length between the drive tires and rear of coach play a huge part in this.

Carl, that damage could have been a flying stone from a vehicle passing you, that's very common.

I have the Blue Ox Kar-Gard II (screen between MH and TOAD).   Never noticed any new chips and dings but just driving down the highway in TOAD has caused some.  Alos have chips on side where 18 wheeler's have thrown up grit.

Yes, yes and yes!  Unless it's in the garage or enclosed trailer, this is still a question to ponder!  I think Herman is on to something, NASA !  :wub: 

It seem that all of the high end coaches that I have seen if they have a rock guard at the back of the coach have it placed to be 6" or more above the ground. Is this significant? All also have mud flaps just behind the back wheels (drive wheels). Many have advocated that with mud flaps a rock guard isn't needed. Herman get to work with NASA and get this figured out!

Roland:D

Roland.  High end coaches generally, not all, have air/jack or air only leveling.  When you dump the air, the RG will either fold in or out...murphy's law will also keep it straight and it's not designed to bear 28 to 35 tons of weight, so by mounting it high, less likelihood of destroying the RG. :D  Most RG's that I see, has the name of the Manufacturer on it and I think that is it's true purpose! B)

40+ years ago, I had a RG installed that looked like a long haired broom, that hung from the bumper to the ground, also did not work...gone after a month!  Just mud flaps behind drive wheels worked better !

I'm having mine removed before I go to Texarkana next month...we'll see what happens to jeep and rear of coach!

Carl:lol:

First post for a new member and thanks for the reading on a lot of subjects. Newly retired and getting ready for our first trip. Bought our first Motorhome used 32ft Fred and had everything done to attach our jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. I want to protect it and have mud flaps and a rockgauard already attached when we bought it. The question is is it enough or should I consider the attachment to thr blueox tow bar? Any help is appreciated 

Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome aboard. With what you currently have you may not need anything else. I and going to take my rock guard off and use mud flaps only. Others have found this to be successful. 

Safe travels and enjoy your R V.

Roland

I'm learning is this because the rockgaurd might reflect the debris into the TOAD where with the mud flaps there already down?

Yes, and there is some thought that the mud flap might change the rear radiator cooling. Not sure about that but I am going to try.

Also critical is how low the rock guard hangs.  If low enough that it can hit the ground over bumps, it can actually throw MORE debris on the toad than without it.

I am in the "no rock gard" camp. My toad has only a couple of small chips. I watched very carefully when I got it for damage while towing. I have 60,000 miles on it now and I can't see any damage that can be attributed to being towed. 

I was talking to some one about this same subject at the last 6 State rally and we looked at his toad and it was badly chipped. He had the full with mud flap behind his coach. I don't know how high it was with his bags inflated to travel hight but I think it was to low and causing stones and debris to be deflected up into his toad. I have made it a point to look at coaches on the road to see if they had the full with flaps. I have also noted they don't hang strait down when at speed. they are at a 30-45 degree angle. 

Well until Herman gets NASA to let us run test in their wind tunnel we won't have any definitive proof. :D

Bill

Bill, mine hangs low 2" maybe 3" from the ground with bags inflated and tucks up above the body line, no chips on either toad. I'm guessing the height of the jeep has something to do with it? Current toad is stock height....current toad gets a chip....nice knowing you guys :wacko:

Thanks for ideas I'm going for a drive next week and will check the gap between the bottom and pavement. With the diesel up front I'm not concerned with air flow. The jeep is at stock height. Will let you know how it goes. Mark

All thanks there is a 2 inch gap between the rock guard and pavement, so I think I'm good to go with that and med flaps. Thanks Mark

Update.  I still have the rock guard on coach.  At this time I have enough high ticket items to take care off...having my roof re sealed and everything up there has got to come out !  Also, removing Diamond Shield on front and use one of two other new ideas!  I'll put that in a separate post.

Have found out that if I want to add mud flaps to my coach, it would require a rigid flap between my drive axel and tag=$$$, then a flap after the tag.  A little extreme, for this type of experiment...so, I'll wait on Herman to get NASA going on this project ! :lol:

Carl

I cut 5" off the bottom of mine, we shall see what happens next month. We are planning to be at Diesel club meeting beginning of July. My wife is scheduled for further back surgery the 12th of July. Hope she will be able to walk better.

Roland. I'll be at the same meeting, then Indy the 11th, 12th, leave for a RV Park in Clear Creek IN. We fly to Europe the 14th!

Carl