rhansen

Windy Camping Question

Does anyone have an idea on how best to set up your RV when camping in the wind? Specifically, is it better to lower the RV to it's wheels, or leave it on the Stabilizers? I have a 35' class A and am expecting high winds tomorrow. We're talking about 70MPH gusts, steady wind at 40-50.

Any help would be appreciated. 

I place the jack down and level it the lowest elevation that is level.  If you have slides and awnings they should retracted as well as your TV antenna and satellite dish if you have one.

If possible park you RV with the front heading into the wind.  You also want to make clear of any trees that may blow over.

I have ridden out some pretty high winds on the Oregon coast without any damage

Jim

Thanks for the help. Slides have been in most of today. TV antenna doesn't extend, so no problem. I think we'll sit it out off the air suspension & minimal stabilizers.

Had the same conditions in Deming, NM about 5 weeks ago and in a RV park, I had no choice about where or how to park.  I took the wind on passenger side, with my slides (4) out and on air leveling only.  It works like a floating foundation of a house, coach moves with the gust's, no fear of tipping over.  I have jacks also, but never use them!

Carl

I have only air leveling. Would like to have jacks also just to put then down for stability to take out the small bit of rocking. The first thing I do when parking and leveling the coach is to dump the air and then check to see how level we are. Most of the times I manually level. I use the "Chalk method" (an old friend of our's), Bobbie stands by the bathroom door. If the door will stay in position when opened, then we are level. If when it is opened and it still swings one way or the other we ain't level.  

Carl when you were in Deming (we remember those winds also) and the coach was moving could you hear your sweet mother's voice singing in Norwegian, "Rock a by baby in the tree top". I bet it would have been a beautiful memory.

Herman

I do not have air leveling, just jacks.  They have always been down during high winds, including hurricane condition 1. (We didn't get far enough away in evacuation)  Antenna down, slide in on windy side.

Better to find a Walmart, HD, Lowe's or mall and park on the leeward side if possible.

Wayne.  Wall Mart was full of OTR's and that's the only big lot in Deming, other than dirt RV parks.

Herman.  When I'm parked on air only, I feel very little rocking...maybe the 57, 000 pounds have something to do with that?  I level the same as you, only I don't use a door, since I don't have one, if I'm camped for more than 2 night's, I use a cracked egg in my frying pan...if it stay's in center, I'm level as far as I'm concerned!  Then I fry the egg and eat it. :o:P

Let's see.....the topic?  I know, what's wrong with me!  You have mentioned this many times in the past.

IMHO, if you have air suspension AND jacks then you should drop all air and use the least amount of jack extension possible to give you a comfortable living environment.  If you only have air suspension or only jack leveling the rules change.

John.

I also carry a level.  I just like to have my stove top level...Since I'm all electric, I don't worry about the fridge,  but I cook a lot when I'm camped for a week + !  I have yet to be in a coach, that everything built inside is level to the floor!  Also, a level is only as good as how often it's calibrated...I do all of mine once a year, 4 at my house and 2 in coach.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, RHansen said:

Thanks for the help. Slides have been in most of today. TV antenna doesn't extend, so no problem. I think we'll sit it out off the air suspension & minimal stabilizers.

How did your coach handle the high winds with the way you set it up?

Blake

When I level I use the two way bubble app in my smart phone and then confirm with bathroom door swing test then check again after I open slides. Large kitchen slide counter top ends up level, no egg on one side of frying pan.:ph34r:

Sorry to have strayed off the windy topic was replying to Carl's reply. We have leveling jacks and was told if ever get caught in a high wind situation to keep slides in, dump the air and use the jacks not to lift the coach but to just take the weight to stabilize the unit. If you do not have to remain in the coach don't. But most of all DO NOT try to drive through it,find shelter and wait it out, behind shopping center ect...

It's not the sustained winds that bother me, I can adjust for that.  It's the gusts and if your in a dusty area, like anything West off Ozona, TX on I-10.  Poor visibility.  Anything over 40mph wind and am off and sheltered...Don't want to replace windshield and windows, or a new paint job!

Carl

11 hours ago, blakeloke said:

How did your coach handle the high winds with the way you set it up?

Blake

"Rock-a-by-baby"says it all. Wind kept the RV rockin' all night long. Next day, wind just as bad, but with minimal levelers. MUCH better. RV hardly rocked at all. 

So I guess the answer is: air suspension off and levelers at the minimum. Thanks everyone.