hayesfamily

Garden State Parkway

A few months ago I started a thread that talked about the Garden State Thruway and my experience when I brought our coach home the first time. To refresh people's minds I got on the Garden State Parkway with our coach and immediately started seeing signs that said no vehicles over 7000 pounds gross vehicle weight. I assumed that meant Only commercial vehicles and some of the folks here have confirmed my assumption. Nevertheless to prevent a $500 fine and or 30 days in jail I decided to hop off and take the long way around.

I had an opportunity to talk to a gentleman who experienced a serious problem on the New Jersey Garden State Parkway above I believe exit 105 and he was not only pulled over and given a Stern talking-to he was actually ticketed in excess of $500 for several violations one being overweight on the parkway. This gentleman was pulling a trailer with an F-350 but because the combined vehicle weight of the two vehicles exceeded 10,000 pounds he was cited. He then turns me on to this particular website which explains and a little bit better detail the law in the state of New Jersey when it comes to the Garden State Parkway. Powerfully none of us get into an issue with the state of New Jersey as it pertains to the parkway but I just wanted to post this for some general discussion. And also perplexes me how the interpretation of the law can be different depending on volunteer and even with judge you end up standing in front of.

Here we go

Trucks with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds are prohibited from the Parkway north of Exit 105 (Trucks are defined as??????)

http://www.nj.com/articles/19084660/what_trucks_are_allowed_on_the_garden_state_parkway_and_where.amp

I have attached a copy of the link where this came from and after reading it I would love somebody to tell me what sense any of it makes because it does not give any type of specifics. A whole lot of ambiguity but no specifics.

14 minutes ago, HayesFamily said:

Trucks with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds are prohibited from the Parkway north of Exit 105 (Trucks are defined as??????)

http://www.nj.com/articles/19084660/what_trucks_are_allowed_on_the_garden_state_parkway_and_where.amp

I have attached a copy of the link where this came from and after reading it I would love somebody to tell me what sense any of it makes because it does not give any type of specifics. A whole lot of ambiguity but no specifics.

"There is another reason why big trucks are banned on the northern section of the Parkway. Overpasses have low clearances, especially the older arch bridges seen in Union County, which could mean trouble for high trucks."

The above is a quote from the link that you provided, is probably the most valid reason of all, also the excess weight does break down a roadway faster than the lighter traffic, as well the fact the roadway may have not been built to withstand the extra weight for conservation purposes, in other words, if concrete, may only be 8 inches as opposed to 14, and such concerns.

I travel the GSP regularly. The regulations do not pertain to Motorhomes or travel trailers. I've never had a problem with my motor home. The bridges in Union county are roughly 11'4" in the right and left shoulders so if even you are in the right or left lanes you  have 12+ feet of clearance with curve of the arch, middle lanes are obviously the way to go. 

Philc.  Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose would happen if I, or any other full size Class A, traveled where there is less than 13 foot 6 inch clearance? 

Manholt

I edited my original post should have stated that the center lanes are 14+feet. I don't know of many MH taller than 13'6". I think we all have to be well aware of the  routes we take when traveling  to avoid a catastrophe. I see the big rigs all the time traveling the length of the GSP. 

Phil

I understand that we are supposed to know the height of bridges when we decide to select routes for us to travel. Based on everything that I've heard and everything that I've read here so far I personally would avoid the Garden State Parkway like it has the plague. That is the reason I jumped off of it when I did because I wasn't exactly sure if the issue was the height of bridges or whether or not the road itself was not wide enough to accommodate a vehicle of that weight. What I can tell you is that the toll Booth was about as narrow as a red ant in a wild hens butt.

All it takes is for an incident to happen and they shut down the center lane and I'm potentially stuck. In fact from the measurements that we're talking a lot of people including 5th wheel travel trailers would be stuck.

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Philc.  Just out of curiosity, what do you suppose would happen if I, or any other full size Class A, traveled where there is less than 13 foot 6 inch clearance? 

This question isn't to fall out of the box because in the event we have to travel one of those extreme lanes for emergency purposes what are we going to do? In other words there is never a problem until there is a problem and then you have a great big problem. I am exactly 12 feet tall and if they did not remeasure that bridge the last time they laid some asphalt I could potentially be in some trouble. 

Phil.  With AC 13' 1".  I get a warm feeling at 14' 6"...there is a parkway (Toll) in Oklahoma that has 13' 6"....never been on it.  Have seen what happens after a paving job on a underpass that was 14'+ and a 18 wheeler got high centered. 

By the way, this conversation is on another Post, think it was in 2015.

Carl

Carl ... I didn't mean to rehash another post out. My goal was to get some true accurate information from somebody that actually experienced the parkway so I could make a decision if I ever wanted to run it again. I think you kind of boils down to you have to do what's comfortable for you but it's hard to do that without information. Some people are not comfortable driving class 8 so they prefer to drive a Class C or vice versa. It's all about preference and we got a lot of Road in this country to pick from.

17 hours ago, manholt said:

Wouldn't bother me as long as it is above 12' 4" (Think basement AC).

If the sign says over "weight or" restricted and I'm over that weight I stay off. If it says "Trucks not allowed," then I'm cautious but I'm not a truck. Registrations says Recreational Vehicle.

If I know the route I'm taking I'll use this web site AITA Online knowing that it is NOT all inclusive.

While your at it why don't you read my second reply to Phil.  Apparently you missed it because I didn't put the "c" in Phil's name..:rolleyes: 

On 3/25/2017 at 9:47 AM, wayne77590 said:

If the sign says over "weight or" restricted and I'm over that weight I stay off. If it says "Trucks not allowed," then I'm cautious but I'm not a truck. Registrations says Recreational Vehicles

I'm not sure if this makes a difference and not for us but there is a sign on there that clearly says no trucks over 7,000 pounds. The question is are we consider trucks in that instance because I don't think any because in this post alone I'm probably the lightest coach coming in at 21,000 gross vehicle weight

On the GSP the weight restrictions are for commercial vehicles. Motorhomes and travel trailers are consider personal use type vehicles and are permitted the full length of the parkway provided you meet the bridge height on the northern part. Also tow dollies are not a permitted use. The few tow dollies I see are empty and I assume someone is following behind the MH in the toad.Unfortunalely the website for the GSP is that easy to get info from but a phone call is the way to go.

I have gone to CT and Wildwood NJ ( own a place in both areas ) every year, sometimes many times. Motorhome and trailer travel have been twice a year for almost 20 years.  have never had a problem on the GSP ..  I pulled a travel trailer late 90's and a MH ever since that. North Jersey if you stay in the lane second to the left of the divider or median you are good as it's 13' 6" or more. It's just those old stone arches that are lower and marked as such over the breakdown shoulder line.

Motorhomes are in a gray area as mentioned and are personal use vehicles. A reason we don't have to go into weigh stations or agricultural check pullouts. I have seen one fifth wheel pulled over in all those years and I'll bet it was a speeding issue. I have been followed, looked at, gone by so many troopers  who never bother me.

I traveled the full length of the GSP in my old Class C RV several times but haven't with my current one.  My old RV height was around 11'5".  This summer I have a trip planned which I would come home from Maine and head down the GSP.  So a few minutes ago I Googled about height of underpasses on the GSP to see if they are listed anywhere and found this is a hot topic on many forums and some include old information including some about a maximum width of 8'-0".    When you look up GSP regulations you end up with several links to Chapter 8 of the NJ Administrative Code.  In 2005 they were repealed and the GSP came under the NJ Turnpike Authority and are included in Chapter 9.  It is clear that RV's are allowed up to 13'-6" high and 8'-6" wide are allowed the full length. See the definition of Camper in the first section and then look at § 19:9-1.9 Limitations on use of Roadway  the regulations are at www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/regulationsunofficialversionforWebsite.pdf  The issue is now is to pick a time when the traffic flow is lighter as the area where the low underpasses are can get heavy at times and it maybe difficult to get make lane changes to avoid the low shoulder side lanes. 

Thanks Carl you must have read my post during the time I was updating it.  The good thing about the Internet is you have a lot of information at your fingertips, the bad thing about the Internet is much of it is outdated information.   

I would be weary of weight restrictions as sometimes they are for Bridges's along the route and those bridges don't care if it's a truck or a coach