F434351

Cell Phone Use In Canada

I am planning a trip to Alaska driving through Canada. I have an AT&T phone.  AT&T wants $40 plus $1.00 per minute for using my phone in Canada. I have heard that you can change to a Canadian SIM card and use a Canadian calling card for much less. My phone is unlocked and I can use any SIM card.  Does anyone out there have any  history with this type of phone use.  If So I can really use your help.

Thank you

Call AT&T on you att. phone 611. Tell them that you understand there is international calling available for Mexico and Canada. We got it when we went on a cruise for use in Mexico. There was no additional cost.  Just one of those unadvertised items they don't tell you about but will accommodate you with if you just ask.

Herman 

I called AT&T. They said I had to purchase a "Passport" for my phone and then pay $1.00 per minute for voice calls.

I have called twice and got the same answer both times.

Thanks

Phone the competition and then use their rate to beat yours down 

or pick up a pay as you go phone 

visit  Telus or Bell mobility for info 

I have passport on my iPhone 6, AT&T $30 for a month of unlimited talking & texting to any other iPhone user in Europe..I'm there twice a year now and 99% of the folks I speak with have iPhone 6 or 7!  My normal bill is $102 a month...with Passport, it's $143,  Throw away phone with 400 min=$85, I still get billed $102 when my iPhone is home.  No brainer!

Herman is right.  Cost me nothing in Mexico or Canada...I just use 611 to let them know.  One time I forgot, $389 because I also forgot to turn off my smart phone on ship!

One other thing to be careful about is when you get near the border and you don't have your phone set up for international travel. You can pick up a cell tower across the border and not know it. All those apps that update automatically will cost you a bunch when it is billed as international roaming. 

Bill

I also have unlimited talk and data in Canada & Mexico with my AT&T plan.  I did have to call them to add it to my account.  There was no additional charge for the add on..  I have used it in Canada without a problem.