We have a 1999 Tradewinds and our Dometic frig has never given us any trouble.  We have been running it on gas when we traveled and all was fine.  We were advised not to travel with the gas on so have been turning it off and leaving the frig closed while enroute.  Now, the freezer is cold on the bottom and warm on top and frig completely warm. Have tried both gas and electric to see if the problem was one or the other to no avail.  I know there is an answer and I also know that techs will just advise buying a new unit.  Not an option.

Thanks for any help you can give.  Britt

The first thing I would do is stop listening to people who tell you you can't run it on gas when driving.:o The next thing to try is do a "power cycle" turn the frig off, turn all your power off "battery switch" after 5 minutes turn it back on and try it on gas.  Make sure you have propane. Light the stove to check there is no air in the line. You should be able to hear the burner light and burn. If it still won't work, take the cover off the circuit board and check the fuse. I think it is a 5 amp. Let us know if that works.

Bill 

I have the Dometic side by side in my 2003 Pace Arrow.  A little over a year ago it failed.  I found replacement units would require modifying  the cabinet. We dry camp 95% of the time so a residential unit was out.  After  a lot of research I went with a Amish cooling unit.  I did the work myself and have been very happy with the way it works.  I did add two fans to the vent while it was out.   I  would recommend the Amish  cooling unit as replacement.

Once you smell ammonia that's the end of the unit . It has ruptured and will not work anymore , sorry for the bad news . Time for a new one or a rebuilt system such as the Amish as described.

Michael

I agree, if its leaking its DONE! Depending on the size of the existing refrigerator your options can be slim. If you dry camp often a residential unit or absorption unit would work, depending on your battery/solar capabilities. When we dry camp (not often) I run the generator in the AM and PM for meal prep, it satisfies my batteries for the remainder of the day and night, I have no solar either.

The Amish type of cooling units are an option but very expensive. In the end you will have to make a decision that works best for you. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

cmarq,

We also dry camp quite often (be it though in a WalMart parking lot). Most of the time we have driven for several hours and the Batteries are full. In the evening while we relax and watch some TV I will run the generator till bed time. I then turn the gen. off. With the Residential Refrigerator on the inverter and a night light (bathroom you know) I will still have better than 60% battery left and my batteries are 4 years old which I am replacing today. A birthday present to myself.:wub: Our residential refrigerator runs on the inverter 24/7/365 nary a problem.

Herman

17 hours ago, bdensford said:

Hey Bill thanks for the info.  When we got in there we see that it is leaking ammonia.  Should we proceed?

Well you have been given the bad news. Unless you want to go "retro" and go back to living with an ice chest it's time for a new refrigerator.:o 

You can look at replacing just the cooling unit. The only down side is your old refrigerator box. How are the door seals and condition?

I don't know why this didn't post yesterday??? Well anyway Herman, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!:D

Bill

Herman, Happy Birthday.  I understand your comment about residential fridge but we are in one spot for 2-3 weeks and sometimes need to leave the coach for 2 days.  I have solar and run a Honda 2000i when we are there, but my battery bank is only two 6V golf cart batteries and it would be very difficult to add more I could get them in but service on them would be a nightmare.  The other factor was the remodel to get a residential unit in.  Replacing the cooling unit was our best option.. I agree with the comment The Amish replacement cooling units are expensive but when you look at the blogs about refurbished units vs the Amish unit it was worth the cost to me.  My unit is a side by side and all the info I found said those units are not a good candidate for refurbish.  I paid $1300. which included $150. in freight.  I am fortunate my work background allowed me to do all the work myself.  If our camping habits were different I would consider the residential unit but I think  this was our best option.  As I said I am very happy with the way it works, it is a big improvement over the original unit.

Congrats on the repair. Certainly reasonable in cost. Have heard it is around $2K if you travel to Indiana and let them install the unit??

Happy 80th Herman?. Visited your profile.

If your refrigerator works on gas but it does not work on 110v AC then there is something wrong with your electrical power supply. First, check that you are getting the energy to your refrigerator. Check your circuit breakers/ fuses. If all seems well there then you will want to test the outlet your fridge is being plugged into. Using a multimeter is the best option, you are looking for a reading between 110 and 120 volts, but if a multimeter isn’t available then you can plug a fan, lamp, or another small device into the plug to test if the appliance is getting energy.