tireman9

Video For Car Drivers

I agree, have one in our Jeep Cherokee and one in the coach. Would not travel without one. I do need to check off and on to make sure it is recording and that I can review easily.

I have two. Just make sure they are continuous recording, that is they re-write over the sd card when it gets full.  Only video worth keeping is the last one recorded.

Here is a discussion from a few years back, dash cam information is in the discussion also.

I bought mine from this company (link below), it since has been replaced, but none the less it works great, we use it all the time for stuff like this and scenery. My wife will download photos of scenery and scrapbook them.

http://www.zetronix.com/dash-cameras.html

The camera is a great tool but so are loud horns when you see it about to unfold. I have these mounted up under the front of the coach between the step well and fog lights pointed forward, they are so loud the two Hadley air horns on the roof are non existent when I hit the other switch with these. I have little patience///!!! CORRECTION... I have NO patience for idiots.

HornBlasters_Chrome_Admiral_Train_Horn_HRNAH_C5__30991_1457446885_1280_1280.jpg

yes they are air horns. I have them mounted between the step well and the bumper facing forward. They will get your attention.

I just got a dash camera.  I don't know when it will be useful to me yet - but someday down the road there is a good chance it will be worth the cost.

I also wired up a switch on it.  I will  have it set to start recording when the vehicle is started, or in my case when power is supplied.  This way if I didn't want it to record because I was only moving the coach to hookup the trailer or if I wanted to just move it to a slightly different location that would not involve any traffic, then I wouldn't need it to come on.  On the other hand with a switch on it - I could walk to a rest area or a store and leave it still recording so if anyone tried something while I was away they might be on candid camera.  :D

Besides the value of having a dash camera which I purchased last year, there is another lesson here.  When I first entered the Army in 1969 everyone in our unit was required to take a series of classes on defensive driving.  The class highlighted some of the common driving mistakes and what a careful driver could do to avoid those with less skill or sense for driving a vehicle. 

The basics of the course were to be cautious about any interaction with another vehicle and it's driver.  Staying within the speed limit was an obvious one.  With greater speed comes greater stopping distance.  Driving a motor home this is extremely important as our stopping distances are already far greater than we're used to when driving our cars.  Stopping distance is the reason that we need to allow plenty of room between us and vehicles ahead of us.  In the video, there were several examples of a vehicle that suddenly is out of control.  Having a  safe following distance and a slower speed will allow more time for you to react and keep your vehicle clear. 

Watching any vehicle which is approaching you or which you are approaching with an eye for the skill and attention of the driver is another defensive habit.  This has become even more important with the distracted driver factor becoming a huge factor.  Drivers merging into traffic are sometimes very aggressive, changing multiple lanes while accelerating rapidly.  Other drivers move into traffic like a timid mouse.  Both present their own kind of hazard.  We encounter many vehicles traveling slowly as the driver talks on the phone.  The distance between your motor home and a slow moving vehicle in traffic can decrease rapidly. 

Staying alert while driving and watching out for the other drivers, expecting the unexpected, and ensuring that you have positive control of your own vehicle can help prevent a very bad day.  At each FMCA National Convention and at other RV gatherings, the Recreational Vehicle Safety Education Foundation (RVSEF) offers classes in safe driving for RV's.  If you haven't taken this course, I highly recommend it.  The course covers many aspects of safe RV operation in addition to driving.  There is a fee for the two day course and it will be money well spent. 

Besides the value of having a dash camera which I purchased last year, there is another lesson here.  When I first entered the Army in 1969 everyone in our unit was required to take a series of classes on defensive driving.  The class highlighted some of the common driving mistakes and what a careful driver could do to avoid those with less skill or sense for driving a vehicle. 

The basics of the course were to be cautious about any interaction with another vehicle and it's driver.  Staying within the speed limit was an obvious one.  With greater speed comes greater stopping distance.  Driving a motor home this is extremely important as our stopping distances are already far greater than we're used to when driving our cars.  Stopping distance is the reason that we need to allow plenty of room between us and vehicles ahead of us.  In the video, there were several examples of a vehicle that suddenly is out of control.  Having a  safe following distance and a slower speed will allow more time for you to react and keep your vehicle clear. 

Watching any vehicle which is approaching you or which you are approaching with an eye for the skill and attention of the driver is another defensive habit.  This has become even more important with the distracted driver factor becoming a huge factor.  Drivers merging into traffic are sometimes very aggressive, changing multiple lanes while accelerating rapidly.  Other drivers move into traffic like a timid mouse.  Both present their own kind of hazard.  We encounter many vehicles traveling slowly as the driver talks on the phone.  The distance between your motor home and a slow moving vehicle in traffic can decrease rapidly. 

Staying alert while driving and watching out for the other drivers, expecting the unexpected, and ensuring that you have positive control of your own vehicle can help prevent a very bad day.  At each FMCA National Convention and at other RV gatherings, the Recreational Vehicle Safety Education Foundation (RVSEF) offers classes in safe driving for RV's.  If you haven't taken this course, I highly recommend it.  The course covers many aspects of safe RV operation in addition to driving.  There is a fee for the two day course and it will be money well spent. 

I said it and I'll say it again... oh, I already did say it again.  Sorry guys.  I didn't get feedback that it had been submitted.  In fact, when I went to send this message the above was already reloaded so I almost did say it one more time!

34 minutes ago, TBUTLER said:

I said it and I'll say it again... oh, I already did say it again.  Sorry guys.  I didn't get feedback that it had been submitted.  In fact, when I went to send this message the above was already reloaded so I almost did say it one more time!

I was going to ask you if you were really trying to get the point across :lol:. With all of the problems going on with this website lately I'm not surprised.

5 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

Just like a teacher Tom, over and over and over again until we know it by rote.

Thanks for all the advice.

You'll be happy to know that I have already signed up for the safe driving class at the Expo in July.

I will have about 2000 miles in before the Expo, So I hope nothing happens before I get more training.