grumps1

Valve Extensions For Inner Dual WithTPMS Flow Through Sensors

Trying to get an answer on what valve extensions would work on inner tires for TPMS with flow through sensors. Had a TST TPMS installed but cannot get reading on inner tires. Need extensions that would work with flow through sensors. 

Many people have had good experiences with the braided extensions but in my case I got a bad set on install. The braid near the crimp leaked. Cost me a couple tires.

So, I used the Dually Valve Stems and they work wonderfully. Call them with your specifications and ask questions. They are well worth the investment.

Ok, that's a new one for me, the Dynasty used Alcoa wheels not the typical Monaco wheel made by Accuride. Learn something new everyday....

Whenever using hose extenders as Herman did, it is important to "bolt" down the outer end of the hose and to ensure the hose can't rub against the wheel or simulator sharp edge and that the hose end can't move around..

My set-up is similar to Herman's (pop rivet the small "L" bracket to the hub) When locating the hose mount, be sure to leave clearance for the install & removal of your TPMS sensor. Even "Flow Thru" need to be removed occasionally.

Also when attaching TPMS sensors and / or hoses or any valve or extender be sure to confirm no slow air leak with a shot of soapy water and closely monitor the tire pressures for the first couple of days with your TPMS. There should be no pressure loss.

Remember that when adding air or using a hand gauge, to support the hose or long valve stems with your other hand as the force of pressing an air chuck against the end of the hose or valve can weaken the hose/valve mount

I have a TPMS system i installed on my new coach and have the solid valve extended with the rubber fill to keep the inner one secure. I do notice the when I check my tire pressure with my gauge compared to the TPMS the reading are never the same. The TPMS always reads lower than my tire gauge, I keep 110 lbs in my tires as I have weighed my coach and referred to the Michelin pressure charts, which called for less than 100lbs. My TPMS will usually show a difference of about 5-7lbs less than my tire gauge.

Anyone else notice this or should I invest in a new tire gauge 

Mypopslou, yes, with my TST TPMS system the monitor is always 3 psi below what 3 other gauges I have indicate. The 3 other all read within 1/2 psi of each other.  I mentioned this to TST and it was stated that the monitor is more accurate. 

So, with that said, and you know what the readings are, just use it as a reference. If your monitor states 105 psi you then have approximately 110 psi in the tires. 

On 3/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, wayne77590 said:

Many people have had good experiences with the braided extensions but in my case I got a bad set on install. The braid near the crimp leaked. Cost me a couple tires.

So, I used the Dually Valve Stems and they work wonderfully. Call them with your specifications and ask questions. They are well worth the investment.

I used those also and they worked great. They come with a rubber stabilizer that fits into the hand hole and provides plenty of support for the weight of the sensors.

Joe,

Did you make a hole in the wheel cover for the inner valve, or is that a hole in the outer wheel?

That is the outer wheel. It has a 4" solid extension screwed onto the inner wheel valve. The rubber plug supports it and the TPMS sensor. 

Does the outer wheel use a straight extender? On my coach the outer wheel has a u curve extender. Did they mount the wheel wrong?

Typically the outer wheel valve stem points inward and the inner wheel points outward.  Using the Dually Valve I have a 135˚ or more valve for the outer and a straight for the inner.  Nice thing about it is there are no extensions. These are valves directly fitted to the wheel.

My outer wheel the stem points inward. I don't like it but when you spin them they look funny and often point towed the hub and are more difficult to access. By design this is so you can move the wheels in different positions without touching the stems. 

Im polishing them this week, I'll take a better photo then so you can see both. 

13 hours ago, rfsod48 said:

Does the outer wheel use a straight extender? On my coach the outer wheel has a u curve extender. Did they mount the wheel wrong?

p.s., the wheel usually comes with a short straight valve and a dual headed trucker's tire inflation head is necessary to fill it and a dual headed trucker's gauge to check pressure. The inner tire is usually the same and the two trucker's items are needed.  As Joe pointed out, easy to rotate the back tires.

RE hoses.  There are two types. "Airless" and pressurized.

As I understand the difference (haven't bought a set to cut up and examine)

Airless have a special long valve core that is essentially a pin that runs the length of the hose and actuates the valve core in the valve stem. This type may sometimes cause problems if theTPMS doesn't depress the rod/pin enough to open the valve core on the wheel end.

Pressurized have a regular valve core at the outer end that is actuated by the TPMS itself. This is the type I run.