Jump to content
dlfishing

Black Water Tank, Store Or Flow Through?

Recommended Posts

I have always stored black and gray water then dumped every few days when at a campground. I had read once that flow through on the black tank can leave solids in the tank. Storing the gray water is to flush out the lines

I am interested in others experience with this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe you are doing it the best way.  Indeed, you don't want flow through black water as it does lead to solids accumulating.  The only time I leave the grey water valve open is while the washing machine is in operation as that tends to use a lot of water.  As I'm getting closer to departure date, I do ensure that I get as full as I can in the grey water tank to ensure a good hose flush after flushing the black water tank. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely keep the black tank valve closed and let it get close to full before you dump. 

Otherwise you will get the dreaded poop pyramid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ClayL said:

Definitely keep the black tank valve closed and let it get close to full before you dump. 

Otherwise you will get the dreaded poop pyramid.

I do the same thing.  However, we have some friends with two electric toilets...that use lots of water.  They leave the black tank open and have not had a problem with all the water the electric toilets use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Store both until the black tank needs to be emptied.  Empty the black and then empty the grey to clean it all out.  If by chance you use a whole bunch of grey water you can dump the grey and not the black and close it down again.  When you are ready to dump black again you will have plenty of grey to flush the lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gray can also build scum if left open. Food particles, etc...etc. this is the reason the gray tanks can stink so bad.

I keep both closed and drain gray when full or save until it's time to drain the black.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah grasshoppers, I do one other step every so many dumps of the black.  I have DW fill the toilet basin to the rim and then flush, and I have her do it twice. I call it the "power" flush.  If you have a clear valve you can see the additional "brown that must go down." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we return to the home base, where I have a dump I will use the tank flush. I will use it several time then fill the tank and then drain it completely. Then for storage, which wont be very often this year, I will run several gallons of water into the tank and add a fufu packet to keep the odor down :o:wub:.   

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just never walk away when you are filling your tanks with a tank flusher for a good rinse.  The results can be disastrous if you forget.  Please don't ask how I know but I can assure you that once you screwed up once you will never forget again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow Bill!! we had a friend in a TT that will fill their black tank by blocking the foot pedal down on toilet. Trailers don't usually have a black tank flush, anyway Two years ago they did it and forgot while we were all camping together at Easter. Flooded their trailer :o. DW and I were looking out our window wondering what all of the commotion was , good times!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same "stuff" different day.  No matter how you do it you really will only do it once as it's something that gets ingrained in your head very, very quickly!  The clean up is lengthy and really no fun at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another reason to keep valves closed....we were at a site and had the grey water valve open as my son and his fiancé were visiting and it was shower time. I forgot to close the valve and a few hours later the motorhome was filled with a sewer stench.

I closed the valve and aired the moho out. Talking to the park staff (county park) he told me that the sewer hookups were installed without a proper venting system and the sewer smell was backing up to the highest point in the campground...my sewer hookup!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fred6185 said:

Another reason to keep valves closed....we were at a site and had the grey water valve open as my son and his fiancé were visiting and it was shower time. I forgot to close the valve and a few hours later the motorhome was filled with a sewer stench.

I closed the valve and aired the moho out. Talking to the park staff (county park) he told me that the sewer hookups were installed without a proper venting system and the sewer smell was backing up to the highest point in the campground...my sewer hookup!

Welcome to the forum Fred. One easy way to prevent the sewer gas from getitng in your coach is to make a "P" trap with your sewer hose. That way you can leave it open and not have the smell. 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, dlfishing said:

My BW tank has built in spray wash. I use it every time I dump until outflow is clear but that's all I do. No problems so far. 

I built a 3 valve manifold for the fresh water hose.  One goes into the black tank, one into the gray tank, and the final is to flush the hose.  I have a dedicated hose for this purpose.  When I finish dumping  the black tank I close the valve and fill it with fresh water for 3 minutes, I have an electronic timer solenoid valve. Then I dump it again, repeating if it is still not clear.  Same procedure for the gray tank.  The last thing I do is to flush the sewer hose with fresh water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I built a 3 valve manifold for the fresh water hose.  One goes into the black tank, one into the gray tank, and the final is to flush the hose.  I have a dedicated hose for this purpose.  When I finish dumping  the black tank I close the valve and fill it with fresh water for 3 minutes, I have an electronic timer solenoid valve. Then I dump it again, repeating if it is still not clear.  Same procedure for the gray tank.  The last thing I do is to flush the sewer hose with fresh water.

I do basically the same thing but without the 3 way manifold. Before the final 3 minute fill and dump I have DW do the Power Flush as described above. We have never had a sewer smell in the MH. (Unless I'm using the BR)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Herman,

I spent two years on the USS Eldorado (AGC-11) Marine Communications Detachment, Ships Company and I can say unequivocally yours (sailors) does smell.

Don't ever say yours doesn't.:P

Carl, payback is the Devil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...