brocki

Disconnecting Microphone On Backup System

Our motor home is a 2007 Tiffin Phaeton with a Sony backup camera system.

For the last year, when I have the backup camera and microphone turned on, the mic. relays incredible static as well as the ambient sound (usually the engine) so that you can't stand it.  Yes, I have tried to turn it down on the dash but to no avail.  When the screen comes " to life" with the side cameras during turn signal use, no noise is present.  Thus I am pretty sure it is either the mic itself, or the volume control on the dash unit.  We don't use the microphone at any time so I just want to disconnect it.  Would it be easier to try it at the camera area at the rear of the motor home or at the dash unit?  We tow a pickup with a motorcycle in  the back of the truck and like to be able to see it.

I know that mine has a volume control on the dash monitor and turning that all the way down gets rid of the outside sounds.  Maybe a call/e-mail to Sony tech support would get you the information necessary to turn the sound all the way down from the monitor.

Where there is sound and a volume control there is a speaker. Disconnect the speaker wire. Requires a little electronics knowledge.

Bill     The volume is not eliminating the noise as in the past so either it or the microphone is failing.  As we don't use the audio,  I really don't care.

Wayne77590     I think that is the tactic I will take.  It looks like I can remove that whole dash panel with just a few screws and get to the back of the dash unit and hopefully the speaker.

Thanks guys.

It also could be wired to one of the radio or TV speakers!  On mine there is a separate on/off switch...it's been in off for 3 almost 4 years now!

The OEM Sony BU system in our MH only had the one coax from the camera to monitor. When the monitor died I switched to a Voyager wireless system as the Sony system was obsolete, no new parts available.

Well a little late but...........

I did take the panel off and the unit is pretty much a sealed unit.  HOWEVER I disconnected the three input cable at their plugs, (the 2 side cameras and the backup one), plugged them all back in and the noise disappeared.  Woila!  The interference was in the plug.  All better now.

7 minutes ago, wayne77590 said:

....until you hit the next pothole!

Ohhhhh ye of little faith.  We have traveled for 2 weeks now and no recurrence.

I have a volume control 2 and on one trip this spring it got turned up. I couldn't figure out where the strange noise was coming from at first.:lol:

Bill

Mine also is volume controlled.  Before Linda, I had no use for it, so it was off...she was in back last week telling me by hand, where to go and I turned the speakers on and told her, " I can't see you"!  Her reaction was priceless :lol: and then I got the "LOOK"! :blink: