dwightbinge

Towing 2017 Subaru Impreza

Just purchased manual transmission with push button start.  Not sure how to disengage the steering wheel lock to be able to tow.  Directions say disengagement will last for an hour, then it will turn off.  Doesn't do much good if want to tow for for a long distance.  Any ideas?

Dwight,

Welcome to the Forum.  I looked for the 2017 Subaru in the FMCA 2017 Towing Guide and Subaru is not listed.  Please take a look at the Forum thread here:

Lengthy discussion, and perhaps not good news if you want to tow four down with your new car.

Blake

We used to tow an older model manual transmission Subaru Forester but I understand from Subaru now that they have said they no longer advise towing a Forester wheels down.  You may have to get tow trailer.  You might be able to tow it with a dolly because the front wheels will be off the ground.  The problem with the steering wheel lock would be a moot point.

Since all Subarus sold in the U.S. are 4 wheel drive, I would be quite surprised if they could be towed using a dolly, leaving two driven wheels on the ground and two up.  VERIFY with Subaru.

Our friends in Oregon, my brother and my wife and I all bought 2017 Subaru Forester with the manual transmission for our tow cars. We have all used manual Forester in the past.

No problems for the last ten years. Currently, no Subaru's are listed for any tow car applications anywhere, but we are certain that there won't be any issues. With no official mention in the owners manual regarding flat towing, and no change in design from 2016 (you could flat tow the 2016 Foresters) to the 2017 model, we feel very comfortable. Manual's get less MPG, so from a "Manufactures Perspective",  we all think that is where the issue really lie's. One of the safest cars on the road and one of the safest cars to be in. Look for the black Subaru's being towed by the black/graphic Newmar coaches! (There are actually four Subaru's living the dream)! As long as you turn the key off, but DON"T remove it, the steering wheel stays unlocked.

Debbie100,

Glad you haven't had problems and hope the OP is able to resolve towing 4 down.  But, the OP doesn't have a key.....the Impreza he purchased has a keyless ignition and he states that the owner's manual says the steering wheel will only stay unlocked for an hour.

Blake

The 2017 Subaru Impreza apparently totally new design (according to ConsumersReports).  At the Escapees Escapade Rally last month in Tucson, I was at a Blue Ox towing seminar. I asked the presenter specifically about the 2017 Subaru Impreza with a manual transmission. He recommended I NOT buy a Subaru. I didn't press him for details but, it was obvious that he's seen problems with Subaru toads.

As a general rule of thumb, I would only tow a vehicle if the owners manual that came with that vehicle had a section on Recreational Towing, that gave specific instructions for towing that make and model of vehicle. You could try to contact the maker if there was nothing in the owners manual about it, but I think that if it's not mentioned, then you can't do so safely.