MDKOZ

Generator Runs But No Output

I have just arrived from Australia and have bought a1999 model Fleetwood Storm 30ft. It has a Onan Marquis 5500 generator, it starts up but doesn't have any out put. I have check the fuse at the generator. Is there an isolator switch or more fuses?

Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks Keith

Welcome to the forum. Did it work before? First thing I would check is the auto transfer switch. Can you get power to the coach when plugged in? 

Bill

Welcome to the forum Keith.

Do you have a volt meter that you can check for output at the generator? If you are accustomed to checking with one, that is the first place to check, if you are not comfortable working with, please have someone that is. If there is voltage there, the next place to check is the automatic transfer switch, if there is one. most coaches your model have one unless someone has changed to some type of manual. Also most 5500's have two breakers attached to the generator, one 25 amp, other a 30 amp, make sure they are on and not tripped, if tripped, push to the off position to reset then back to the on position.

Bill I think that was typing same time that you was, not to :wub:repetitive.

Agree-- first place to check is to turn OFF and back ON the two on-generator breakers (not fuses, but breakers). 

My last 1999 Class A Gas rig didn't have a transfer switch,  you just plugged you shore power cord in to a dedicated receptacle that was the generator output.

Jim

Hi All

Thanks for the replies, when I am on shore power everything works fine but when I start the gen I get nothing, haven't tried turning the breakers off and back on yet, will try in the morning, don't think the neighbors would like me starting the gen at this time of night, I do have a meter but not to keen on playing with 240 volts sorry I mean 110volts I have to remember I am in the US.

As for the automatic transfer switch where would I find that.

Thanks again Keith

Keith,

If the on-generator breakers are good, next place to check is the generator to coach wire connections. 

Yes, next after that is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). They are generally located near where the shore power comes into the coach, as they are the "junction box" for shore power and generator IN and then the OUT to the coach main 120 breaker box.

With all shore power disconnected, generator off and inverter off if you have one: remove the lid from the ATS.  Check carefully for burned wires/loose connections.

As ABYRD said older coaches didn't always have transfer switches look in the compartment where the cord is stored for a Square box with a receptacle that matches your cord and plug the cord into it when you are off shore power