keigm

Chassis Rust

I recently purchased a 2014 Newmar Mountain Aire.  It was in Florida at one of the large dealerships and we brought it back to New Mexico.  I tried to find out what maintenance had been done which they said everything but as I am finding out it was only oil/filter changes to the engine and generator.  I wanted to make sure proper/known maintenance has been done so am doing it and logging into a chassis and coach logbook form myself and the next owner if and when I trade it off.   

I just took it to a reputable RV Mechanic here in Albuquerque to change out the Air Dryer Filter and since he has a pit we could drive over and see the underside we discovered this rust.  I am just curious as to how bad this is and what kind of problems I can expect in the future.  

Thanks for your help.

Keigm

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0817.JPG

Certainly not ideal, but most of that is superficial. On the few areas where there is significant pitting, may be worthwhile to treat and paint.  Some labor, but not much $$.

Just a FYI.  Home Depot has Rust Reformer Automotive, same stuff but the can has all angle spray tip. Easier to use underneath.

On 4/4/2017 at 2:56 PM, Keigm said:

Thanks for the help!

Keigm

The up side, where you are it should slow the rust/ coroshion ishues. I would do as recomended and start cleaning/wierbrushing areas and treating them you can pase your self and do the worst first.;)

Bill

This looks like about 3 years at or near the gulf, my brother has a place 50 yards off the water near Panama City, and this is typical there. I recommend a very thorough wash job underneath using a pressure washer before starting the above treatments. They are all good suggestions, but the salt is still there if not washed with plenty H2O. And of course not just the areas where you already see the corrosion, but a thorough cleaning all over. That salt in the air will also cause the clear coat to give up at an earlier age if not cleaned well. Good luck with your acquisition, and with proper maintenance up front it should and will last many years.