FMCANationalOffice

All-New 2017 Jeep Compass Is Not Flat Towable

In March 2017, the “All-New 2017 Jeep Compass” began appearing at dealerships.

For those who are searching for a vehicle to flat tow behind a motorhome, an important distinction must be made between the “All-New 2017 Jeep Compass” and the “2017 Jeep Compass.”

The “2017 Jeep Compass” (when equipped with manual transmission) can be towed four wheels down. It is included in “The 2017 Towing Lineup” (January 2017, page 46), Family Motor Coaching magazine’s annual list of vehicles that can be flat towed behind a motorhome without significant modifications. The 2017 Jeep Compass owners manual spells out the procedure for flat towing behind a motorhome. Production of that vehicle ceased in December 2016, according to a spokesman for Fiat Chrysler Automobiles U.S.

The “All-New 2017 Jeep Compass” is an entirely new vehicle from the ground up. The new vehicle’s owners manual specifies that the vehicle is NOT flat towable.

Always consult the most up-to-date version of a vehicle’s owners manual to determine whether the vehicle can be flat towed.

Too bad. The "All New" Compass is a very nice vehicle, just saw one at my dealer(an automatic). Based on the 2017 Towables Guide I had asked the Jeep dealer to call me when they had a manual transmission version come in.  

They had told me last month that they still did not have the final word from the factory about its towability.

Guess it's back to either the Wrangler or the Cherokee. Still not too keen on the Cherokee steering fix though.....

I just traded my 2014 Jeep wrangler for a 2017 Grand Cherokee and am waiting for the new base plate to arrive from e-trailer, of course I could not be lucky enough to have the same base plate. Anyway I really am enjoying my new Grand Cherokee. I hated to part with my Wrangler as it was a great Vehicle the only problem was storage and getting grandkids in and out of back seat with car seats. Grand Cherokee weighs about 1000lbs more but still within my DP capabilities. 

If I read the instructions correctly with the new base plate I do not need the bar across, do anyone know if that is correct? 

I investigated this last year when DW bought a new Grand Cherokee, I think the maximum base-plate-not using the spreader bar, is 5,000#, can't remember at my age_.

Opinions don't count, like wildebill said- call Roadmaster!

Thank you all for your help, had the tow bar installed last night and I absolutely need the bar across the front as it is when the Falcon2 tow bar connects. Don't know what I was thinking, I was confused because when I ordered the new tow bar from e-Trailer they had a picture of a base plate without the bar. The tow bar connected directly to the base plate arms. I am not sure I would be comfortable with that set up and definitely feel more secure with the bar.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Now if I could only figure out how to change my tagline from the 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport to 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited. Tried to contact FMCA to see what I was doing wrong but have had no response

Try this. 

This is using Chrome. Go to your account, click on settings, then settings area, there you will find the box to enter your Signature content. Save it when you are done.
Internet explorer looks different but it is basically the same. In settings find the “Signature” and add it there is a place to select View signatures I believe the default is on.

When using Internet Explorer.
In the top right hand of the page click on your name and you will get a dropdown list. Click on account settings. Under the heading “OVERVIEW” click on signature. This will open a place to enter what you want in your signature.
Bill

Lou and Bill,

Please see my post on Managing Your Forum Signature in the Forum Support Section:

I will be adding screenshots to this post to account for any varying appearances in different browsers.

Update: The account settings layout appears to be the same as my screenshots in Firefox, Chrome and Microsoft Edge (formerly Microsoft Internet Explorer). If you have any trouble managing your forum signature or if there is a discrepancy in the layout, please let me know by posting in the Managing Your Forum Signature topic I have linked above.

Wildbill308 & Christopherl, thank you very much for the advice, I made the changes and we will see when I post this response if it worked.

I also want to add that I towed my 2017 Grand Cherokee for the first time and it was so much easier than my Wrangler. My new base plate is the twist on to lock inserts which is very easy and switching the transfer case to neutral is also much easier, literally a touch of a button. I did not feel any difference even though the Grand Cherokee is about a 1000 lbs more than the Wrangler.

I will miss my Wrangler but am very happy with my Grand Cherokee

Did they give any reason why it can't be flat towed? That means that Jeep has no small SUV that can be flat towed now. And I was just about to plunk down a deposit for one. The Cherokee is too much SUV for me.

Oh well, guess I'll just keep towing me Focus, then.

The 2017 Jeep Compass with manual tranny, Patriot, Wrangler along with the Cherokees are flat towable according to the FMCA Towable Guide.

The 2017 Wrangler and Cherokee are both flat towable.