chuckconnie

Shock Absorbers

Chuckconnie,

Please tell us what chassis you have and what you are trying to improve-- handling? ride?

How many miles on the chassis?

OK, I looked up your coach to find out what chassis you have, since shocks are really chassis-specific (the coach is Allegro, not the chassis).

You are on a Ford F53 chassis-- probably 2010 or 2011.

So, comments by others on that chassis would be relevant.

I could post what shocks I have found best on our 38' diesel pusher (Alpine on Peak chassis), but it would have little to no relevance to YOUR chassis.

Like Brett says, comments make little difference unless you own that chassis... BUT when I replaced the totally undersized and totally destroyed Monroe shocks on my magnum chassis with a set of Bilsteins, there was a tremendous (positive) difference...  If your shocks are gone, I suspect fresh shocks of either brand would benefit you greatly- sure did in my case.

Ditto....agree with Brett. The only thing I can add is Bilstein is factory equipment on some F53's now. But is it a proprietary shock from the factory and is the one you purchase now designed differently internally? You will need someone that has a F53 to chime in with real world experience in detail. Also what are your expected gains? Depending on that alone it might not be a shock concern you are trying to correct or alter and by replacing them could create another issue.

My 2015 Thor Hurricane 34E gas MH came with Bilsteins, but I have wondered if even with 13K on them if new one's

would be helpful to the ride?

Phil Saran

Colorado

I own a 2007 Allegro Open Road 34TGA with the W22 Workhorse chassis.  I replaced the factory Bilsteins with Koni's.  I spent close to $900 in parts and labor.  There was only minor improvement in ride characteristics.  Not enough improvement to warrant the expense.  All four corners of coach weighed.  No problems with being over weight or significantly out of balance.  All tire pressures adjusted to weights.

Edited by OnTheRoad4Fun
someone asked about rv weight

Ride also has a lot to do with proper air pressure in tires, weight balance in coach, not being over weight...have you had your coach weighed with all the things you take on a trip?

3 hours ago, TBUTLER said:

We're still running with the factory original Bilsteins.  That is 165,000 miles.

Same here, 83,000 miles on ours!

I don't think you can compare shocks on a DP to a gasser...we also have air bags to help with dampening!

Don't know if it's too late to help the OP, but a popular combinations of shocks for the F53 had been:

-Front/Steers - Koni FSD

-Rear/Drive - Koni Adjustable SP3 (Third generation of Adjustables.). And depending upon the chassis weight classification, starting on say setting 1 or 2 on the 18K, setting 2 or 3 on the 20-22K, and on the 24-26K chassis, setting 3 - 4 (Though I've talked with a few on the 26K chassis who started on setting 2, and felt that was fine...).

And if all of your Bilstien's are in good shape, and just trying to soften the jarring of the front end over expansion joints and pot holes - they leave the Bistien's on the Rear/Drive, and try a pair of FSD's on the Steers. 

And note I did say 'had been' - because for sure things change in this world. And I stopped staying up on the F53's when we bought our DP. My Bounder T28 had the 1999 18K Chassis (In a 98 Model Bounder -- no F53 in 98.). I did add Koni Adjustable SP1 all the way around, when we first bought the used coach. Classically, 5-6 months later Koni came out with the FSD's. After a jarring/dash rattling 10K trip, I bought a pair for he FSD's for the Front/Steers. And noted about a 33% improvement in ride comfort, with no lost in handling. Now, the Koni Adjustable SP3 are two newer generations removed from the SP1, and as I understand it a bit more robust, while at the same time valve for improvement in ride. I believe the FSD's will still yield a better front end experience over the SP3's, but probably not as noticeable as compared to the SP1 generation. 

And all that being said, I do believe Bilstien's has also made newer generation shocks, with reports of revision in valving values that improve ride comfort - while maintaining the never complained about Bilstien shocks performance. 

So a few options available. One suggestion is to check in with other's that have your same coach model, and see what results they have had pro/con with these non OEM shocks. 

Best of luck to you,

Smitty

165,000 miles....do you think you got your money's worth? 

As for replacement, both Koni and Billstein shocks have been out there a long time.

I would definitely go with whatever worked for you in past or the vehicle recommendations....if you could go another 150,000 miles, what's wrong with that? 

17 hours ago, rlbarkleyii said:

Anyone put Bilstiens on Winny Journey 32" ?  Whats generally the cost of set of Bilstiens for a DP?

This place may be a good place to find what you are looking for. At least get part numbers and price so you can shop around.

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?mode=make&type=M&gclid=Cj0KEQjwwLHLBRDEq9DQxK2I_p8BEiQA3UDVDkOUYbwUDyLQ8S-sn0zNB06n1MH61mr3tkTeAxd_8N0aAuGz8P8HAQ

Bill

Ralph, once you determine the part number do an internet search for pricing. I bought the last set of Bilstein shocks for a motorhome from Summit Racing.

6 minutes ago, CAPKELLY said:

So how do you know if you need new shocks. 2007 monaco knight dp 40 foot. 63000 miles.

Two ways:

Check shocks physically.  If they are leaking oil (not just damp, but leaking) they are bad.  If the bushings are shot/have play, they are shot.

And, test them for proper dampening.  Drive over shopping center speed bump as regular/low speed.  If an axle bounces more than 1.5 times, the shocks are bad.

Good morning, we have a 2005 Discovery on a Freightliner XC chassis. I want to replace the front shocks so I gave the last 6 digits of the VIN to our local Freightliner dealer and was given the  original part number 1618075000

for the shocks. $113.00 ea at Freightliner so I found a matching Gabriel number 83174 for $67.00 ea. Problem is nobody sells the Gabriels. Frustriating.!

On 7/20/2017 at 3:40 PM, jerrycarp said:

I would Check BBB on Shockware house. Summit is a good Choice.

I had excellent service from Shock Warehouse. They also had the best pricing for my needs.