Sign in to follow this  
mikerodg

Upgrading Rear Camera & Monitor

I have an 03 Phaeton with a black and white camera. It's very hard to see much of anything due to the lens type.

Has anyone upgraded theirs to a color camera? Is wireless a good option?

Do I need additional wiring for a direct wire system? I'd prefer to install it where the existing system is.

Thanks,
Mike

I did this 6 weeks ago while we were in Arizona, very easy. It was all plug and play. The people at RVCAMS were great to work with. Give them your info and they can supply you with new monitor and camera. 

Roland

I did the same thing using RV CAMS as well.  I gave them the name and type of system that I have now (had, as it hasn't worked in years) and they matched me up with a Voyager 7" color camera and monitor.  They send along compelete instructions on how to do the installation and I was up and running in only a few hours.

I posted some information about my changeover here.

I hope it works, I called RV Cams and they knew just what I had and was talking about. I have a 2003 Western Alpine class A with a RCS70 back up camera that just went out. They have a RCS70 monitor and camera replacement kit that uses existing cable. It costs $563, I'll report back when it arrives on how easy it is to install. 

If you have any issues or questions, do not hesitate to call RV Cams and ask.  I had to do that when I had the system wired up but I was not getting a good picture.  I explained what I wired to what and they told me where I had made a mistake.  I moved one wire and had a perfect picture.  I have had this system in place (wired with the original wiring from 1988) for more than a year and it's still perfect.

I just replaced the factory backup camera system on my 2003 Monaco Knight. Tim at rvcams.com provided a Voyager camera and monitor kit that was easy to install using the original wires and mounting hardware. I recommend him highly. 

Dale,

Welcome to the Forum. Nice to hear you are pleased with your new backup camera. Is it color?

Don't be stranger.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins