gelsw

Warning-Watch Out For This Guy

Pulling into a truck stop and there was a pickup stopped on the right and slightly blocking the entrance. Turned to the left to go around him since that is where I wanted to go anyway. He cut right in front of me as I was turning away from him. I continued turning and looked into my mirror in time to see him stop next to me and as I scraped two of the basement doors on his bumper. There was no reason for him to stop, no traffic or whatever. He jumped out calling me every name in the book, etc., etc. and how I ruined his new truck, he pointed out a half inch scratch on the corner of his bumper. No concern over the 6 foot dent in my doors. He ranted and raved until I said I was not listening to him any more and calling the police. He then took off in his pickup. Of course I didn't think at the time to get his license number.

Later I realized it was probably a scam, they way he cut in front of me then stopped, ranting at me for ruining his vehicle and probably going to demand cash until I wanted to call the police.....

This was the first of two accidents on this trip and we are not home yet.

Arrrggg,

Gary

Sorry to hear such a disdainful story Gary, hope the rest of the trip is much better. You are probably right, a scam artist waiting for the right sucker to come along.

Whew, I thought it was a warning about me!:o

I am sure you are correct that is was a scam designed to prey on us old folks.  Just FYI, anytime you are involved in any kind of an incident the first thing to do is get out and take pic's or videos of the entire scene.  Pic's of the driver, the vehicles, the positions of the vehicles, the license plates, everything.  I know that is pretty counter intuitive as you want to get out and see what's going on but, unless you are pretty sure you screwed up, documentation at the time of the event can be worth its weight in gold.  I was rear ended in Houston during a rain storm.  Took pictures of everything including the documents, the driver, the cars, everything.  The insurance company tried to dispute the facts as Houston police would not respond to a non-injury accident and I did not have a police report.  Once I send all the pics they paid my costs.

Good advice but since it has been about 40 years since I was in the only accident/fender bender I have ever been in what I should have done didn't come to mind until to late. It is amazing how fast things happened even though I was only crawling along having just turned off the highway.

Wait until you get a "Brake Check!"

Brake Check - cars pull in front of you then slam on their brakes.  The especially do it to 18 wheelers but a few MH's have had it done to them also.

ShortBus.  Another reason to invest in a dash camera...you can also get them for the side and back, integrated to you current camera...14 hour loop!

Carl

On 4/5/2017 at 3:36 PM, ShortBus said:

Pulling into a truck stop and there was a pickup stopped on the right and slightly blocking the entrance. Turned to the left to go around him since that is where I wanted to go anyway. He cut right in front of me as I was turning away from him. I continued turning and looked into my mirror in time to see him stop next to me and as I scraped two of the basement doors on his bumper. There was no reason for him to stop, no traffic or whatever. He jumped out calling me every name in the book, etc., etc. and how I ruined his new truck, he pointed out a half inch scratch on the corner of his bumper. No concern over the 6 foot dent in my doors. He ranted and raved until I said I was not listening to him any more and calling the police. He then took off in his pickup. Of course I didn't think at the time to get his license number.

Later I realized it was probably a scam, they way he cut in front of me then stopped, ranting at me for ruining his vehicle and probably going to demand cash until I wanted to call the police.....

This was the first of two accidents on this trip and we are not home yet.

Arrrggg,

Gary

Similar to the scam of slammiing on the brakes in front of you ... but the coach is too big for them to risk that one. Sorry about that.