debbie100

Residential Refrigerator Compressor Noise

We are thinking about replacing our 2-way refrigerator with a new "residential" model in our four year old Newmar. My only experience was with a 12 volt compressor  model many years ago. You could always hear it at night. I'm comfortable with installing a dedicated battery bank and inverter, we do a lot of  dry camping, but was just wondering if there would be any noise issues? We live in a log home with a open floor plan, and sometimes we can "hear" the refrigerator upstairs at night. Just wondering? Thanks.

Ron & Debbie

If you go to a residential fridge make sure it has warranty in a motorhome.  I installed one and the compressor locked up in 8 months and they told me there was no warranty because it was installed in an RV.

I have a Samsung 19 cubic foot French door style in my motorhome, this the fourth year with no issues yet. We chose this one because of the very low amperage draw, 4 amps max at startup. I can't hear it running right next to it, although it is on a granite floor. The Samsung can be run on a modified sine wave inverter, but I bet your four year old Newmar has a pure sine wave inverter, and probably will be plenty large enough without adding a dedicated inverter, especially if you shop carefully and be mindful about the amperage draw, you will find this info inside the fridge door. Another thing to look for is inverter technology on the residential fridge, more of them are coming available all the time, this technology is the quietest and most energy efficient on the market today. The sweet thing about inverter technology is the compressor continually runs after the initial startup, which is the most energy consumption, after startup, the compressors simply slow down to a very slow speed after the fridge reaches the desired temperature, which contributes to less noise and less energy consumption.

I have the same Samsung,  love it, the best upgrade that we have made.

I have Magnum charger/inverter, just completed the installation of the battery monitor.

Jim

My coach came with a Whirlpool Gold 23 cu. ft. S/S and draws 6.5 at start up...7 years old, and no noise! :) 

No noise and my GE Profile side-by-side (ice and water through the door) is barely audible.  It does make some sound but I would not consider it to be much louder than a purr.  While the above poster mentions the startup amps, the fridge draws less than 3 amps while running and that's not too often unless you are in and out a lot.

If your fridge draws 3 or 4 amps remember that is at 120 volts.  If you are inverting from 12 volts that could be10 times that current draw on the batteries depending on the inverter.

DD69.  In my coach, I have 2 Magnum 2800 inverters.  one for 120v and one for 12v.  I have yet to turn off fridge, even when in garage.

Carl

Carl,

I suspect the two Magnum 2800's are electrically the same:  Invert to change 12 VDC from batteries to 120 VAC when not on generator or shore power. And, when on shore power or generator to do two things: "pass through" the 120 VAC to all circuits wired to them AND charge the battery bank.  Yes, I guess they could have disabled the charge function in one of them.

Let us know if yours are different.

Wouldn't there be a conflict if both inverters tried to charge the same batteries at the same time. :unsure: However in Carl's coach he has two banks of 4 AMG batteries and it appears that they are charged by the two inverters separately. That makes since to me. I don't know how the two are separated in the system. Maybe one is dedicated to the residential refrigerator. He has to keep his beer cold.:P

Herman

Since 12 volt side is direct current, it would ok to have both of them to charge the battery bank at the same time. And with smart technology, both will be sensing to prevent an overcharge situation. What will not work is for both inverters to supply the same AC circuit at the same time, that would in almost any case cause the inverters to trip because of the inability to be in perfect phase with each other.:lol:

1 hour ago, kaypsmith said:

Since 12 volt side is direct current, it would ok to have both of them to charge the battery bank at the same time. And with smart technology, both will be sensing to prevent an overcharge situation. What will not work is for both inverters to supply the same AC circuit at the same time, that would in almost any case cause the inverters to trip because of the inability to be in perfect phase with each other.:lol:

There are ways to stack inverters to double the output.

Yes, there are ways to parallel, or stack by using a parallel harness. These devices are designed to electronically set the phase between the two or more inverters so that they are perfectly in sync. And in most cases the inverters must be of the same size and manufacturer. Honda inverter generators are famous for this as they were first to use this technology.

15 hours ago, manholt said:

BillA.  Did your GE come with your coach? 

It came with it when I bought it but the original '88 Country Coach Prevost had a regular RV fridge.  The coach was completely remodeled and updated in '94 including a household fridge.  For some reason in '99 the owner had this fridge installed just before he sold the coach.  It had never even been used and has worked perfectly ever since.  We ran a modified sine wave inverter for many years and installed a pure sine wave inverter a few years back,

27 minutes ago, BillAdams said:

For some reason in '99 the owner had this fridge installed just before he sold the coach

WOW, that has stood the test of time. The last one in the house didn't last that long!

I have a 10 year old GE in house, along with a commercial see thru by Zero.  2007 and 09 must have been stellar years...nothing lasts that long on a barrier island.  Pre 2006, I was invested in several restaurants in Galveston and our fridges would last an average of 5 years.

I call my fridge inverter, bank #2, when driving it will run the fridge.  Nothing else!  Since it gets to hot in summer in Tx.  I run generator for AC and everything else. 

As Carl noted, the way American Coach built their coaches, was to have two entirely separate systems.  One inverter/charger dedicated to the residential refer, the other inverter/charger for everything else in the coach.  The previous owner of my coach opted for the same eight 6 volt house batteries but only one  inverter/charger.

On 4/10/2017 at 5:47 PM, manholt said:

FIVE.  Have you had any issues, since the lost ground, last year?

Carl

Spent a month in Biloxi in Jan with no problems at all.  However, I have had the AC Overload light come on the Magnum remote a couple of times recently....which is what started the process of tracking down the lost ground.  What doesn't compute is that light comes on when it is sitting in storage with no AC items on except the charger.  It stays on very briefly, then goes back to Float charge and acts normally.  Always something!