jbrunson

Vibration 59 - 61 mph

I realize that I am peeling an onion....

beginning was BAD vibration 50 mph plus... noise and vibration worst in vicinity of rear axle.

proper tire inflation = big improvment

centramatic balancers = another huge improvement

new shocks = no improvement in ride but much better driving manners

balance driveshaft at local Volvo truck shop (guy said it was bad out) = almost all gone except mild vibration 59 to 61

63 to 70 = silky smooth ride....0 to 59 is like glass...

Calling all experts.... what should I check next???  ideas?

thanks

oh yeah.... brake pedal changes nothing...  vibration occurs accelerating or coasting/ decelerating...  it is 90% gone,  but if possible i would like to get it all

May not be your problem but I had a vibration problem that was due to four rims out of round which caused the tires to be damaged. Replaced rims and tires under new vehicle warranty. The Ford dealer (large truck dealer) that found this problem by force balancing tires and rims. Went to two other repair facilities before the Ford dealer who could not find the problem. Good luck.

I had a vibration 58-62 mph and couldn't find the problem.  Had centrimatics and changed tires, still vibrated.  I then swapped the inner duals side to side (Alcoa wheels) and no more vibration.

2 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

I had a vibration 58-62 mph and couldn't find the problem.  Had centrimatics and changed tires, still vibrated.  I then swapped the inner duals side to side (Alcoa wheels) and no more vibration.

So, do you suspect some out of round/runout in the tire/wheel that repositioning corrected?

Not familiar with your coach, but if it has air bags, then I would check the ride height, especially the rear as this could affect the angle of the U joint and cause a vibration.

4 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

So, do you suspect some out of round/runout in the tire/wheel that repositioning corrected?

I think it was the matching of the wheels because I had I think 3 sets of tires and it wasn't until I switched the inner wheels the problem was corrected. I have moved the Alcoas to my new to me coach and they still are smooth.

Brett,

how many thousandths out of round would be un acceptable? guess I need to drag out my dial guage....

Incidentally, I just came into possession of a FLIR camera, I plan on doing the turbo bearing cooling study we spoke of in Columbus, Ga.

john

I like front tires/wheels within .035".  Rears within .050".  Said another way (the way a tire dealer would address it: less than that amount of RUN-OUT).

On 4/13/2017 at 10:04 AM, jbrunson said:

Brett,

how many thousandths out of round would be un acceptable? guess I need to drag out my dial guage....

Incidentally, I just came into possession of a FLIR camera, I plan on doing the turbo bearing cooling study we spoke of in Columbus, Ga.

john

If you can find a dealer that can do "Forced Balancing" they can also check run out at the same time. The Wing Foot tire shop at a truck stop did not find my problem they just did the standard balance and said everything was fine. I had to drive another 90 miles to a Ford dealer that took care of large trucks. They are the ones that used the forced balance and found the out of round and run out problems with the rims and tires. If needed I can call and find out more about the machine manufacturer who could tell you who in your area that has the proper equipment. My tires/rims looked like eggs being balanced.

I am new to this forum and motorhoming but will share my newbie experience. I bought used motorhome with 6 year old tires. The front end/steering wheel had wobble at 60 and up. Slower was fine. Took it back to dealer. They sent it to truck store. Truck store said balance was fine. They "trued the tires" and it is glass smooth even with older tires. I then felt the slight vib from rear end. I have since replaced all the tires. The same thing is back. I will take new tires to same store and have them true all tires. I guess my wheels may have a slight out of round that translates to tires...

2004 Winniebago Adventurer, 80,000 miles. I will work on my sig :-)

I got my tires trued at Butler Tire, Truck Division, Marietta, Ga. I looked at my paper work. They did do a balance also on those front tires/wheels.

I hope to get motorhome weighed soon so I can run the correct pressure in these tires. I have read this is a good thing to do.

On 4/18/2017 at 9:31 PM, JDFrasier said:

I got my tires trued at Butler Tire, Truck Division, Marietta, Ga. I looked at my paper work. They did do a balance also on those front tires/wheels.

I hope to get motorhome weighed soon so I can run the correct pressure in these tires. I have read this is a good thing to do.

Some of the cheapest improvements to your ride you will make.

I agree, correcting an "egg shaped" tire certainly improves ride quality.

But, truing tires is becoming a lost ART.  Said another way, it is not a job for a guy with one hour's training!

When talking about the cheapest ride improvement, I was referring to proper inflation...  I am currently fighting steering problems and coolant tank cracks...  truck shop smiles every time I walk in. $$$$$$$$

The folks at Power steering associates had my steering box rebuilt in two hours... the paint dried in the back of the pickup on the way home... Adjusting the cut is really important; Sheppard has youtube videos on the whole process...

during testing, the plastic radiator tank sprang a massive leak ~ we ordered a metal replacment from Beaver Coach Services in Bend, Or.... Hope to get Coach back with new steer box, radiator tank, and all new silicon water hoses on Wednesday.

for future search engines:

1996 Beaver Monterey 36'

Power steering gear :              Sheppard M 80  PAW1  search youtube for videos on repair

Radiator surge tank: Ford part number    F6HZ- 8A080 B   Beaver coach sales sells a metal replacment