palmettorambler

Carlsbad Caverns to Albuquerque

Question

Traveling in Tiffin Class A 36 footer and towing. Would like to know feasibility of traveling from Artesia over to Alamogordo on US 82, then N. on US 70 before turning W on US 380 to Socorro before turning North on I-25.

Thanks.

9 answers to this question

Seems like the long way to me.  I prefer north on 285 north through Roswell and continue on to I40 and then west to Albuquerque.  Not much for hills and pretty straight.

Lenp

US 82 from Artesia to Alamogordo is a good 2 lane highway.  We spend every June at Mayhill, NM coming up from Texas through Carlsbad. Then we go on to Alamogordo and head north through Albuquerque or Santa Fe ( just depends on where we are headed in Colorado.

We followed the route you describe in 2014 with one exception.  Instead of continuing on US 70 to US 380, we stayed with US 54 when it splits from 70 at Tularosa.  Then we turned west on 380 at Carrizozo.  Much shorter route unless you are wanting to go through Ruidoso for some reason.

on US82, just after going through Cloudcroft, be prepared to make extensive use of your exhaust brake.  You will have several steep downhill grades (7%) with each running several miles.  Also one short tunnel just out of Cloudcroft. We have probably driven 82 from Artesia to Alamogordo 6 times with no problems.  The grades are not a problem if you control your speed and don't overuse your brakes.  And the tunnel may look small but we make it just fine in our coach at 13'3".

I agree with Lenp. US 285 NB to I-40 would be my choice. Those heading to Sante Fe should stay on 285 NB. Mostly two lane but good road with light traffic from Clines Corners north.

Other choice would be Carlsbad to 380 West out of Roswell and take either 70 over Ruidoso to 54 Noth or stay on 380 thru El Capitan all the way to I-25 North in Antonio, Socorro I another 25 miles North on I-25. 

Quickest way is as obedb suggested.  I was on 82 from Artesia to Cloudcroft in my Jeep, last month and it is rough most of the way!  I'll be going to Taos via Ruidosa in May and will be taking 285 out of Roswell to I-40 

Every road is rough in a jeep you outta try my 86 cj7 6" lift with 33s as you guys say in Texas Yahoo ride em cowboy ? 

Thanks, but no thanks...I had a CJ7, no frills, just a heather! I also had a Army Surplus in a crate, $55 at auction, almost lost my best friend, putting it together!  :rolleyes::lol: 

My nephew just bought a retired hummer haven't driven it yet enough said let this one get back to the original subject 

Thank you all for your help. Exactly what I was looking for.  I had noticed on the map the scenic highways and wanted to know if negotiable in my rv. Sounds encouraging enough to give a try. Was not looking for the quickest or shortest route. I apologize for not making that clearer. Thanks for the info and help.

I really appreciate the help from this forum.