jrock

Generator Maintenance

Was changing oil and filters on a onan 7500QD when I loosened up the fuel filter fittings I waited for ever for fuel to drain. Was wondering if fuel was running from tank or I just didn't wait long enough for filter to drain. I seamed to get more than the filter holds.

I have changed my 7500QD  several times, don't remember how long it takes it to drain.  I us a large rubber maid tub to catch the fuel.  I know it's hard to remove the filter without having the fuel run down your arm.  

I just assumed that the fuel would not siphon through the electric fuel pump.

Jim

Generator or main engine-- if the level of fuel in the fuel tank is higher than the filter head, fuel will run out until it reaches the same level!

Like everything else...Liquid, sand or rice!  I try to go in for service, with the intention to fill up with fuel after. :)

Call me crazy but I pull the side cover off and service it from there. No oil or fuel running down my arm, while the cover is off I can look around for anything else that might be a concern, chaffed wires, mice nests, belt condition etc....

Good thinking!  I have mud dabber issues on occasion, they'll build their condos, just about anywhere! :rolleyes:   

There is a big cover in the front open so you can check fluids.You can get at it to service it have access to front can get to Back from underback but to get in the sides I guess you would have to drop it out. Could probably use a transmission jack looks like it wouldn't be to bad. I'll see if I can figure out how to insert pix tomorrow.

Herman it's really not to hard to get to filters I was just concerned about unleashing the geni when I removed the line from the tank to the fuel filter. As long as I can still do it I will. I don't mind crawling under to do simple maintnance. I will save my moneys for the complicated stuff that I need the pros for. I am retired and enjoy doing any maintnance on my vehicles that I can do.

Understand, I'm the same way. Is the fuel line into the generator possibly a flexible one? If so you might clamp it some way to close off the fuel long enough to change your filter. 

Herman 

Herman that's a good idea It is a rubber line going in and I did think of that. I will install a shutoff valve when I do it. DW was calling had to drop it for now that's the good thing about retirement if you don't get it today there's always tomorrow.

I feel for you.  I had better access on my old side mounted (in a bay) gas generators.  Not seen one in front before, that was not on a slide!  Geez.

Shut off valve would help..

The item I have run into is that many of the shops do not like to do repair work on them, due to the fact that they need the drop the generators out the bottom to service them. So check with the Onan shops to see if they are equipped to do the job.

Rich

I would be afraid to even ask what it would cost to have Cummins work on it. I think I would just get a transmission jack and drop it myself and if I can't repair take the unit over to them.

4 hours ago, jrock said:

I would be afraid to even ask what it would cost to have Cummins work on it. I think I would just get a transmission jack and drop it myself and if I can't repair take the unit over to them.

John, You might look at a pallet jack as an option to lower the genset.

Let me get this straight, I am going to have to raise the front end of an approx. 35,000 lb coach a minimum of 36" off the ground. Support it some how so that I might safely release all the bolts and electrical connections then lower a 300 to 500 lb generator to the ground with some sort of make shift lift or jack, then repeat the process to save a few hundred bucks. H'mmm :o:wacko:

Sorry, just not for me.

Please be safe and let the trained people with the right equipment do the dangerous jobs. 

Herman