NanMWright

Tires for the Alcan Highway

I'm heading up the Alcan Highway from WA State to Homer AK and it's been suggested that I need husky tires for my 26ft Class C Forest River. The tires I find on the Continental and Michelin Advantage through FMCA look to me like ordinary road tires, but I need some advice on the best tires for my trip and whether I can find them through the FMCA program. Size: 225/75R16. Thanks, Nan

We traveled the full length of the Alcan in 2001 with standard Michelin 235/80r22.5 tires.  No problem.  The only travelers that had tire problems were those with trailers.  Must have been at least 2 dozen we saw with blown tires.

Nan.  Welcome to the Forum!

How old are your current (the last 4 digits of the DOT #) tires?  Over 5 years, replace them with Michelins or Continentals !  Forget the Husky's!!  Don't over load the coach or overthink the tires.:D

Carl

Thanks for the responses. Les Schwaab has some all-terrain tires that are a better price than the Michelins/Continentals. Plus I get local Pacific Northwest service.

But "Don't over-think the ____(everything)______" is good advice for me.

Nan

That would be one rough ride.

I have seen several, custom made off road, all terrain coaches!  Like Earth Roamer.  Their all heavy duty 4 x 4 or 6 x 6.  Never have I seen A/T on a regular 2 wheel drive, any class coach!

2 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

Can't imagine you would want "all terrain" tires on a motorhome.

Agree...that would be one tough ride.  I know lots of folks enjoy AK in a MH...I prefer the back of a 767 and a rent car.

What ever you get, you should be sure to run TPMS on metal bolt in valve stems. Stray stones can puncture or cut and result in a slow leak.

FIVE.  I prefer a cruise and the week or two post cruise tours...rail and bus.  Done about 2 dozen over the past 30 years! :lol:

Same here, Carl.  Our last cruise was with American Cruise Lines from Portland, OR, up the Columbia and Snake Rivers to Clarkston.  Only hassle was getting home at the end...at least it wasn't on United.:(