Sign in to follow this  
F416376

Mixing Tire Brands On Rear Axel

I had to purchase a Samson tire in middle of nowhere when one of my Michelin tires had a blow out.  I am in process of replacing 5 year old Michelin tires on rear axel with new ones. 

The question I have is,  do I need to replace all 4 or only 3 and keep the Samson but keep it on an outside position? Tire size is 275 R70 22.5  for a 40 foot RV Damon Tuscany.  Any thoughts?

My experience with Samson tires: Ill try to make it short. DO NOT BUy CHEAP TIRES. I bought 6 275R70 22.5 and after 4 or 5 trips back and forth to the dealer I finally went to a truck stop to have the tires spin balanced and they couldn't balance them because they were out of round. ( the dealer had already replaced 2 because they were out of round) one trip back at a time. The 75 Truck Stop on Rt44 and 75 in  Wildwood Florida dismounted them cleaned them out because of the bags of beads used to balance them,remounted them and trued them up then they could balance them. The total cost was $710.60. Within 1/4 of a mile the ride had extremely noticeable difference and back to the way my coach used to ride. I am now waiting some kind of refund from the dealer after notifying the general manger, Good Sam's Product Division and Camping World.

More important than brand is to insure that the circumference is extremely close if in a dual installation. Pairing a "short" and "tall" tire means the majority of the load is on only one tire.  BAD!

I have  a number of posts just on Duals. on my blog.

Dealing with duals is something few people ever have to deal with till they get a large RV. Matching duals is critical and if not done correctly can result in shorter life or even a failure.

Please pay special attention to the information on proper matching. As previously mentioned in this thread.

Tires of different design and from different manufacturers can deflect differently even if the measured OC is the same. That is why you should not mix brands in a pair of duals. After reviewing the information if you still have questions you can drop me an email.